classic range rover diesel conversion

REDROVER

Explorer
I'm following this with a great deal of interest. You guys are enamored with the 6.2 and I'm interested to see if the torque converter and trans governor will need changing to use the torque curve of the diesel.
I was looking @ m1008's for use as a farm pickup and the advice I got from several people was that you want an 86 or newer engine. Is this the "j" code you guys refer to ? Apparently the pre 86 engines aren't even considered worthy of rebuilding in some circles. Why the 6.2 instead of the 6.5 ?

the interesting part is that rover v8 3.9 is not a high rpm motor normal gear change happens around 2200 rpm and the 6.2 max rpm is 3400, tq deference between 6.2 and 3.9 is only 60 i think but it comes at much lower rpm 1400. i spoke with many transmission guys the tell me it should shift gears just fine

why 6.2 is because they are very much the same and i found the 6.2. may be if i had 6.5 i would of used that.

in 2004 i had a 1994 hummer h1 with 6.5 i loved that truck. strong motor good tq , milspec 6.2 is as strong as the 6.5 i am hoping that this 6.2 will do just that

i guess i will find out this week :)

Eric

jdholder

Explorer
So cool Eric!! Love to see it in person when you have it done!

Maybe another Death Valley Trip? I was with you for the SCLR one.

headdamage

Observer
This might help:

I have two Range Rover Classics, one is an 1987 3.5L V8 with zf auto box. The other is a 1993 2.5L turbo diesel (200tdi) with the LT77 manual five speed box. The 87 averages around 15 mpg (US) combined city and hwy where as the 93 averages 25 mpg (US).

REDROVER

Explorer
So cool Eric!! Love to see it in person when you have it done!

Maybe another Death Valley Trip? I was with you for the SCLR one.

John? i remember you bro. i am working hard to finish my rover for this coming death valley trip. i spoke with Frank we gonna go again late april

Attachments

• red rover.jpg
    red rover.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 132

thedjjack

Dream it build it
why would i put mbz motor ? when 6.2 fits right in there and u can get parts in every part store.

Because you do not need to get parts for the OM617 and it fits in and you would have room to work on it once it is in there. Inline motor are much easier to service.

(OM617 parts are easy to get in North America, and way easier to get everywhere else)

Each there own.....I just did not get your buy American if you drive a import? But I am easily confused by others builds.

Gren_T

Adventurer
nice thread i'd be interested to know how it drives, esecially with the shift points of the HP.

The RRC is crying out for a larger cap diesel than the 2.5 normally fitted, the sound deadening on the RRC should make for a nice relaxed drive:smiley_drive:; my own 300tdi 90 with ZF averages 24MPG wish fuel was $3 a gallon here.!

Pics.?

regards all

Gren

REDROVER

Explorer
Because you do not need to get parts for the OM617 and it fits in and you would have room to work on it once it is in there. Inline motor are much easier to service.

(OM617 parts are easy to get in North America, and way easier to get everywhere else)

Each there own.....I just did not get your buy American if you drive a import? But I am easily confused by others builds.

and do u realize that rover with all the gear in there is 3000 lb heaver than the Benz?
Benz makes one of the best diesel in the world, but lets be honest that motor can hardly move the car its made to work for.

yes i do buy American now, i got my rover 3 years ago.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Redrover, have you decided if you will sell the adaptor you made? I have a 99 D2 with a blown 4.0 and plan to do the 6.2 conversion. I would be very interested in buying one.

Let me know. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. Sounding great.

LtFuzz

Explorer
what kind of mileage are you getting in town traffic with the motors?

i'm trying to figure out if its worth it money wise. my range rover P38 has 104K miles on it. it doesn't burn oil, and i just took it down to Salt Lake City from Billings Montana. I averaged 18 MPG for the whole trip, including driving around SLC for 1.5 days.

Currently gas is $3.29 here and $3.39. Diesel is running $3.99 most places right now.

math wise the conversion doesn't make sense.

Say with a diesel in a Range Rover and i get 20 mpg. with a 20 gallon tank that's a 400 mile range. cost to fill the tank is $79.80.

with the gas motor getting 18 mpg, i would have a 320 mile range. cost to fill the gaser is $65.80. so i'm paying $0.18 a mile.

with a diesel i would be paying $0.20 per mile.

the cost to maintain my engine on my Range Rover is Around $200 a year using Mobil 1 oil and good ignition parts. That's changing the oil every 5000-7000 miles.

Oil Changes on Diesels generally run $100. so i would calculate running that motor and maintenance costs to be about $350 a year or so.

i love diesel's but i guess i just don't see a cost justification until i blow up my motor.

plus i can't hear or feel my engine inside the cab. i hate noise and vibration. i guess that's why i love mercedes and range rovers.:victory:

My mileage numbers (18 city/22hwy) are sitting 3" over stock with bumper/winch. I don't expect the mileage to drop significantly once I add a roof-rack. Worst case scenario I'll pay an expert to tune the injection pump to keep my numbers in that "100% over gas V8" range.

I imagine you'll see that 18 mpg drop pretty significantly once you start building your P38 up. I haven't heard of any built 3.9/4.0/4.6 Rover getting much over 10 mpg.

If you're keeping your P38 stock, then the 6.2 probably isn't the best choice in a cost-per-mile paradigm.

It was an attractive conversion for me NOT because the 6.2 is the best diesel out there, but because it's a low-cost, relatively reliable motor with wide parts support.

My D1 6.2 (very clean install) was $10k with ARB/Winch. I was also shopping similarly equipped D1 with 200/300 TDi conversions -- they're all in the $20k range. This is assuming you're a consumer-enthusiast like me and don't have the time/ability to source, purchase, and complete an entire motor conversion.

It's a money thing -- the 6.2 is more than powerful enough to be an effective alternative motor. It returns double the mileage in most cases. You can get parts easily. And it's cheap to replace.

DividingCreek

Explorer
the interesting part is that rover v8 3.9 is not a high rpm motor normal gear change happens around 2200 rpm and the 6.2 max rpm is 3400, tq deference between 6.2 and 3.9 is only 60 i think but it comes at much lower rpm 1400. i spoke with many transmission guys the tell me it should shift gears just fine

why 6.2 is because they are very much the same and i found the 6.2. may be if i had 6.5 i would of used that.

in 2004 i had a 1994 hummer h1 with 6.5 i loved that truck. strong motor good tq , milspec 6.2 is as strong as the 6.5 i am hoping that this 6.2 will do just that

i guess i will find out this week :)

Eric

cool. I think you may start something if this goes as smoothly and works as well as you hope.

dragogt

Adventurer
You talkin' about your 2500?

Yeah, I'm sure you could boost the 6.2 into 300hp if you wanted to... but like I said for any sort of mild trail/expo build that would be completely unnecessary. Let's not forget the fulltime 4WD and the R380...

Don't get me wrong! Seeing a D1 or an RRC with a boosted 300hp NA GM diesel would be sweet... but my goal in a 6.2L truck was A) +50-100% mpg return over gas V8 and B) availability of cheap parts.

If you can show me that adding a turbo pushes MPG past the maximum possibility of a NA 6.2 (25 mpg is the highest documented I've seen, using fancy injection pump builds) without affecting reliability, then I'm all ears. 3+ months of 6.2 forum reads has led me to the conclusion that even the stock-ish turbos (like Gale Banks) don't necessarily improve either beyond horsepower numbers.

And hey, if you need more horses for your particular application, then by all means... plenty of people tow with their Rovers, etc etc. Turbos are definitely a legitimate option and are a 6.2 common upgrade -- they just don't appear to meet my anticipated needs (single built vehicle, medium load, long distance). By built I mean 31 maybe 32" tires, armor, roofrack, bumper(s) and winch.

I want a 900 mile truck on a single load (i.e. with 4 jerrycans) in 100% offroad conditions -- not necessarily 4L balls-to-the-wall -- but 900 miles without ever having to worry about fuel. Are there many instances I'll encounter 900 miles without services? Probably not... but hey, this is our hobby, right? And the whole point of the 6.2 is doing this on the cheap. :sombrero:

The 6.2 is damn close to that off the shelf so I'm excited to see what RedRover and his expertise will come up with... :wings:

Missed this the first time...

Correct I was talking about my 2500, as far as a turbo improving MPG the correct one will...

Take a look at these threads..

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?13608-A-Team-Turbo-A-Year-Later

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...eted-a-wastegate.-Welcome-to-the-world-of-ATT

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?28433-what-kind-of-m.p.g.-are-you-getting

It's easy to fit a NV4500 behind a 6.2 or 6.5, the trick is fitting the NV4500 to the LT230. It can be done but I don't think there are any off the shelf kits.

Let me rephrase that..

How hard would it be to put a NV4500 in a LR with a 6.2??

REDROVER

Explorer
cool. I think you may start something if this goes as smoothly and works as well as you hope.

oops :)

part 1 is done, part 2 and 3 are the easy ones

Attachments

• IMG_20110321_210021.jpg
    IMG_20110321_210021.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20110321_205704.jpg
    IMG_20110321_205704.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20110321_210004.jpg
    IMG_20110321_210004.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 222

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I already have the 6.2 talk to me brother :D

sure will do brother :) man i love the 6.2. with one phone call today i got

exhaust manifold gaskets
intake manifold gaskets
thermostat and the gasket
heavy duty starter
oil filter
all the 60 G glow plugs
all belts
alternator
injection pump solenoid 12 volt
glow plug controller
new heavy duty mechanical fuel pump

parts are everywhere and very affordable

ERIC[/QUOTE]

I know that you need to change some parts to run these engines in a civilian vehicle. Do I assume that above is the shopping list of needed parts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater