all the 60 G glow plugs
all belts
alternator
injection pump solenoid 12 volt
glow plug controller
new heavy duty mechanical fuel pump

parts are everywhere and very affordable

ERIC

I know that you need to change some parts to run these engines in a civilian vehicle. Do I assume that above is the shopping list of needed parts?[/QUOTE]

yes sir. fuel shut off selenoid , glow plugs , oil pressure switch and glow plug controler had to be changed every other part is the same as civilian

only the oil pressure switch wasnt included in my list but thats 15$ item no big deal :)

Eric

Paladin

Banned
Anybody know what the deal is from the website selling the 6.2's, the statement at the bottom that says non-US citizens can't buy these engines? Are they seriously afraid that such advanced technology such as a 1980's diesel engine might fall into the wrong hands? Or is there some other angle?

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
You guys need to look at

http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/

they used to do a kit to fit the GM engine into Landrovers, they broke lots of gearboxes I recall,

BTW Today I paid $9 a us gallon for diesel,

its £1.45 a litre over here in places,
my wifes TD5 discovery 2 will average 32mpg, up to 37mpg on a decent run.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
I know that you need to change some parts to run these engines in a civilian vehicle. Do I assume that above is the shopping list of needed parts?

yes sir. fuel shut off selenoid , glow plugs , oil pressure switch and glow plug controler had to be changed every other part is the same as civilian

only the oil pressure switch wasnt included in my list but thats 15$ item no big deal :)

Eric[/QUOTE]

Thanks Eric. I appreciate it.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Anybody know what the deal is from the website selling the 6.2's, the statement at the bottom that says non-US citizens can't buy these engines? Are they seriously afraid that such advanced technology such as a 1980's diesel engine might fall into the wrong hands? Or is there some other angle?

Thats the deal with most anything that is purchased from the DRMO that required an EUC (end user certificate). Basically if you buy a military vehicle on Govt Liquidation an EUC is required after the auction before you take posession. IE they do a quick (6-8weeks) background check before allowing you to take possesion. Part of the approval process is that you agree that you will never sell the military surplus to a non-citizen or export it.

Last edited:

Paladin

Banned
Oh really, so I can't even have a friend buy it, and this engine option is completely closed to me...? :(

Just curious about the why?

LtFuzz

Explorer
Oh really, so I can't even have a friend buy it, and this engine option is completely closed to me...? :(

Just curious about the why?

It's just part of the bureaucracy. Someone wrote that policy decades ago and applied it to everything from mildly sensitive equipment (i.e. radio mounts, etc) to everything else (crappy old diesels.)

There's no emotion behind it. As an Uncle Sam employee, I can tell you that you just get used to it.

I know for a fact it isn't hard to get j-code/milspec motors on the open market... maybe not QUITE as cheap, but cheaper than most. The EUC stuff will never change with gov't surplus stuff.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Oh and someone asked me about the EGR on my truck... there is no EGR, just a 1" rubber hose that directs the NOx out under the passenger fender.

Sometimes people at stoplights roll down their windows and tell me my truck is on fire. :) It's not THAT bad... but sometimes in late afternoon with a low sun you can see it pretty good. Never bothered me in the cabin because it's routed away well.

ArmyRover

Adventurer
They both have their quirks but they are pretty decent motors. I'm pretty use to quirks. I'm mostly fiending for a update :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online