classic range rover diesel conversion

ipgregory

Adventurer
Following this with interest. Any pictures of the underside? Oil pan in relation to front axle mainly but also exhaust routing.

Thanks

Ian

REDROVER

Explorer
Following this with interest. Any pictures of the underside? Oil pan in relation to front axle mainly but also exhaust routing.

Thanks

Ian

no need to change anything as far as oil pan,. the exhaust need a little modification front section, and that's all.

Monday i will post very in hand video showing every part of the job including the adapter we made.

if u know how to handle tools and have welding machine this in no big deal at all.

ERIC

REDROVER

Explorer
mechanically its done 100%, i test drove it on the freeway.. it took me lots of time to finish the job, the only thing that is land rover on this truck is the body and axles.

brand new water proof connectors and wiring was made, 200 amp alternator new non electric seats, 100% electric shut off switch. 2 separate cooling fun each one with separate switch, manual glow plug heating system. under the seats storage boxes. double battery setup

much much more.

now i can say i have the rover i wanted. :) today i was running her 50/50 blend of used transmission oil

tomorrow video time

kit it very easy to make. U will see that in my video.
will i do it on my next rover? no i wont. i can get much stronger Trans 4l80e that fits right in and can hold up to 500 lb torque , and make adapter for trans case. :) and new drive shafts

that's my next project, adapter for LT230 to fit 4L80E

dubl_t

so long story short, the ZF shift points are "good"?

also, did you run your UTF through a centrifuge?

Last edited:

ipgregory

Adventurer
If you're considering the 4l80e, then why not the ZF-4HP24E out of a DII or P38? Since you're going to have to get a Compushift or something to control the 4L80e why not keep most of your work and go with the 24E which is stronger than the 22 you have in there? You don't have to mess around with T-Case adaptors and stuff if you stick with a LR ZF.

Essentially the same swap you just did but with the added bonus of a stronger box, adjustable TC lock up and shift points to tune the box to the Engine/Truck?

REDROVER

Explorer
so long story short, the ZF shift points are "good"?

also, did you run your UTF through a centrifuge?

yes the shift pints are the same. i dont know what utf means.? u mean used trans oil? i mix it 50/50 with diesel. first i filter it using a fuel filter and magnet.

dubl_t

UTF is used tranny fluid. a centrifuge is the way to go for cleaning used oils. I'm sure with your machining abilities you could build a nice pneumatic one.

Nice job btw.

Any thoughts on adapter prices?

jrose609

Explorer
yes the shift pints are the same. i dont know what utf means.? u mean used trans oil? i mix it 50/50 with diesel. first i filter it using a fuel filter and magnet.

You are mixing tranny oil 50/50 with diesel and running it through your motor? I'm not familiar with using waste oil in a diesel. Veggie oil, bio diesel, yes. Not waste oil. How does it run? Because of the 50/50 I'm assuming you don't have to heat it up?

DividingCreek

Explorer
You are mixing tranny oil 50/50 with diesel and running it through your motor? I'm not familiar with using waste oil in a diesel. Veggie oil, bio diesel, yes. Not waste oil. How does it run? Because of the 50/50 I'm assuming you don't have to heat it up?

When I change fuel filters I always fill the new filter with atf before spinning it on. TDI injecteors are famous for coking etc. Seems to help in those minor doses. If you research it online it depends what diesel you are running as to positive and negative aspects. Basically its a no no on modern diesels based on the writings of others.

REDROVER

Explorer
When I change fuel filters I always fill the new filter with atf before spinning it on. TDI injecteors are famous for coking etc. Seems to help in those minor doses. If you research it online it depends what diesel you are running as to positive and negative aspects. Basically its a no no on modern diesels based on the writings of others.

yes in fact it is a big no no to newer diesel motors. but older ones love the oil.

I might have missed it, but have you hooked up air conditioning?

How is the cooling? Are you using the stock radiator?

Btw, I am about half way through acquiring the bits and pieces to do this conversion on my RRC...just wondering about the issues I am going to run into.

You mentioned a slight issue with the exhaust. Can you explain that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk