Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Would really like to build up a 70's F250 Crew Cab, and have OVRLND build me a camper for it, and skin it like a vintage FWC.

_78_bedsides_006.jpg

5a58d6061e4c800395f734e598ef5f01.jpg

can you dig it? :D

39592761_631891753878809_5149847808618004480_n.jpg

Man, what does that thing get? 6MPG? :D :D

I wouldn't mind a Bronco of that vintage. Just sleep in the back.

Clutch

<---Pass
Man, what does that thing get? 6MPG? :D:D

I wouldn't mind a Bronco of that vintage. Just sleep in the back.

If you're lucky! Modern engine swap of course though! Think a LS makes the most sense. Though Cummins is supposed to have something coming out bigger than the 2.8. or even that 5.0 that is in the Nissan.

https://www.cummins.com/engines/cummins-50l-v8-turbo-diesel

Or what would be really cool is to toss in a Toyota 4.5 diesel and drive train.

http://dieseltoys.com/landcruiser-200-diesel

I still have my ultimate moto hauler/camper/vintage cool in mind.

IMG_0852_2-L.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd vote 6bt swap on an old big Ford.

Everyone says that, but they are so dang heavy. Does a number on front end components.

Alas I hate vehicle projects these days...and a Ram Prospector is already done. Waaaay overkill though. And waaaay more than I want to spend.

ram-truck-.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Leave the 70's trucks in the 70's. I see nothing but weekend after weekend of constant wrenching in that pic! No fun.

Topic pivot. I am looking at sliders. I don't need HREW DOM 1.209 Double-walled thermo cooled sliders you could drop a 10 ton boulder on. I wish we could get sliders like the stock Rubicon's. Simple, light and effective. The only one I've found that is close to that is from Rocky-Road. They don't have one pictured, but it's like the one below WITHOUT the outer loop. So just the bar that runs under the rocker panel. I think that will do the trick. It's cheaper, lighter, and would probably do the job fine for me. Although I wouldn't mind a step for the kids. I'll have to see how much weight that saves.

https://www.rocky-road.com/tacoma-rock-sliders.html

tacoma-kickout-slider-medium.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Here you go @bkg, speaking of linking the rear on a Tacoma. Notice anything else different with this truck too?

20140413_140016_zps76e15125.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Leave the 70's trucks in the 70's. I see nothing but weekend after weekend of constant wrenching in that pic! No fun.

Topic pivot. I am looking at sliders. I don't need HREW DOM 1.209 Double-walled thermo cooled sliders you could drop a 10 ton boulder on. I wish we could get sliders like the stock Rubicon's. Simple, light and effective. The only one I've found that is close to that is from Rocky-Road. They don't have one pictured, but it's like the one below WITHOUT the outer loop. So just the bar that runs under the rocker panel. I think that will do the trick. It's cheaper, lighter, and would probably do the job fine for me. Although I wouldn't mind a step for the kids. I'll have to see how much weight that saves.

https://www.rocky-road.com/tacoma-rock-sliders.html

tacoma-kickout-slider-medium.jpg

They do say it is best to leave nostalgia in the past. I'll start thinking about it, then say to myself that is waaaay too much work.

Dunno, if I was going to do sliders, probably do something more stealth.

http://www.4x4accessoriesonline.com...s/stealth-rock-slider-toyota-hilux-side-view/

superior-stealth-rock-sliders-toyota-landcruiser-200-series-6.jpg

stealth-rock-slider-toyota-hilux-side-view.jpg

GB_Willys_2014

Ha!

Not a total poser ;):p:D Do try and hit the dirt as much as possible, so I can justify the ARB and well the truck itself. I'll go do some "micro-overlanding" if I have a long lunch...this spot isn't too far from work. I'll go plunk around for an hour or two, eat lunch then head back to work. Doesn't everyone do that, yeah? :D

View attachment 481608

The "Westfalia" and "<---Pass" stickers are homage to my old VW. Manual Gear Box Preservation Society sticker is the other.

View attachment 481609

Even have a moto trailhead 10 minutes from work, and I run up the mountain on singletrack. Bike is plated...I'll trailer it to work, when I get off..I'll change into the clown suit, then ride over. Awful here I tell you, just awful!

22406524_10155837583134630_1963971220746706720_n.jpg
This is awesome!

I don't really need another themed T-shirt.

But, our society is built on "wants" right?

:)

https://thecurbshop.com/collections/tmgps

phsycle

Adventurer
They do say it is best to leave nostalgia in the past. I'll start thinking about it, then say to myself that is waaaay too much work.

Dunno, if I was going to do sliders, probably do something more stealth.

http://www.4x4accessoriesonline.com...s/stealth-rock-slider-toyota-hilux-side-view/

superior-stealth-rock-sliders-toyota-landcruiser-200-series-6.jpg

stealth-rock-slider-toyota-hilux-side-view.jpg

Yeah, that looks good. Kind of what I want. Looks like they don't make them for Tacoma's, since they're AU based. Can't find anything like that here. Except for the Rocky road sliders. That might be the way I'll go.

I like it. Couple little things, those wheels look like they would get chewed up pretty quick in ruts and rocks. If Chevy can't figure out how to mount rear shocks and a spare tire...what else did they cut corners on? Even my 1st Gen Tacoma has the rear shocks tucked up better...and that thing is how old?

Solo Motorsports even has a relocation kit for the 1st Gens to tuck it even more.

https://www.solomotorsports.com/sho...ion-toyota-parts/toyota-w-y-shock-hoops-rear/

Toyota-Suspension-Shock-Hoops-Mounts-Rear-1-1.jpg

In the Bison video @19:45, gotta love the AEV Engineer getting done talking about how great the rear diff skid plate is, then glancing at the rear shock mount and quickly turning away.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm running Mobtown's most basic slider. No kick-out, no fill plates, plain HREW and bolt-on. I'd go with them again without a doubt. They do extend a touch far to be visually appealing but functionally they are pretty much right on. Any closer and they would not work at all as a step and probably would start to lose effectiveness when you're tipped off camber. You have to imagine a vertical line through rock, tree or Hi-Lift normal to the ground through your roof and picture what's just waiting to dent the top of your sheet metal or break a window. But they don't stick out so far that I hit my shins or knees or begin to get in the way off road trying to work around stuff.

BTW, I agree that DOM is usually unnecessary in casual use. The advantage to DOM is the work hardening of drawing the tube increases it's yield curve. So it is stronger by almost twice. If I could go back and do it again, if the price bump isn't much, I would get DOM though. Most shops use so much DOM that the material cost isn't much so it's a situation of might as well. At the time I bought my sliders Mobtown was still pretty small and the DOM price bump was significant. Now all they use is DOM so had I waited about 2 years I would have paid the same but gotten DOM. If you cheap out like I did you'll notice little dents and dings in the tube over time from rock edges. Also since the DOM is stronger your sliders can be lighter, obvious advantage there if you can get the shop to use 0.083 wall tubing instead of 0.120.

IMG_1197_mid.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm running Mobtown's most basic slider. No kick-out, no fill plates, plain HREW and bolt-on. I'd go with them again without a doubt. They do extend a touch far to be visually appealing but functionally they are pretty much right on. Any closer and they would not work at all as a step and probably would start to lose effectiveness when you're tipped off camber. You have to imagine a vertical line through rock, tree or Hi-Lift normal to the ground through your roof and picture what's just waiting to dent the top of your sheet metal or break a window. But they don't stick out so far that I hit my shins or knees or begin to get in the way off road trying to work around stuff.

BTW, I agree that DOM is usually unnecessary in casual use. The advantage to DOM is the work hardening of drawing the tube increases it's yield curve. So it is stronger by almost twice. If I could go back and do it again, if the price bump isn't much, I would get DOM though. Most shops use so much DOM that the material cost isn't much so it's a situation of might as well. At the time I bought my sliders Mobtown was still pretty small and the DOM price bump was significant. Now all they use is DOM so had I waited about 2 years I would have paid the same but gotten DOM. If you cheap out like I did you'll notice little dents and dings in the tube over time from rock edges. Also since the DOM is stronger your sliders can be lighter, obvious advantage there if you can get the shop to use 0.083 wall tubing instead of 0.120.

View attachment 481787

Nice. I'll check them out. They look pretty discreet. Wish they were a bit closer to the west, though.

By the way, if you're looking to lighten things up:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54111451

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54112161

Clutch

<---Pass
In the Bison video @19:45, gotta love the AEV Engineer getting done talking about how great the rear diff skid plate is, then glancing at the rear shock mount and quickly turning away.
*chuckle*

The cost of that thing, and they couldn't address that?

Even with the Prospector...very cool and all, but all it is a spacer lift and some fender cutting. All well of course...AEV badging is worth at least another $10K, yan know? ;) :)

Clutch

<---Pass

View attachment 481787

Those are nice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven