Coleman Stove Mod?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
So, I love white gas stoves, with one small exception.

I have a medical issue that makes them hard to pump up, especially when my hands are cold. I had an idea recently, the sort of awesome idea that is either going to end in total success or a huge ball of white gas fire... Maybe both?

Has anyone ever drilled the cap of a stove for a schrader valve and pressurized their tank with a small hand pump, regulated on board air, or a hose from their spare tire?

Did you live to tell about it? Would you like to try it first? I'll hold your beer...

Nate

Zeiderman

Adventurer
Meh. I'd like to see to see the involuntary astronaut part.

So long as no one gets hurt mind you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

thefishhawk

Adventurer
They used to make a deal called the Presh-R-Matic, used a CO2 cartridge. Might still be able to find one around on ebay or the web.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Nate, are you a Veteran by chance?

No, I did not serve, although I gave it very serious thought in college. I eventually decided my best service to the country would be as a taxpayer.

I appreciate all of the concerns for safety. Generally I am the one reading a post and envisioning sketchy fireballs and short lived news stories.

I was also pretty sure that I've never had too many truly original ideas, so it is cool to hear that others have done this. I was thinking of putting a pressure gauge on the valve and using the regular pump to establish some sort of reasonable range first.

If I never update this thread... It may have gone VERY poorly. If it only goes medium-poorly, I'll be sure to post pics!

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I would contact Coleman and ask them how much pressure the white stove pump produces. They must have a number for you,
that would be where I'd start to see the feasibility of bike pump. Over pumping could cause stove failure at best, small fireball at worst.

samer0214

The hand pump idea is still safer than on board air or a spare tire. No matter how careful you are, I don't think you'd be able to regulate the pressure. I would incorporate a blow off valve regardless, so as not to exceed the working pressure of the stove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3