Colorado ZR2 and Tacoma TRD Pro compared

b9ev

Adventurer
I am sure if Toyota thought the Hilux would sell over here they would bring it. I am guessing very few people would purchase one as most want a lifestyle truck like the Tacoma or can be convinced to buy a Tundra.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yaaaaawn, both kinda lack luster. Awful lot of cash for vehicles that don't do anything well. As they say...a fool and his money.

Too bad we don't get the better versions of these two trucks that Toyota and GM offer elsewhere in the World. The Hilux and the Holden.

Gimme a 2000+ lbs payload, 30+ mpg, manual trans...for $25K then I could get excited.

The ZR2 and TRD Pro are just marketing bull****.

My guess is the way ford packages options you should be able to get a base model ranger, with options a la carte to save some money. We shall see. The zr2 is nice IMO but not 40k plus nice then again no midsize is.

Maximum trailer weight: 5,000 pounds (ZR2); 6,400 pounds with Tow Package (TRD Pro)

Wow...not impressed with the Zr2 tow figures. My 09 Tacoma Off road was horrible at towing my 18ft Hudson even empty. Miss that truck but too many cons to keeping it. I keep looking at the pros but crap that interior sucks. My wifes 4runner is great, hate how it drives though.

Just buy the Z71 and you can tow 7,000 if you want. Small lift and tires and you are good to go. ZR2 is not a work truck.

FYI there is a video interview with a GM ZR2 engineer who states that the reduction in towing was nothing due to anything suspension or powertrain related capability wise but rather because with the ZR2 front bumper there is reduced air flow through the radiator and GM wanted to be cautious that there was never a potential overheat so they reduced the tow rating.

Personally I take that to mean that it'll still tow what the V6 and Diesel ratings are but YOU need to watch your temps and plan accordingly

Clutch

<---Pass
My guess is the way ford packages options you should be able to get a base model ranger, with options a la carte to save some money. We shall see. The zr2 is nice IMO but not 40k plus nice then again no midsize is.

I am not holding my breath.

My better half said said last night I am getting new truck next year whether I like it not. Highly doubtful anything on the market that I'll like, since I am grumpy ol' cuss. :ylsmoke:

Lol...go read some Aussie reviews of the Holden. Granted there are some design differences between the global version and the NA one, but the reviews I read indicated that there was nothing too special about it compared to the other pickup's they get over there. Payload differences aside, the ZR2 is likely quite a bit more capable, in stock form, than the version that the rest of the world gets (i say likely because I don't know if anyone has or ever will do a head-to-head comparison). At least on paper, the ZR2's front and rear lockers and multimatic suspension are pretty clutch...no pun intended...and if i recall correctly, the Holden doesn't come with either.

I do agree with you on Toyota bringing the Hilux over there though...TRD has pretty much become a badge/appearance design brand. It would be nice to see them put out something of substance in the near future.

it is the little things that separate the Holden from the Chevy. frame is 40% stronger hence the greater payload (I am assuming), manual trans, and diesel available in the base model.

Having to spend $40K++ to get lockers is asinine. At least to me it is...not too many agree with me now, I know. Most get all starry eyed over fluff and cream their jeans. :D

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
it is the little things that separate the Holden from the Chevy. frame is 40% stronger hence the greater payload (I am assuming),

What is your source for that?

manual trans, and diesel available in the base model.

Manuals are disappearing from America; it is what it is. As for the diesel availability, wait for them to depreciate some on the used market and you can have your pick of the litter.

Having to spend $40K++ to get lockers is asinine. At least to me it is...not too many agree with me now, I know. Most get all starry eyed over fluff and cream their jeans over it. :D

$40k and up is a lot. Is the ZR2 or even a TRD Tacoma worth that amount? Not sure, though I'll note you're getting much more substance for your money with the ZR2 trim vs. what you get with the TRD trim....front and rear lockers, by themselves, are a huge advantage. Also the $40k+ price point is in line with what other mid-sized offroad SUV's are going for (Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock).

And again, I really encourage you to go read some Aussie reviews of the Holden Colorado; it's had a somewhat tepid reception compared to other 4x4 offerings. At least on paper, the ZR2 seems to be a fairly capable offroader by comparison. I suppose we'll see shortly if the owner feedback matches all the media hype it's been generating.

If nothing else, we should all be thankful that GM took the risk in putting together a diesel, 4x4, front/rear locked pickup, because no one else here has put out that sort of vehicle. Pricing sucks. So wait a few years to let someone else take the depreciation hit and buy the vehicle when it's more appropriately valued.

Last edited:

smlobx

Wanderer
I'm not trying to be critical but have those of you that are complaining of the cost priced a new vehicle, any vehicle, lately?
The prices are insane but it is what it is..
My Super Duty just cost me close to 65k...I understand why the average age of vehicles on the road is now about 11 years old...

Outback

Explorer
The reported MPGs on the Durmax Diesel have been out now for a few months. Look on this forum and you can judge for your self. For sure 40K plus is a lot of money. BUT I'm tired of working on old stuff. Besides once I build one (old truck) the way I like it I'm near that 40K mark anyway. Ive been waiting for a mid sized diesel 4x4 to come out. Jeep Toyota Gm etc etc. GM is first across that finish line and I applaud them for finally bringing to the market what consumers really want. A high MPG vehicle with good HP and gobs of Torque. Even if it gets the combined 32 MPG that the EPA says it will get then I am one happy camper. Im tired of 15 mpg and less vehicles in this day and age in the kind of vehicle I would want to drive. Toyota and Jeep make a great vehicles for sure, But so does GM. Time to see how the ZR2 runs.

The one down side for the Colorado diesel is if you drive it a short distance to work. It needs to heat up to burn off the crud in the catalytic convertor or what ever its called in a diesel. You need to get her warmed up to operating temps. Idleing does not count. I will not have that problem nor will my wife. So if you want one to go 2 mile to work and back then get the gas model.

onemanarmy

Explorer
FYI there is a video interview with a GM ZR2 engineer who states that the reduction in towing was nothing due to anything suspension or powertrain related capability wise but rather because with the ZR2 front bumper there is reduced air flow through the radiator and GM wanted to be cautious that there was never a potential overheat so they reduced the tow rating.

Personally I take that to mean that it'll still tow what the V6 and Diesel ratings are but YOU need to watch your temps and plan accordingly

What kind of ridiculousness is that?

Trucks are supposedly built for working and pulling......and GM would rather make a cool looking huge *** plastic bumper instead of rating the truck to work harder?

Aesthetics have completely ruined trucks

Clutch

<---Pass
What is your source for that?

GM stated that the US Colorado has a 40% lighter frame.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/colorado/2015/2015-chevrolet-colorado-first-look/

Manuals are disappearing from America; it is what it is. As for the diesel availability, wait for them to depreciate some on the used market and you can have your pick of the litter.

Yeah I know I am dinosaur,...have been crying for years about the extinction of manual trans.

Not sure I would gamble on a used diesel...repair cost just aren't worth for the 10+/- mpg gain. Yous knows whats I mean?

$40k and up is a lot. Is the ZR2 or even a TRD Tacoma worth that amount? Not sure, though I'll note you're getting much more substance for your money with the ZR2 trim vs. what you get with the TRD trim....front and rear lockers, by themselves, are a huge advantage. Also the $40k+ price point is in line with what other mid-sized offroad SUV's are going for (Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock).

And again, I really encourage you to go read some Aussie reviews of the Holden Colorado; it's had a somewhat tepid reception compared to other 4x4 offerings. At least on paper, the ZR2 seems to be a fairly capable offroader by comparison. I suppose we'll see shortly if the owner feedback matches all the media hype it's been generating.

If nothing else, we should all be thankful that GM took the risk in putting together a diesel, 4x4, front/rear locked pickup, because no one else here has put out that sort of vehicle. Pricing sucks. So wait a few years to let someone else take the depreciation hit and buy the vehicle when it's more appropriately valued.

Yeah I don't get spending $40K+ on a truck that can't do much. They really aren't that good offroad either...so many other options out there that are much better offroad, and for much much cheaper...SXS, Quad, dirt bike, etc...

I have read the reviews, in other parts of the world has the Colorado low on the list compared to other offerings. But US Colorado vs World Colorado, toss some better shocks and lockers on a base Colorado...the World Colorado is the better truck for doing truck stuff. ZR2 (like the TRD Pro) is just a play truck...where I want a truck that can do both.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm not trying to be critical but have those of you that are complaining of the cost priced a new vehicle, any vehicle, lately?
The prices are insane but it is what it is..
My Super Duty just cost me close to 65k...I understand why the average age of vehicles on the road is now about 11 years old...

Yeah I priced them, it is fricken ridiculous for gawd damn pick 'em truck. :D

Loose easy long term credit is to blame is my guess. Have a hunch that the next economic crash is coming in 5-7 years, as it doesn't look like the majority of people have learned from the last one, as those Sixty Five Thousand dollar trucks driving around with mortgages on them is any inkling...

We don't do too bad between the two of us, but I refuse to spend that kind of money on something that is just going to depreciate. It is silly.

Think I am over vehicles in general...used to be a car nut, and now I am beginning to loath them. They all seem horrible to me, and commanding high dollar...just don't get it anymores.

Last edited:

eNVe

Trucks are supposedly built for working and pulling......and GM would rather make a cool looking huge *** plastic bumper instead of rating the truck to work harder?

I somewhat agree with your statement. However, the ZR2 was engineered for off road capabilities. Sure, the standard Colorado/Canyon can off road, but the lower front air dam will scrape on things and break off. Stock, the approach, departure and breakover angles are worse. The ZR2 also has to meet crash safety standards, so there are limitations as to how much bumper can be removed. As far as I know, ARB is the only manufacturer that makes an aftermarket off road bumper for any truck and still maintains the truck's safety systems (i.e. air bags). And they don't offer one for the domestic Colorado/Canyon.

The ZR2 is built to work. It just does a different job.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Last year I drove a then all new Tacoma TRD and Chevy Colorado back to back. I've always been a Toyota guy, but I could not believe how much more refined the Colorado was. The interior is much nicer, soft touch materials everywhere, great ergonomics and build quaility. The Tacoma felt like, well, a Tacoma from 2005...Same truck, new engine, transmission and now major recalls cropping up. They are selling on reputation, if you cross shop with the competition it becomes apparent that there are better trucks. Now you have the ZR2, same great truck, but with a diesel, factory lockers and hi tech suspension from the factory, Incredible.

Last edited:

straps57

Observer

Mid sized trucks are not built for working and pulling. If you want a work truck get a 3/4 ton. You can get one for the same price as the Colorado and never complain about not being able to haul enough again. Bad argument.

Dalko43

Explorer
GM stated that the US Colorado has a 40% lighter frame.

40% lighter doesn't necessarily equate to being 40% weaker. You'd have to go find what out what GM actually rated the frame and axles for for both platforms to make that kind of determination.

Yeah I don't get spending $40K+ on a truck that can't do much. They really aren't that good offroad either...so many other options out there that are much better offroad, and for much much cheaper...SXS, Quad, dirt bike, etc...

I have read the reviews, in other parts of the world has the Colorado low on the list compared to other offerings. But US Colorado vs World Colorado, toss some better shocks and lockers on a base Colorado...the World Colorado is the better truck for doing truck stuff. ZR2 (like the TRD Pro) is just a play truck...where I want a truck that can do both.

Well we're getting way off track here. If you want to go with a cheaper option like a quad for dirtbike, go for it. For the people who want a mid-sized, diesel 4x4 pickup in North America, the GM ZR2 makes a pretty compelling case (it's really the only option in that market segment for now). And $40k+, while not an easy price to stomach, seems pretty in line with what comparable 4x4's are going for on the market.

Other than the lack of a manual and the 40% heavier frame, I'm not sure what you're getting with the global Holden platform that you don't get with the NA version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman