Compact AWD Overland 2006 Subaru Forester "Blackberry"

Saguache

Adventurer
Howdy Folks,

You guys are building 'em a lot closer to what I hope to achieve with the 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5l X I purchased summer 2011 so I've decided I'm moving my build journal over here. My goal is to build a mini-overland vehicle with all-wheel drive capable of taking me from the north end of North America to the south end of South America. The trip is more of a dream than anything else, but who knows, maybe some day I'll be able to put it together and make it happen.

In the mean time, my hobbies tend to focus my attention on the outdoors and my work necessitates a lot of long distance travel. Both of these routine endeavors are a whole lot easier and cheaper if I'm self sufficient.

Living Quarters (complete)
Maggiolina Grand Tour Med
Shipping Crate
Anti-Condensation Mat (med)
M/10A-M - Winter Cap for medium Maggiolina

Blackberry with the top by sanityfactory

Rainy Morning by sanityfactory

Camp #2 Sawtooth GL, ID by sanityfactory

Stevens Pass, WA by sanityfactory

Suspension and Traction Retrofit

King Springs
KYB GR2 Struts
Team Dynamics Pro Rally Wheels 15 x 7"
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO (215/75R15) 100/97S C

Mobile Comms

ATT Mobile Hotspot Elevated 4G
Monthly Mobile Service Fee (5 GB)
Subaru Forester 2003-2008 - ProClip Angled Mount
Pioneer AppRadio SPH-DA01 Car Flash Media Player - 6.1" Touchscreen LCD Display

Rolling Kitchen

50% Cargo Area Drawer Kitchen (custom)
Origo 3000 Non-Pressurized 2-Burner Alcohol Stove
Water system with sink
Engle 43qt Fridge/Freezer
Dutch Oven (7qt)
Cutting Board
50% Cargo Area Stowage Cabinet (custom)

AUX Power BUS

PowerFilm F15-3600 60w Folding Solar Panel
PowerFilm RA-9 Charge Controller
PowerFilm RA-7 15' Extension Cord
IBS-DBS Dual Battery System with Microprocessor
IBS Swivel Mount
Optima Yellow Top D34/78 Gel Cell

Under Armor

Primitive Racing - Forester Ultra Armor
Primitive Racing - Forester Front Oil Access Hatch Option

General Mods

20% Window Tint
Paint Magiollina tan to match interior
ARB style front bumper (may have to be custom fab)
ARB style rear bumper with swing arm tire carrier (again with the fab) and spare fuel tray
Repurpose spare tire well for storage
Snorkel

Lighting

2x 10" Rigid Industries "E" Series LE Light Bar (front bumper) separate circuit
1x 30" Rigid Industries "E" Series LE Light Bar (below MGT on load bar) separate circuit
1x 10" Rigid Industries "E" Series LE Light Bar (rear above hatch) integrated circuit with reverse lighting
2x 4" Rigid Industries "E" Series LE Light Bar (internal rear hatch for down lighting and right side vehicle down lighting) separate circuit

Saguache

Adventurer
foresterwithsnorkellx8.jpg

Here's a photo of someone else's snorkel, but this is more or less what I want to do to resolve the potential of killing my engine at stream fords and river crossings. Its actually a pretty common problem for these vehicles.

Interestingly, the Subaru Forester is a really popular platform for overland expeditions in Australia and the Czech Republic. If you get an opportunity and are interested in building your own you can learn a lot at via this web board. Super friendly bunch of guys (mostly named Bruce) here who are really welcoming

http://offroadsubarus.com

There is also another really good resource hosted here in the states, but lifted Subarus are generally a minority on this web board. Good information however.

http://www.subaruforester.org

Marc1904

Different
same basic plan as me. :) looking forward to seeing your build come together! i just placed my order for springs, skids and spacers. the jouney begins...

when you're on your way from N to S America... stop by San Diego and i'll do the southern part with you!

old1959

Nice build. I am considering a Forester and almost all of my driving will be streets (snow & ice since I live in Washington) with a few dirt roads. My question is have any of you driven a Forester on something like the White Rim trail in the Moab, Utah area? I ask since I have done the route on a motorcycle and think this would be about the toughtest road I would do in a car. Thanks.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I forget where, but I did read the account of a Subaru driving the length of White Rim Trail. Pretty sure it was stock with skids.

BVClimber

Observer
Wow, thread revival! sorry to dig this up but i'm really curious about your set up. I have a 2007 fozzie with a medium maggiolina air top on the roof, and have lifted it with the exact set up you've mentioned... raised king springs, kyb's and the general grabbers slightly taller at 65's instead of 60's. My wife and I plan to do a 3-6 month tour of the USA (we are from Alberta, Canada) and I'm looking for ideas regarding the kitchen/storage combo. We also have a 60 lb dog... ha, we don't mind being in a small space, it'll work. Would love to see more pics!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77