Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I emailed Cooper Tire yesterday regarding this topic. The response I got said we should see the S/T Maxx in 255/86 16 in 2014. Until then, the S/T will still be available and will be phased out after the S/T Maxx is introduced in the same size. :)

Good news! (and welcome).

D

Deleted member 13060

I emailed Cooper Tire yesterday regarding this topic. The response I got said we should see the S/T Maxx in 255/86 16 in 2014. Until then, the S/T will still be available and will be phased out after the S/T Maxx is introduced in the same size. :)

I e-mailed the same question to Cooper regarding a 255/80R17 in the new S/T MAXX........... They said "this spring". Now it's just a waiting game.

cdnabn49

Observer
well I am finally running in snow and ice - they track extremely well, are sure footed and deliver in the snow, pretty decent on ice - although not a dedicated ice snow tire - so over I am really digging this tire I am extremely pleased with them, well done Cooper Tires!

*** Update ***
more winter driving results = fantastic!!! These tires are awesome, these tires handle superbly in the snow and ice
:victory:

jim65wagon

*** Update ***
more winter driving results = fantastic!!! These tires are awesome, these tires handle superbly in the snow and ice
:victory:

I will agree! We drove up to PA over the holiday weekend. On Friday we ran into snow on I80 and up into NW PA. Got a total of 9 inches where we were, and ran on fresh slush, unplowed driveways and plowed but still snow covered roads. On the way back south we ran into snow from Berkely Springs to Warrenton. This picked up quickly and we were soon 4WD in the slippery conditions. It looked like this for hours:

Never had an issue, and at sanely driven speeds the truck stayed sure-footed. I know it was slick enough for several cars and SUVs to be facing the wrong way and in the ditch on I66 outside of Front Royal....

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I need help ASAP!!!

I can get (4) BFG ATs for $900 otd.
Or get (4) Cooper ST Maxx for $1100 otd.

Both in 275/70r18...are the coopers worth the extra $200???

Please help!

I like the looks of the Coopers more and would prefer something more aggressive.

jim65wagon

I need help ASAP!!!

I can get (4) BFG ATs for $900 otd.
Or get (4) Cooper ST Maxx for $1100 otd.

Both in 275/70r18...are the coopers worth the extra $200???

Please help!

I like the looks of the Coopers more and would prefer something more aggressive.

This is my opinion, ( and I'm sure there are others with differing opinions) but the ST Maxx is better than the BFG AT at everything and I would spend a little extra cash to get them.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Thanks, Jim. I went ahead and ordered them...ended up getting the ST MAXXs for $997 OTD. I didn't think $250 installed per tire was too bad. What really breaks my heart is that Company A advertises that they'll beat any local price...when I told them that Company B was at $997, they told me Company B was either lying or selling me a different tire than what they were quoting.

I like Company A and wanted to patronize their business but I think it's distasteful to call someone a liar when you don't know it to be 100% true and I don't like the fact that the first thing they say when answering the phone is "Thank you for calling ________, we'll beat any prices, guaranteed".

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I got em on!! They certainly look bad@ss but can't try them out offroad until this weekend. Got them mounted on the 18 hole steelie work truck wheels. Couldn't be happier. Big difference from the retired factory 255/70r18s.

p nut

butter
I like Company A and wanted to patronize their business but I think it's distasteful to call someone a liar when you don't know it to be 100% true and I don't like the fact that the first thing they say when answering the phone is "Thank you for calling ________, we'll beat any prices, guaranteed".

Yeah, had a similar experience here. Local shop was advertising on TV that if they couldn't beat competitor's price, I'd get the tires for free. When Toyota was having a buy 3 get 1 free special last November, I took them the quote and they said they can't get me the BFG's for that price without losing money. So I said, then do I get the tires for free since they couldn't match or beat? They stuttered a bit and said it only applies to tires in stock. Bunch of crock.

By the way, that is some awesome pricing on the BFG's. Around here, the Coopers are cheaper than BFG's, but nowhere close to what you got them for.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
been meaning to get mine ordered but been sick the last couple of days, so hopefully going friday to get them ordered and have them mounted by next friday, going with 265-75-16 and was quoted $1107 out the door for 5 tires by a local company, i bought my first s/t's from them and trust them, plus they beat my other quotes by $100 and they are within 5 miles of my house

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
That's awesome. They are tough looking. Everyone that sees that sees my truck thinks they're a mud terrain. They definitely don't sound or feel like a mud terrain. The factory bridgestones made the truck feel like I was driving a Camry...with the load range E tires, it now feels like a truck.

Now I just need to try them off pavement.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Yeah, had a similar experience here. Local shop was advertising on TV that if they couldn't beat competitor's price, I'd get the tires for free. When Toyota was having a buy 3 get 1 free special last November, I took them the quote and they said they can't get me the BFG's for that price without losing money. So I said, then do I get the tires for free since they couldn't match or beat? They stuttered a bit and said it only applies to tires in stock. Bunch of crock.

By the way, that is some awesome pricing on the BFG's. Around here, the Coopers are cheaper than BFG's, but nowhere close to what you got them for.

I thought the quote was pretty good too. I was pretty shocked by how low the BFG quote was. That's what made the decision so difficult in the beginning. When I got the quote for $997 for the ST Maxxs...I figured what the hell. BFGs are great tires but I wanted something different and more aggressive. My 4yo son is obsessed with mud, jacked up trucks, lift kits, mud terrain tires etc...the st Maxxs get his approval and allow me to enjoy a somewhat all-terrain tire. Win/win

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk