costco coleman solar setup

jjstahl3

Explorer
so walking thru costco today I saw this?? comes with a 200 watt modified sine wave inverter for 199 - any thoughts?

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 129

orangeTJ

Explorer
Doesn't seem like a bad deal for 55 watts worth of solar. The key though is "how big are the panels" and how does that size compare to similar wattage panels.

Rando

Explorer
Hmm, seems like a fairly good deal if you want an all in one solution with good customer service from costco. I think this kit is the same or very close to ones that have been offered from amazon (see another post here), and sold under a variety of names. However it does appear to have a couple of drawbacks. These are amorphous silicon panels, so the efficiency is significantly lower than crystalline panels. It takes about 2-3x the area of amorphous panels to generate the same power as a crystalline panel. Particularly if you were thinking of mounting these to a rack or your roof, this may not be what you want. Secondly the charge controller appears to be the sunforce 7 amp controller, which I think is a simple on at x volts, off at y volts charger, which is not as effective as a PWM or MPPT charger.

I think an off brand (ramsond, UL solar etc) 50W - 80W crystalline cell (~$150 - $200) and a morningstar PWM controller ($60) maybe a better deal if you are willing to piece it together yourself.

pods8

Explorer
Hmm, seems like a fairly good deal if you want an all in one solution with good customer service from costco. I think this kit is the same or very close to ones that have been offered from amazon (see another post here), and sold under a variety of names. However it does appear to have a couple of drawbacks. These are amorphous silicon panels, so the efficiency is significantly lower than crystalline panels. It takes about 2-3x the area of amorphous panels to generate the same power as a crystalline panel. Particularly if you were thinking of mounting these to a rack or your roof, this may not be what you want. Secondly the charge controller appears to be the sunforce 7 amp controller, which I think is a simple on at x volts, off at y volts charger, which is not as effective as a PWM or MPPT charger.

I think an off brand (ramsond, UL solar etc) 50W - 80W crystalline cell (~$150 - $200) and a morningstar PWM controller ($60) maybe a better deal if you are willing to piece it together yourself.

Basically what he said. More panel = more weight as well. What was the price on the setup? Unless it is a screaming deal I'd not bother. Usually I've seen those kits for ~$300?

You can get a Solar Cynergy 60 Watt panel which weighs 15lb for $160 and a Morningstar Sunsaver SS-6 6A, 12V PWM Charge Controller for $40. Wiring isn't going to run you a $100 so you'll have a better setup for less...

Honu

lost on the mainland
saw that at costco also ? decided to hold off and research so thanks for the info to those that posted :) I am lost on solar ?

they also had a panel for homes looked like quite a bit larger and something like 200 watt would fit in my trailer and I could pull it out but kinda waiting for a soft solution and figure out a way to mount it up on the roof most of the time not sure I want a hard panel up their ?

but prices are coming down quite a bit I have noticed on solar stuff so thats cool

part of me says hold out for a soft solution at this point ?

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
UL solar has an 85w setup for under $300... I'm on the fence about it because I'm debating that or 100w or 120w :D

Ramjet

Explorer
Goal Zero?

You can go to Goal Zero's website and at the bottom of the page there is loads of information on Solar Power and what it all entails. Plus, they explain the different types of Panels and what types of batteries they use in there products. It might help you out a little. Good Luck.

Cheers, J

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Would this 15w setup be adequate for just keeping the battery charged while camping http://www.statetrailer.com/products/Solar/Solar-Products-13/7078800/

15w / 12v = 1.25a

So, when that panel has full sunlight directly on it (best case scenario), you've got a 1a trickle charger.

But solar panels are generally rated at around 70 degrees F. When they get hot, they put out less than the rating. They are dark, made of glass and pointed at the sun - they are usually hot.

So in normal use, that "15w" panel *might* keep a fully charged battery from going dead from self-discharge while sitting, but -recharging- a discharged battery is almost certainly out of the question.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Right, it depends on what you are doing. Are you playing the radio/using electricity? Then no. If you just want assurance of a non-dead battery then sure. But if your vehicle starts everyday, then why bother? My personal view is that you only need solar if you are going over two days with a fridge and other electrical draws such as radio (music) and recharging electronics: HAM radios, laptop for photo editing, camera batteries etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven