COSTMAN13's 2001 Tacoma

Costman13

Adventurer
Well, no updates per say, but I have been spending lots of time on the road this summer, a cumulative month of time between Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. I'm beginning to get an itch for a bed platform of some sort in the back.

Here are a few shots from the summer thus far.

Dillon, MT

Yakima River Canyon, WA

Cle Elum, WA

Bozeman, MT

Driggs, ID / Grand Targhee Ski Area, WY

Dinner at camp, Missoula, MT

Ran through a nice caddis hatch on our way through Dillon, MT

Last edited:

jeverich

Luddite
Safe bet there is none of that whiskey left...? Looks like you're having a great Summer.

Hard to believe, but I actually get to put on my engineer's hat for a couple of months on the boat; still looking like Mid-October.

Serious thoughts of touring the SW this winter.

Save me a beer.. -jake

Costman13

Adventurer
I was tent camping. My organizational skills go to hell in a few days, which usually means no room to sleep.

A SW tour sounds awesome for the winter! I've got a beer with your name on it.

Nice truck!

Put a 3/4 width sleep platform in mine last year. I used 3/4 " plywood and 1x10 or 12s. Designed it around Tupperware bins I found at Walmart. Three fit perfectly down each "track" and it leave spaces in front of the right side wheel well and the whole left side for bigger items.

Worked great other than the fact that I am 6'6" and don't fit too well in a 6 foot bed.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Costman13

Adventurer
That looks great. I have A TON of pending projects that need to be buttoned up. A platform is among one of them. I have been kicking around a platform very similar to what you have there, not a full bed platform but maybe 1/2 way across. I am accustom to sleeping in tight quarters, but fear the inward direction of the sides on a campershell and my height (6' 3") will play a negative role in how small the platform can be. I would like to make is small enough to fit a few large Action Packers on the drivers side and maybe have a bike mount similar to Louis' on the open side. ( http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/82987-Core-Trax-Bike-Mounts?p=1170134#post1170134 ) It would be nice to travel with my bike and keep it away from road debris while driving.

Also in the near future, battery replacement, get my winch in, stock up on some quality recovery gear, get the sliders welded on and start thinking about a rear bumper.. I am in no rush but would like to see things getting wrapped up by spring.

dtc81

Observer
Great looking Tacoma, really makes me miss mine! Couldn't help but notice the Hudson Whiskey in the previous posts....That distillery is a few miles from my home and man, is that stuff tasty! Looking forward to seeing some future mods.

Costman13

Adventurer
Not much for updates here. I have been pretty busy with work. I managed to get the winch in yesterday with the Superwinch solenoid under the hood. I haven't gotten the winch controller plug wired up yet. Hopefully this morning before I'm headed back to work. I pulled my grill off and was able to get the winch in without pulling the bumper back off. There is a TON of room behind that grill... I used 2 AWG wiring for the whole process and the drum has 100FT of 3/8" Amsteel, which is too long IMO. I'm going to take it down to at least 75FT before I do any winching. For some reason I thought that I had read on the Masterpull website that they recommend 100FT, but upon further review, they recommend 100FT of 5/16" not 3/8", that was my expensive error for the month. (http://www.masterpull.com/choose-the-correct-size-winch-line/)

The marking on the bolt heads are: A, 1, 2, and +

The wires in this last one appear to be laying up against the radiator. They are actually about 1 1/2" from touching when zip tied to the support.

Please excuse the crummy cell phone pictures.

Last edited:

olypenjeeper

Nice build man! I love the Bellingham area, been trying to get stationed up that way for years. I'm at ANT Astoria now, was on Steadfast 01-04, Station port Angeles 04-08, Ant Cape May 08-09, Vigorous 09-12, and here at Ant since. Heading down to Dorado in Crescent City this summer. Always on the move.

Are you on one of the 87's? MK I take it? My brother and I backpacked up by baker last summer, with a side trip up to twin lakes, beautiful area! I noticed the Drake sticker too, some good fishing up your way, you should check out the Olympic peninsula too if you haven't already. Best steelheading around, with great public access and lots of places to get lost.

Sweet truck man! Keep it up!

Acher550

Hey dude! I like your truck! That color is great and it looks really clean. I fell in love with the west coast when i drove its entire length from portland to cabo in my old 2001 taco (the red one) currently building (slow start) my new to me 2004. I was wondering what cap you have on your truck? I need a new one as the black one I currently have doesnt quite fit perfect. (also in the pic you can see my dad's green 4runner which, with the roof basket totally reminds me of your truck, or maybe vice versa haha)

Hoover77

I love the color of your Tacoma, I had an 04 the same color, but had to sell it. Now I have an 04 that is silver. Just getting started on the upgrades. Great looking truck you have!

Costman13

Adventurer
Nice build man! I love the Bellingham area, been trying to get stationed up that way for years. I'm at ANT Astoria now, was on Steadfast 01-04, Station port Angeles 04-08, Ant Cape May 08-09, Vigorous 09-12, and here at Ant since. Heading down to Dorado in Crescent City this summer. Always on the move.

Are you on one of the 87's? MK I take it? My brother and I backpacked up by baker last summer, with a side trip up to twin lakes, beautiful area! I noticed the Drake sticker too, some good fishing up your way, you should check out the Olympic peninsula too if you haven't already. Best steelheading around, with great public access and lots of places to get lost.

Sweet truck man! Keep it up!

Thank you! I was on the Steadfast as well! from 08-11. I'm a BM2. I spend a lot of time up in the Twin Lakes area, I love it up there. Thanks for the kind words.

Costman13

Adventurer
Hey dude! I like your truck! That color is great and it looks really clean. I fell in love with the west coast when i drove its entire length from portland to cabo in my old 2001 taco (the red one) currently building (slow start) my new to me 2004. I was wondering what cap you have on your truck? I need a new one as the black one I currently have doesnt quite fit perfect. (also in the pic you can see my dad's green 4runner which, with the roof basket totally reminds me of your truck, or maybe vice versa haha)

I am not sure which Shell I have... I bought it on Craigslist maybe 4-5 years back for just a couple hundred dollars. It serves its purpose well. If I was made of money I would look into getting an ARE shell with all the bells and whistles, sliding Windoors on the sides, nice carpeted interior and a solid rack system up top. But thats big money, maybe $1200. I think I paid $250 for mine. Thanks for the compliments!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3