CrabbyMcNab's Adventure with Blunderbuss

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Inaugural Stay in the Van

Got the L track in earlier this summer, the sienna seats are great!
Van1.jpg

Was in the "Country" staying at the families property on the ridge. I enjoyed staying in the van, but I am definitely changing things up. The four passenger bench is just a tad too short. Straight out, my feet are on the window ledge, legs bent and the bench is a tad too narrow. I ended up sleeping on the floor with my legs going under the bench towards the rear. Bench is coming out and staying out. The vanrug is nice, better then the worn and thin stock carpet. It was way too warm for my HammockGear quilt, but glad I brough my GI poncho liner.
Van2.jpg

What I woke up to in the morning. Was a periodic gentle breeze to keep things cool enough and no bugs to speak of once the lights were off.
Van3.jpg

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Looking at exhaust systems. Maryland does not have emission testing for diesel, so I may eliminate the converter. That said, I didn't find a particular part number from diamond eye. Anyone have one? I like quite on the inside and hope to find a compatible system. Other brands?

FYI, I know the replacement down pipes will not work, fine with that. I have not gotten into upgrading, adding sound deadening yet. That may help as well in the future.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Ordered a cat back by MBRP and the catless test pipe. On back order, which should be here end of October. Anxious to see, feel, hear the difference.

Reality has set in and a 4x4 conversion is further off than hoped for. In the meantime, are there suggestions on a remedy for my van with 3.55 and no limited slip? I assume my options are finding an E350 LS axle I can grab, adding LS to my current, or finding a 10.5 LS from a truck (I'd need spacers for the front?). I know getting an axle from elsewhere is a gamble regarding condition. I have a buddy who can help rebuild and has a press.

We all know a single wheel drive won't push these things around very well. Tires are on the list as well, my unicorn creations do not provide much confidence.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
If you are more or less good with your current axle other than the traction issue, you might be best served by a quality lunch box locker. Relatively simple to install and you don't have to mess with the gears. Remove cover, pull axles out a bit, dump the spiders and drop it in. Put everything back and go.

radorsch

Adventurer
Trac loc LS (basically what came from the factory) are relatively cheap too (around $350, IIRC). I went with a TrueTrac because I wanted better bias, but didn't want to do a selectable locker... of course, this meant substantial upgrades to the axle (new 35 spline shafts and I opted to got up to 4.10 gears while I was at it). I'm pretty happy and think it was well worth it. Before, I got stuck 2 times just pulled over on a soft shoulder (let alone a trail). Now, I have yet to feel a tire slip.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Where in MD are you? The parts yard down by me had a few LSD rears for vans in stock last I checked.

I'm around the DC metro area, but make it all over including NoVa. Which yards? I was at crazy rays a few months ago in Brandywine, but wasn't looking for axles at the time.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Well, I mentioned ordering a cat delete pipe, everyone probably could have told me it wouldn't fit.
Time to come up with plan B. MD is a diesel emission exempt state, wondering if the muffler shop will make one for me...

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I took a look at it in the rain that night I picked up the seats from you and thought it looked really good. Whoever buys it from you is getting a sharp looking van.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
I took a look at it in the rain that night I picked up the seats from you and thought it looked really good. Whoever buys it from you is getting a sharp looking van.

Thanks, would have been great to meet you in person. Maybe next you are through the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater