Custom 35 gallon gas tank for '09 Tacoma

cwvandy

Adventurer
Tango Blue:
Just saw your question about the skid plate. Yes, it is aluminum. And it weighs about half of the weight of the original steel Bud-Built stock tank plate. I actually saved weight in the plate; probably 25 lbs less than the steel.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Does the Hilux tank fit?

I wouldn't bet money on it; not without taking and comparing measurements and mounting points from the two different trucks. HILUX and Tacoma platforms are not interchangeable.

Correct... I already checked into this with The Long Ranger guys in Aust.
Even asked to see if they were willing to R&D a Tacoma... no deal, not enough demand from NA to do this.

You should also know that Northwest Metal Products makes a tank for Gen I for the spare tire area.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178245

Here is the company website.
http://www.nwmp.com/

Last edited:

H0LLYW00D

Observer
I am definatly going to look at making something simular to this, OP if you have an secmatics or measurements that I could get my hands just PM me, it would be much apperciated.

khronus79

Adventurer
Why the heck am I excited about this? I don't even have a 2nd Gen...

I'm glad it's working flawlessly so far and looking forward to your follow-on report! It gives me a little more enthusiasm for my auxiliary tank project.

Just to confirm that your skid in made of Al, right; and the skid weight?
Why the heck am I excited about this? I don't even have a Tacoma! A 40 gallon tank would be sweet to have. Excellently done project from start to finish.

Hmmm......I wonder if it would fit a Tundra?

Why the heck am I excited about this? I don't even have a Toyota!:sombrero:

Ryan1975

Observer
Lovely project and lovely work. I've been following this thread with interest for some time...never felt compelled to reply until I was watching the news earlier and caused me to pause and think...dang - $5.00/gallon times 35 gallons = $175 to fill uip. d'oh!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Lovely project and lovely work. I've been following this thread with interest for some time...never felt compelled to reply until I was watching the news earlier and caused me to pause and think...dang - $5.00/gallon times 35 gallons = $175 to fill uip. d'oh!
Yeah but you can shop the cheapest gas and save a few bucks each fill-up and avoid that high priced stuff in out of the way stations.:coffeedrink:
Hmmmmm. I wonder how much the extra weight in the first half tank affects the mileage .....might come out to be a wash dollar wise.
\

Ryan1975

Observer
Yeah but you can shop the cheapest gas and save a few bucks each fill-up and avoid that high priced stuff in out of the way stations.:coffeedrink:
Hmmmmm. I wonder how much the extra weight in the first half tank affects the mileage .....might come out to be a wash dollar wise.

1 Gallon of Gas = 6.15lbs (@ 68deg)

Approximately 17 gallon extra capacity = only an extra 104lbs (give or take)

I think the answer is negligible but I could be wrong.

cwvandy

Adventurer
I have now put about 1000 or so miles on the truck. 900 miles on road and about 100 off. I did the 100 off-road with about an 1/8th of a tank showing on the gas gauge to see if bouncing around or steeper angles had any impact on gas flow. It didn't. The fuel pick-up assembly actually sits down into a "cup" at the bottom of the tank with edges about 1" or so high. Besides the internal baffles, this setup seems to keep the gas from moving around too abruptly. The on road was to Seattle and back and around town in Bend as a daily driver.
Despite the additional weight (probably a total of 225 lbs. over stock for tank and gas) , I noticed no difference whatsoever in fuel economy on the highway or around town. On the way to Seattle I was towing an empty motorcycle trailer. On the way back I was towing a new 1200 GS Adventure (another fun story......). There was no impact at all with the empty trailer. I was moving at or above the 70 MPH speed limit on I-5 and nudged my normal 18 mph (truck has front/rear aftermarket bumpers, winch, significant extra heavy gear inside and roof rack + currently running studded snow tires rather than summer Toyo MT). With the bike in tow I lost a little over a mile per gallon.

Only adverse effect was the gas gauge does not move at all until I have traveled about 100 miles. The gauge then lowers at about the same rate proportionally as stock tank (since new tank is just about twice the size of the stock tank the rate is half as fast). I also could not detect any adverse effects on handling. I think the weight is so low (and the fact that there is no additional wind resistance) that it just doesn't impact anything. No noticeable impact on cornering, throttle response or braking. I have seen FAR more impact from gear on the roof (roof tent or Baja rack).
Definitely sticker shock when I pull into a gas station and pump in 35 gallons or so. Ouch. It has, so far, given me more options on where I buy gas and to shop price. Really just a matter of you can pay 'em now in bigger amounts or pay 'em later and more often in smaller.

RE: the question of plans or specs that we can share, there really aren't any. The tank was created by making a 3-D card board template and modeling the steel on it. Give Exhaust Specialities in Bend a shout. Shane might be convinced to make more.

Treenail

Adventurer
I'm so impressed with your build! The 13 gallon??? tank in my ToyBox limits my range...especially in west Texas!

http://stonerradiator.com/images/dsc00667.jpg

Being able to set a larger trip radius between fills is the best part of more capacity. The fuel cost savings will be hard to amortize. When I had my '72 Chevy 3/4t pickup I installed two outside the frame saddle tanks. That gave me 60 gallon capacity! A manual valve mounted through the floor on the left side made switching easy. The last tank to empty was the on board, with the gauge.

I'm going to try and find a junkyard tank to fit the area where the spare tire should be. Lots of cubic space up there.

steve103

Observer
so any thought on making a small run of these? and price. be good since you have got all the measurements. let us know. i guess it would be the guy who made this one, if he is interested or not.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
1 Gallon of Gas = 6.15lbs (@ 68deg)

Approximately 17 gallon extra capacity = only an extra 104lbs (give or take)

I think the answer is negligible but I could be wrong.
Heh..didn't do the math...yep you're right....like having a skinny gal in the back seat.:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77

Members online