Custom 35 gallon gas tank for '09 Tacoma

cwvandy

Adventurer
Nope, no engine light issues at all. I think because we used all the factory hoses, pickups, sensors, etc. that to the system it all looks the same. I haven't run it dry but when I get it at or near empty we will see if all is still well.

oliverlove

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity, what is the legality of running a larger custom tank, or even an auxiliary tank in the bed of the truck?

J-man

Adventurer
You have made me want to embark on a new project for my 00 4runner & 01 tacoma for sure. IF you dont mind, ive got a couple q's for you.
1. Any pics of the baffles inside the tank as well as where the fuel pump/pick up sits?
2. For the fuel pick up, is the new tank the same depth as old tank so it can actually pick up fuel close to empty?
3. Straps - did you make new ones, reuse the old mounts, make new mounts?
4. Clearance's in on top of the tank (underneath the floorpan of vehicle) - did you use spacers or what is it resting against?

Again - a very nice build and this is something that i know alot of people are drooling over. Fuel is the most concerning part anytime you embark on a trip, wether its local or an expedition for 1000's of miles. This really shows that a lot can be done with a little ingenuity. This makes soooooo much sence. Thanks for sharing.

99runner

that is some beautiful workmanship. on long trips and offroad it must be quite comforting knowing you have such long endurance.

J-man. With your 3rd gen 4Runner one thing to keep in mind is the flex of the rear axle. With the 4-link suspension when you stuff your drivers rear tire the whole thing shifts to the drivers side and even with the stock fuel tank the pinion flange can contact the skid. Just something to think about. I am assuming that with leaf springs the side to side movement is pretty minimal. I read a while ago (sorry no links) that the tank out of a 90's ford, cant remember specifics, will fit where the spare tire mounts in our 3rd gens.

Found the link http://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-r...4runner-f-150-tank-swap-behind-rear-axle.html

Last edited:

peekay

Adventurer
please keep us updated on whether the CE light comes on. I have a 30 gallon auxiliary on my 07 Taco. I tapped into the main fill line to fill. Stock everything else. I throw a CE light every 1000-2000 miles or so. It's not a big deal because I can clear it on the fly with my Scangauge, but interested in your results.

cwvandy

Adventurer
J-Man:
I don't have any pictures of the baffles. There are three that have 3 half-circles cut out on the bottom of about 3' diameter...small enough to stop the gas from moving around but big enough to fill the tank evenly.
Yes, the new tank is very close in depth to the old tank; maybe 1" taller. The pickup is still at the bottom of the tank so the only impact is the fuel gauge does not register any fuel use until I have used about 6-7 gallons. Everything else works as stock.
The straps are all new and bolt into cross members in the frame. We made them significantly stronger (boxed shape) to support the additional weight.
The tank is resting on the cross members in the frame.

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
i noticed you had a double/crew cab. wonder if it will fit the extend cab.

Being a Bend resident, Tacoma owner, customer of Custom Exhaust, and an acquaintance of the OP, I am taking my 2011 access cab in next week to have the same tank built. The factory tanks are the same for all Tacoma's from 05 to current. Here's to the posibility of production run.

-Kevin

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
No joke... When and where will first Gen guys be driving to?

I bet if you drive up there he'll be happy to put one together. Ask him to make 2, 'ol buddy, 'ol pal... ;)

I'm still eyeing that mod this year, but looking at an aux tank between the frame rails where the spare tire used to sit so I can keep the 2 fuel cells separate. Looking at this Ford P/U 4250 series 19 gallon tank as the solution... http://www.mtscompany.com/ford.htm

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Being a Bend resident, Tacoma owner, customer of Custom Exhaust, and an acquaintance of the OP, I am taking my 2011 access cab in next week to have the same tank built. The factory tanks are the same for all Tacoma's from 05 to current. Here's to the posibility of production run.

-Kevin

:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77