Custom 35 gallon gas tank for '09 Tacoma

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I definitely see the need for 'vent' hoses or air relief to let pockets of the tank get filled w/o creating air pockets or bubbles. the mentioned vacuum or pressure sensor would have to be dealt with as to how much pressure or lack of needed to trip said leak detect unit. I'm thinking that's where the 'devils in the details' will rear it's ugly head. I must say tho that it appears to be a great idea so far adaptable to many different vehicles if one is willing to put up the money for the R&D. I'm subscribed!:wings:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
IIRC all they do is hook up a hose to the exhaust and watch a monitor while they run the engine. It prints out a report at the end but they don't really poke around much at all.
Ah the beauty of living here in Gods country is that they don't check at all ...emissions or safety....2 year plates for under a 100 frogskins too. Yea! I love it here. Did I mention the place is absolutely beautiful and trout jump in your boat just to feed you. Deer walk up to your sights and smile. Wonderful place.:elkgrin:

cwvandy

Adventurer
Gas Tank Installed!

The moment of truth arrived! Late yesterday the tank returned from the powder coater (sorry, not red). Because all of the fittings had be pre-installed, it quickly went back together with all the hoses, fittings and THREE vents (three high points connected via brass fittings and marine grade, reinforced fuel hose). A final high-pressure lead test was done and when the tank was tested air tight, it was installed and the aluminum skid plate installed.

Some details of the completed project:
1. Final weight of the tank with all the fittings and factory pieces installed (pick-up, fuel level device, etc) was right at 100 lbs. Stock tank with all the fittings was about 35 lbs so a net gain of 65 lbs for the tank.
2. We put in 8 gallons of gas. Fuel gauge read about 1/4 tank. As soon as the ignition was turned on all the vacuum and fuel pumps kicked in and the truck started almost immediately. No issues. No warning lights. All perfect.
3. We drove immediately to a gas station a block away and topped off the tank with 32 GALLONS!!! The tank held far more than we thought for a total of 40 GALLONS of gas. The tank filled smoothly with the gas nozzle on full flow. Very exciting.
4. The Icon Coilover / OME HD Dacar springs kept the truck level with a full tank. No noticeable "list to port".
5. Drove home about 30 miles without any issues.

I will take the rig off road this weekend and put it through its paces. Monday I will drive the 600 mile round trip to Seattle and see how the fuel gauge responds to fuel use. We suspect it will "stay full" longer than stock. Still plenty of time for something not to work, but so far so good.

Going to be fun to see how this thing functions. And REALLY fun to have a primary fuel tank w

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 44

cwvandy

Adventurer
PS: Skid plate hex head bolts are being replaced with round head allen bolts to avoid catching and shearing. We didn't have them last night. Being replaced today.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Why the heck am I excited about this? I don't even have a 2nd Gen...

I'm glad it's working flawlessly so far and looking forward to your follow-on report! It gives me a little more enthusiasm for my auxiliary tank project.

Just to confirm that your skid in made of Al, right; and the skid weight?

fourfa

Observer
Amazing work! Should definitely draw some business to the shop that did such clean, well-engineered work

downhill

Adventurer
Congrats!

Congratulations on such a well executed project! Glad no gremlins have cropped up, and hopefully they won't! Adding 65# to get an additional 19 gals of capacity is not bad at all. If you think about it, the weight of cans, can racks, swing aways and other things that people add to carry fuel is often less efficient. Certanly four cans worth would be. Filling that sucker up is going to leave a mark though! My last expo rig had a 50 gallon custum designed & built tank. Filling it with premium was brutal. That one was easier to build though because it didn't have all the electronics and fittings. It was old school.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on such a well executed project! Glad no gremlins have cropped up, and hopefully they won't! Adding 65# to get an additional 19 gals of capacity is not bad at all. If you think about it, the weight of cans, can racks, swing aways and other things that people add to carry fuel is often less efficient. Certanly four cans worth would be. Filling that sucker up is going to leave a mark though! My last expo rig had a 50 gallon custum designed & built tank. Filling it with premium was brutal. That one was easier to build though because it didn't have all the electronics and fittings. It was old school.

Same in my 1st Gen. Custom 19gal tank behind the rear axle plus the stock tank. Gave me about 39gals of onboard fuel. With a super charger I could still get over 500 miles between fill ups if I drained it way low. I had mine set up as an aux tank and simply transferred tot he stock tank. It worked very well as long as I didn't forget to turn of the aux tank switch!

Oh and in Nicaragua, (IIRC) it once cost me $145 to fill it up! Most expensive fill up I have ever seen in a 1st Gen!

My aux fuel tank build is here,

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Build-Up/page10?highlight=RMP&O+2004+Taco

trump

Adventurist

X2

I think I'm trying to stay optimistic that someone will design a tank as well thought out as this one for the first gen. I would even be happy with a well designed transfer tank. If I had more free time and a good welder...

jim65wagon

I'm glad it's working flawlessly so far and looking forward to your follow-on report! It gives me a little more enthusiasm for my auxiliary tank project.

Just to confirm that your skid in made of Al, right; and the skid weight?

Why the heck am I excited about this? I don't even have a Tacoma! A 40 gallon tank would be sweet to have. Excellently done project from start to finish.

Hmmm......I wonder if it would fit a Tundra?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77