Custom 35 gallon gas tank for '09 Tacoma

RobD

I agree...there is a spot where you have a dip near the front(?) that you're not going to fill completely, unless you have some kind of strategy for filling the void.

rafter6

Very cool build. Just noticed you live in Bend! Very nice! Good ol Central Oregon! :victory: Im from Redmond haha

Louisd75

Adventurer

cwvandy

Adventurer
tank venting

Yes, the high points are all connected with hoses and, as a result, the tank can fill completely. Several thousand miles---some hard offroad---and it is working like a charm. The added capacity is a HUGE benefit. Very happy with the results. One of the best mods I have made, for sure.

KeithLamb

Interesting. But as you fill the tank, how does the air escape the high points. Or is there many areas that fuel can't get to

cwvandy

Adventurer
The high points are linked by fuel hose so the tank vents to the highest point. At the highest point the tank is vented to the outside.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Very cool build. Just noticed you live in Bend! Very nice! Good ol Central Oregon! :victory: Im from Redmond haha
Man....no one knows how cool it is to live in Oregon. this so much better than anywhere else......2 year plates (90 bucks or so) , no safetey or emiss. checks.....best salmon, steelhead and trout fishing ever. NO SALES TAX....(add that up when it comes time to buy a truck) Pick your weather.....snow or dry...wet and green...or God lets do both. I got here and I couldnt get the smile off my face....either on the river or at the DMV!:victory: God takes his vacations here!!!
All the other states are just place to visit.

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Dirty pics

Sorry I did not manage to get a pics of the tank installed while it was clean. I had to go rescue a friend stuck in the mud the other night.
Here is a pic of the tank before install, fresh from powdercoating.
photo.jpg

Side shot showing tank and skid plate hang just below the frame rail
IMG_1001.jpg

I had Custom Exhaust add a lazer cut logo on the tank that is visible in the rear wheel well.
IMG_1003.jpg

Custom Cat Delete/Y pipe exhaust. This is not necessary to fit tank. Some exhaust modification is necessary though. You can also see the drain installed at the corner.
IMG_1004.jpg

3 Straps mount the tank, using the stock mounting locations.
IMG_1007.jpg

Aluminum skids were built for the tank, and a transmission skid was built to connect the fuel tank skid, and my Asfir front skid plate.
IMG_1008.jpg

-Kevin

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Good call on the drain especially with todays fuel. Next time do a 1.5-2" drain also, speaking from experience. I think the only problem you guys need to be aware of is filling the tank completly full and not burning it off anytime soon. With todays alcohol in the fuel, fuel starts to go bad in over a month. I would just run tank low on gas unless planning a long trip. Remember adding fresh fuel to old bad gas is like adding good milk to sour milk.

steve103

Observer
these look soo great. can i add, you might want to look at a little shroud around the drain plug or move it to the front near the frame. one wrong move and that thing is gone on a rock. just a thought from the things i will be doing once i get one of these cool tanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77