custom rear bumper

S

stu454

I do dig the color; I've wanted to see what a D2 in OD would look like.

I would have asked them to at least remove and replace the lettering and not paint over the alpine windows.

mongosd2

Adventurer
OK, constructive criticism...

Welded recovery points, not smart or safe. Those are designed to be bolted in place. Welds will fatigue and fail. Should have used a backing plate and bolts to attach them.

Wrong type of recovery point, not design for any side loading, that will rip off and kill somebody. It does look like a tie down mount

Bad departure angle. No gain in clearance why not build the tow hitch into the bumper.

A bolt to hold the tire carrier.

No frame tie in point for the sliders. They will act as a lever and tweek the rear attachment points. Add the weight of the bumper and a spare, recipe for disaster. After bouncing off some rocks because of the poor departure angle, the factory frame mounts, which are only 1/8" steel, will begin to fatigue. Thats a lot of weight to be supported by 4 bolts on the factory mounts.

Sorry, I used a bad word to describe my truck, not the bumper

blubber

That's the ugliest damn thing I've seen in a long time. That comedic wooden bumper was an artistic work of genius compared to this thing.

Doin_It

Adventurer
May I never build a bumper, or any thing else and post it here and ask for your opinion, it would really set me back on all the work my shrink has been doing for my self worth, and going to she her again and start all over again would drain all my money and I'd have nothing left for the truck.

It's one thing to critique ones work, it’s another to just up and blast one for what he's done. Many of you quite critiquing this bumper along time ago.

Shame on you..............

blueeyeddevil

Observer
Are you serious?
Don't represent yourself in court if you aren't skilled in law.
Don't operate on yourself if you aren't a surgeon.
Don't go swimming if you can't.

Of course one can do whatever they like in this great country, but....

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Mod hat on....
Guys you can point out things in a nice way...
You can be a gentleman while teaching and mentoring someone, even safety related items.
I agree that the owner being disabled means nothing in this equation unless something is built to meet a specific need (hgt, angle, step points).

Remember that what you post here reflects on all of us and if you find a fault then fine, point it out in a nice way so the builder can improve.
Words like "crap", or it looks like "XXXX" don't help. That is just stirring up trouble, telling him to post it on Dweb is just stirring up trouble.

Make your point like a gentleman or prepare to be editted or deleted.

Green96D1

Explorer
I personally think the bumper isn't the worst design out there but it could have been done a bit better. I think the bumper should have followed the lines of the DII and been a more "greg davis" or "rovertym" like bumper. Let's face it the DII is not a perfect "Box" and is more curvy towards the lower end of the vehicle. That's my take on it. P.S the Olive Drab paint looks good!:victory:

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Wow, this might just be as big a nightmare as a Gurhka/G-wagen thread... Seriously, while it may not be asthesticly pleasing to some, who cares??? He built it, the customer's happy, and frankly I give him props because it's a hell of alot better then the bumper I've never built. Seriously, it looks like he welded it well etc. give the man his credit, it may not be what you like but that's not the point. I have seen far more horendously scarry things bolted to cars and trucks, the bumper looks functional and safe to me, well done eh. Sorry for all the flack you;ve been taking, we're not all that rude.

Cheers

Dave

bri

Adventurer
There is no way that those D-Rings are safe. There is a reason why Rovertym and Rockware do not deal with D-Rings on rear bumpers. You have a class iii hitch back there. Stick a reciever shackle in it an be done.

Thinking that those are stout is misleading the customer. If the customer then needs to go get yanked out of axle deep mud and gets another unknowing person to yank, those things will come flying loose and someone could get killed.

The side sliders need to be supported to the frame to be useful. Sliders need to slide. If you were able to use the quarter panel slider without it deflecting into the rear quarter, then depending on the rock, it is going to catch on the 90 degree angle to the rear part of the bumper. Potentially, this will just do even more damage to the bumper or at least get you stucker.

The fact that there are gaps, forms a 90 degree angle and it does not cover the unfinished portions of the rig are minor to these safety issues.

mongosd2

Adventurer
The d-rings may be rated for 10k as a tie down, but not as a recovery point, plain and simple. If your all so sure about the safety of the install and design, do a simple test, place a truck(cock the wheels so it can't be pulled forward) at 25* or 30* angle off to the side of the truck. Hook a tow strap to it, then hook that to the green machine and see what happens from a safe distance. It's only rated at 10k, which is close to than 1 and 1/2 times the weight of these trucks. When your pulling, or being pulled, you can exert up to 4 times the weight of what's being recovered. And if it's really stuck...

Not safe, not strong enough, not a good choice on the part of the builder...

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I think the builder should have tougher skin... that's what you called for right, lance? Members should have tougher skin?

He posted a backwoods bumper build and expected to get a pat on the back and people called him on the fit, form and funtion of his project and now he can take this and apply it to his next master piece.

I think the people have spoken.

Reminds me of the grammer thread when you threw a fit about me asking for a better ExPo.

What a hypocrit.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=351309&postcount=151

bri

Adventurer
Hey Brian welcome to expo!!

LOL. Thanks. I have lurked for a couple years. The LWB may get overland capability, won't be the trail runner that the Disco was. Just need to pay off the new kitchen, fireplace and floors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online