David Bradley Build

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Update! Shes done for now more adventures to follow
3EC4C9DC-F5FA-45C2-862D-86AB60FF6E08-13311-00000E2246597A3A.jpg

Well Im finally getting around to posting this. Its my first real trailer build and my first experience redoing anything so bear with me. Its been a slower build since christmas but its finally coming together now. I am finishing the paint today and then will be mounting it on a 3500 lb axle with matching h3 rims this week. Heres the build since day 1

Day I brought it home. It had a lot of surface rust and a few minor holes about the size of a thumb tack. The previous owner used it as a scout trailer down in phoenix. The wheels werent exactly my style haha
f607264c.jpg

b22db0fc.jpg

f69dab2a.jpg

The first step for me was to fix the small holes in the bed and start sanding the trailer. I removed the fenders and hub caps and got into it
526ed56b.jpg

1578634c.jpg

Last edited:

Maine07jk

Adventurer
I was looking for these along with the m416 before I decided to build one on my own when I couldn't find one. Can't wait to see how it turns out! :wings:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Sorry for the mid cutoff everyone I got a call from a buddy on a project im working on for an emergency meeting. Anyway I then sanded the bed and air blasted off all the rust dust. I used a roll on bedliner and after three coats got this
463f0834.jpg

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I couldnt finish sanding and painting until I removed the axle. Sadly the Ubolts were so rusted on I needed some help so I had to wait a week for my buddy to come over and lend me a hand removing the tub. In the mean time I ordered a new 3500 lb axle in the same bolt pattern as the H3.

This week the new axle came and it was time for some more work! :wings:
31ccebf0.jpg

Started by removing all the Ubolts and this was no small task. Hitting the wrench with a mallot wouldnt even make it budge so it was time to get creative haha. We ended up taking the end off a crutch and putting the wrench inside for more leverage and then a quarter turn at a time removed the eight nuts on the ubolts.
6c772be6.jpg

Now my friend and I lifted the tub turned it over and set it on my saw horses (truck camper) lol. Now sanding of any missed spots began.
Paxton waiting patiently
8a038cba.jpg

Next I used the roll on bedliner across the entire bottom of the trailer and any part that wasnt being painted. (Minus the leaf springs those will be replaced as money allows) I also primed the tub for paint
ee83f776.jpg

Today I began painting it tan as I decided a black tub, black trailer, and black h3 wheels would look like I was towing a small black hole behind me. I got three coats on before I was called to the meeting today so it remains off the axle for now.

ca04d939.jpg

The last thing I need is a plate to bolt the ubolts to on the other side of the axle as the previous plate was for a square axle. Anyone know where to get one of these??

Last edited:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
The other one was really more useful and If I had an offer to swap back for it I would. This is my cheaper substitute for now

Hifihunter

David Bradley Trailer

The other one was really more useful and If I had an offer to swap back for it I would. This is my cheaper substitute for now

Man, I have the exact same trailer and am at the same point you are at. I'm anxiously awaiting your updates, keep them coming. What are your plans for this trailer?

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well right now I'm still waiting on the darn ubolt mounts to come in so I can mount the trailer on the axle. :coffee: originlally I planned to mount my roof tent on it but as I sold it recently it's more likely I will use it for gear storage when I take people camping and when my buddy takes his dirt bike out and we have to store it in the bed of the truck

SilverBullet

Explorer
If you ever need another set of hands, just holler. I owe u from the play set and I always love a project. You should join us in moab in June with the rig and trailer.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
What length axle did you go with?

Jacque

I believe it was a 71 inch axle Because the H3 rims have crazy spacing. If you mount rims that are spaced differently I've heard 61-65 inch axles run well on these. I would measure your space from the mounting surface to the edge of the tire add one or two inches per side then add the trailer width. That's what I did at least
If you ever need another set of hands, just holler. I owe u from the play set and I always love a project. You should join us in moab in June with the rig and trailer.

hey thanks! I have some buddies helping me mount the trailer today so everything should be easy after that. Though I may decide to lift it depending on the height compared to my truck. I saw your rig heading towards PV yesterday around 8. Heading to work?

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
I believe it was a 71 inch axle Because the H3 rims have crazy spacing. If you mount rims that are spaced differently I've heard 61-65 inch axles run well on these. I would measure your space from the mounting surface to the edge of the tire add one or two inches per side then add the trailer width. That's what I did at least

QUOTE]

Thanks. We got the new frame built on Sunday. I also had to go with a 71" axle, the Toyota steel wheels I'm using also have a ton of back spacing.

I Just picked up my axle during lunch today along with hangers, ubolts, springs and a light kit.

Jacque

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So this has been killing me betwen friends not showing up, presentations, work, exams, and spring break but I finally did it myself today and gave up on my friends showing up to help lift the axle wheels and flip the trailer. I still need to do touch up paint on the black bedliner where I got overspray and rewire some lights but here was todays progress.

5d3f74c8.jpg

An ESSENTIAL part of the toolbox
9bdf67ed.jpg

b8123432.jpg

a36bc2af.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckshotiii