Diesel in a Jeep again...not the wrangler

Storz

Explorer
I could care less about jeeps getting a diesel option. They will be priced at the point you will need a six figure salary to get in one. That puts it out of reach of most people.

Sad but true. A new car is out of reach for a vast majority of us, especially if the diesel is marketed as a premium option. That said I am still glad they are bringing it over! We have an 05 Jetta TDI and its a fantastic car, I've been dreaming of a little diesel truck for years.

Frank

Explorer
I could care less about jeeps getting a diesel option. They will be priced at the point you will need a six figure salary to get in one. That puts it out of reach of most people.

I dont disagree with (parts of that statement) that at all. I would expect it to be around the $50k mark. Before long we will be able to finance for 10+ years on a Jeep. -and I would be ok with that, if the vehicle is going to last that long and/or hold some decent value.

pixelcodex

Observer
I dont disagree with (parts of that statement) that at all. I would expect it to be around the $50k mark. Before long we will be able to finance for 10+ years on a Jeep. -and I would be ok with that, if the vehicle is going to last that long and/or hold some decent value.
Also, the fact that they come in at all gives us the chance at one, even if second or thirdhand. That is how I was able to afford my 07 CRD WK. High mileage, but diesel, and hopefully long lasting engine.

x32792

Adventurer
"Diesel power confirmed for 2013..."?

"Diesel power confirmed for 2013..."?

Just stop right there. Until you actually see one on your dealer's lot for sale, don't get excited.

x32792

Adventurer
Not the dealer's lot, but there are photos of new GC's getting around with CRD badges on the back.

-Dan

Dan,

How many articles have we read and how many photos have we seen of all sorts of Jeeps which never made it to market?

When I see it on a local lot, I'll believe it, but not a minute sooner.

John

h20squirter

Supreme Allied Commander
i think i have given up on the hope of ever getting a diesel wrangler unless i win a small lottery or something like that. i love diesels, but had to sell my last diesel truck because the maintenance was killing me, i didn't need a 3/4 ton pickup, but that was my only way to get a diesel. i think the problem with getting a diesel here in the states is a combo of big gov't, big oil, and the general amount of.... lets just say special folks... if you had 2 identical cars sitting next to each other, one with a gas motor, and one with a modern diesel, and had the avg american drive both of them i would bet they couldn't tell you which was which, but would pick the diesel because it had more pickup and the little screen on the dash told them they were getting 30-40% better fuel mileage.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

I don't understand why you are saying that. If you do the numbers comparison to a country that offers the diesel Wrangler, like Australia, New Zealand or the UK, you will see the difference is not that much.

I personally think it's worth it for the drastically improved mileage and torque.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
i think i have given up on the hope of ever getting a diesel wrangler unless i win a small lottery or something like that. i love diesels, but had to sell my last diesel truck because the maintenance was killing me, i didn't need a 3/4 ton pickup, but that was my only way to get a diesel. i think the problem with getting a diesel here in the states is a combo of big gov't, big oil, and the general amount of.... lets just say special folks...
We know the 3.0 has passed all gov't regs, so big gov is not the problem.
Conspiracy theories aside, I think if big oil were actually trying to stop diesels in North America, they would have done more to block VW and Mercedes by now.
if you had 2 identical cars sitting next to each other, one with a gas motor, and one with a modern diesel, and had the avg american drive both of them i would bet they couldn't tell you which was which, but would pick the diesel because it had more pickup and the little screen on the dash told them they were getting 30-40% better fuel mileage.
Isn't that a good thing? That means the diesels will sell themselves....

-Dan

h20squirter

Supreme Allied Commander
Conspiracy theories aside, I think if big oil were actually trying to stop diesels in North America, they would have done more to block VW and Mercedes by now.
Maybe I am a bit to practical of a thinker, but if its not the oil companies or the government, then why is it that we don't have more diesels already in the states? why are the diesel taxes as high as they are? i'm not going to pretend to be highly educated on this matter because I am not, I'm just thinking out loud here.
Isn't that a good thing? That means the diesels will sell themselves....
I hope so, I am a huge diesel lover and if given the option every vehicle I own would be one. If i had the time, tools, cash and expertise I would be looking to buy an 07-10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and swapping in a nice 4BT and pushing 25-28mpg instead of looking at a 2012 because it has a better gas motor than the previous 3.8L. ohwell, guess I will have to keep waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Maybe I am a bit to practical of a thinker, but if its not the oil companies or the government, then why is it that we don't have more diesels already in the states? why are the diesel taxes as high as they are? i'm not going to pretend to be highly educated on this matter because I am not, I'm just thinking out loud here.
  • Diesel is inelastic to price for companies who rely on shipping and long-haul, and thus a greater profit can be made.
  • % of diesel for commercial purposes is great, thus a way to tax without hurting majority of consumers directly,
  • Executives in US car firms:
    • Generation that were effected by the diesel failure in 70s/80s,
    • Generally live on the populated US coasts and/or Detroit (surrounding). Love Michigan and the UP, &c, but don't have consumer exposure to the long tail of US consumerism. Love LA too, but smaller/gasoline vehicles is the way to go there.
  • Outdated understanding of retail affinity/cannibilization relationships. Just because Mountain Dew was a low-profit product and had a higher landed cost, would you only carry Pepsi in your corner store?
  • Auto industry analysts say they're not popular despite VW, Mercedes, Jeep, truck buyers, world market sales success.
    • "Bought" by the industry in regards to there are not that many manufacturers, hard to have non-bias look and just tell your customer (of only a few) what they want to hear,
    • Don't employ proper statistics or reasoning (e.g. they'd tell you Ford didn't sell very many manual transmission Raptors or Excursions)
I could speculate all day :)

Frank

Explorer
-Dan

When the government owns the auto manufacture and wants to push battery powered cars, the free market is compromised. That is a simple of fact of what is going on.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Maybe I am a bit to practical of a thinker, but if its not the oil companies or the government, then why is it that we don't have more diesels already in the states?

I think the article mentioned earlier in this discussion about the Ford Focus diesel sums it up well:
The high-ups in the auto-industry do not think there is enough demand from consumers for diesel-powered vehicles in North America.

Their number one goal is profit, so I'm certain they have done their homework and would be selling diesels if they thought it would be profitable.
I really hope the (re)intro of the diesel GC gives them a big wake up and they realize the demand is there.

-Dan

h20squirter

Supreme Allied Commander
I think the article mentioned earlier in this discussion about the Ford Focus diesel sums it up well:
The high-ups in the auto-industry do not think there is enough demand from consumers for diesel-powered vehicles in North America.

Their number one goal is profit, so I'm certain they have done their homework and would be selling diesels if they thought it would be profitable.
I really hope the (re)intro of the diesel GC gives them a big wake up and they realize the demand is there.

-Dan

I agree as well, if the GC offered enough room for my wife's vehicle I would gladly go trade in to get a diesel powered GC as soon as they were available, if nothing else than to maybe give myself a better chance at getting a diesel Wrangler. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal