Diesel in a Jeep again...not the wrangler

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
THINK is very different from KNOW.

Very true. I think it's clear the US auto makers are looking at it very seriously right now.

Jeep: Bringing the diesel GC and maybe some Dodge stuff.
GM: confirmed they will have a little diesel car soon (forget name)
Ford: Thinking hard about Diesel Focus (article earlier in thread)

It's good to see, and hopefully those first "tests" go well.

-Dan

h20squirter

Supreme Allied Commander
Very true. I think it's clear the US auto makers are looking at it very seriously right now.

Jeep: Bringing the diesel GC and maybe some Dodge stuff.
GM: confirmed they will have a little diesel car soon (forget name)
Ford: Thinking hard about Diesel Focus (article earlier in thread)

It's good to see, and hopefully those first "tests" go well.

-Dan

here is another "test" that is going on. this would be evidence that at least its not completely the government blocking diesels right?
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/19/cummins-developing-four-cylinder-diesel-for-nissan-titan/
this would be a great motor in any light duty pickup and any suv on the market.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
here is another "test" that is going on. this would be evidence that at least its not completely the government blocking diesels right?
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/19/cummins-developing-four-cylinder-diesel-for-nissan-titan/
this would be a great motor in any light duty pickup and any suv on the market.

Very nice.
Of course, all Nissans, Toyotas, Mitsus and everything else are all available in diesel elsewhere in the world, and 28mpg combined is probably even below average.

-Dan

h20squirter

Supreme Allied Commander
Very nice.
Of course, all Nissans, Toyotas, Mitsus and everything else are all available in diesel elsewhere in the world, and 28mpg combined is probably even below average.

-Dan

This one is being developed by the DOE and Cummins though, to meet Tier 5 Bin 2 or some crap. Can't imagine having a 1/2 ton pickup getting an avg 28 MPG and have tons of towing power. would be bad ***. figure if you put it in an SUV like a Wrangler Unlimited and you could get an avg or around 30-32 MPG, with a 20 gal tank and two 5 gal jerry cans you could go for 900-960 miles before fueling up?? wow.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
This one is being developed by the DOE and Cummins though, to meet Tier 5 Bin 2 or some crap. Can't imagine having a 1/2 ton pickup getting an avg 28 MPG and have tons of towing power. would be bad ***. figure if you put it in an SUV like a Wrangler Unlimited and you could get an avg or around 30-32 MPG, with a 20 gal tank and two 5 gal jerry cans you could go for 900-960 miles before fueling up?? wow.

On sale right now in Australia:

Toyota Hilux:
http://www.toyota.com.au/hilux/specifications/sr-4x2-xtra-cab-pickup-turbo-diesel-manual
3.0 turbo diesel 29MPG.
1 ton capacity

VW Amarock:
http://www.volkswagen-commercial.com.au/au/en/models/Amarok/Highlights/Engines.html
Variety of Diesel options
30 MPG
1.1 ton capactiy

Nissan Patrol
http://www.nissan.com.au/webpages/models/Patrol_Cab_Chassis_model.html#/specification
3.0 turbo Diesel, 175 L gas tank (46 gal)
1 ton capacity
28MPG.

Aim a little higher.

-Dan

gorogergo

One thing to remember is that the readers of this forum aren't the typical car buyer, and not just because of overlanding. It's a fair bet that if you're reading this you have a higher interest in vehicle technology than average. When my wife was looking for a higher MPG car, the first thought she had was "Prius." I eventually got her thinking VW TDI, but of course she went in her own direction.
Lack of consumer knowledge, memories of the '70's GM passenger car diesels, and the (incorrect) perception of diesel as dirty add up to the automakers probably being right about a lack of American interest in diesels. Obviously there's other factors in play, but I think we're slowly moving away from this. If the Chevy Cruze lives up to expectations, we'll pick up speed.

Frank

Explorer
I would have to disagree. People buy what you sell them. People think battery powered cars and these tiny compacts are great, because they have sold on the idea.

To have a Jeep (or even a 1/2 ton truck as the article states) with a diesel engine (typically known to go many more miles than a gas engine) and get 25+ mpg out of the vehicle, people would buy that, if they were sold the factual information.

Soccer moms here are driving Rubicon Jeeps designed to do everything they don't do with them. -they were sold that vehicle.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
If this can work well, bolt-on applications to the driveline is the best option for the huge majority of the present automobile landscape.

“There's no cutting or modifying your vehicle of any type. It's strictly a bolt-in application.”The XDT8-350 kit has been initially designed for the Ford F-150 EcoBoost. The company claims a total of 770 foot pounds of of peak torque (at wide open throttle), with 36 miles per gallon (MPG) based on the first hundred miles, 15,000 pound towing, a 20-mile all electric range, and a 30-minute charge time with the 16 KW onboard charger. When the battery's charge has been depleted to a 40 percent state of charge, the system switches into a charge-sustaining hybrid mode. The system uses Xtreme Power's XP PowerCell lead-acid batteries, with an operating voltage of 48 VDC.

@$0.10/kwh not bad a full charge for less than a $1. A plug-in system, one would assume either a 120VAC or maybe even a 240VAC receptacle. That translates however to 133A and 67A draw, respectively. That's a TON of electricity and a huge supply you won't find on any street corner or even immediately available in your home/garage for J1772 is only approved to 30A (though designed up to 80A), am I missing something (I don't have Flash to watch the video). Is it talking about an on-board generator​?

Last edited:

Navman

Adventurer
And yet another thread that turns into a mirror of our current political debate. A poster presented a few facts in response to a biased opinion and he is villified with this political garbage.

I'm going to drop off Expo again for another several months. I was curious to find out about a diesel in a Jeep and get this crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal