Discount Tire ******!!!...Over

M

modelbuilder

My statements are supported by the fact that you can't provide any proof that spacers are unsafe. That everyone on this forum who uses spacers never had any problems with them on or off road.

None...you talk a good game but all your typing isn't enough. Show me an instance where they have failed and I'll start believing you. But you can't...

And if these failures happen over time give me an example...but you can't.

You can type all you want but until you bring up a real world example to show me that they are unsafe all you are doing is perpetuating the myth that spacers are unsafe. All talk...

Last edited:

misterquad

Okay, let me add my two cents to the mix here.

I can give personally witnessed event of adapters failing. It was summer 1982, I lived in Oxnard, California. The lowriders cruised Saviors Blvd. on Sunday nights. I stood next to a white Cadillac with the front left wheel snapped off and sitting on the ground. He used adapters to fit Tru-Classics on his car and push the wheels out.

Was the failure due to adapter design or operator error? I don't know. I saw one that failed.

That still won't settle any arguements.

lowenbrau

Explorer
My statements are supported by the fact that you can't provide any proof that spacers are unsafe. That everyone on this forum who uses spacers never had any problems with them on or off road.

Huh?.. what?

broken.jpg

MotoDave

Explorer

None...you talk a good game but all your typing isn't enough. Show me an instance where they have failed and I'll start believing you. But you can't...

And if these failures happen over time give me an example...but you can't.

You can type all you want but until you bring up a real world example to show me that they are unsafe all you are doing is perpetuating the myth that spacers are unsafe. All talk....

Hate to tell you this, but that's how engineering works, if we do our jobs the failure of the part should only occur on paper, we rarely see parts tested to destruction. I don't wait until an airplane goes down before evaluating the strength of my parts. I make damn sure its NOT going to fail ahead of time. There are a lot of things I won't do on my vehicle, not because I've seen a first hand failure, but because in my judgment its not a good idea.

I would bet money that most aftermarket parts have not had stress analysis performed by a qualified stress engineer. I'd also bet that they haven't been tested to failure in a manner that gives any meaningful confidence in the parts, meaning a large enough sample size to perform statistical analysis. Most of the parts I see are simply overbuilt, which is an OK way to do it on a budget, especially on a 4x4 truck that's heavy anyways. In this case, talking about wheel adapters specifically, even the manufacturers are un-willing to say their product is designed for street use: http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.8282/KB.4303/.f?category=2

All this thread has been is people voicing their opinions on the subject. Its still my opinion that using wheel adapters on a daily driven street vehicle isn't a good idea, and I've given my reasoning for that, What you do with it is your choice, and as I get the point that you're not changing your opinion on the subject, or willing to listen to any theories other than from someone who has experienced an actual failure, I'll leave this thread at that.

M

modelbuilder

Spacers are still safe...sorry but too many people run them and of those we hardly ever hear of any failures.

Safe.

Just because it may fail does not mean that it will.

Every after market mod you make to your rig runs the risk of failure. As far as spacers are concerned...if they were really that unsafe (as most people here are assuming they are) then spider-trax would be out of business and would be facing law suit after law suit.

http://www.spidertrax.com/

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Spacers are still safe...sorry but too many people run them and of those we hardly ever hear of any failures.

Safe.

Just because it may fail does not mean that it will.

Every after market mod you make to your rig runs the risk of failure. As far as spacers are concerned...if they were really that unsafe (as most people here are assuming they are) then spider-trax would be out of business and would be facing law suit after law suit.

http://www.spidertrax.com/

Are you talking about shim spacers? Because if you are, we are not. That should be a topic for another thread.

If you are talking about adapters that are commonly referred to as "spacers" then, from MotoDave's link:
In either case, due to the nature of products that we sell, all products Spidertrax Off-Road designs and manufactures are intended for off-road use only.

Your wishing them to be safe with no supporting evidence does not make them safe. You ask for me to support my conclusions yet you won't support your own. At least not beyond repetitively stating your blind faith that they are safe. Enough condemning evidence has been posted in this thread. Not my problem if you won't read it or consider it because it is contrary to your faith.

Ironwagon

Reading the Diesel forum linked above, the failed adapters were not aluminum, but steel and a completely different design than the Spidertrax adapters being discussed here.
On a side note, cut apart an old unit bearing sometime, study the design, calculate the forces we put them through on a daily basis then hang up your keys and start biking. It's much safer ! :bike_rider:

DrMoab

Explorer
Safe/unsafe... all relative. How about illegal in the state of Utah ;)

Discount and many other chain/local tire stores won't deal with spacers or beadlocks. Spacers are specifically called out as 'illegal' in our state laws.
A
you are only partially correct. "spacers" as in the unsupported uminum disks that fit between the wheel and hub using only the original studs are in fact illegal in Utah. Adapters, which we are talking about in this thread are not. There is a lot of confusion, even between different inspectors on this but this issuecame up a few years ago and a friend of mine who's dad works for Utah department of public saftey vehicle division cleared it up for us. Spacers illegal, adapters, leagal.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I have concluded that "modelbuilder" is playing with us. He or she really doesn't care what the outcome of this discussion is. He/She's only point is in getting his/her rocks off at the expense of others by goading responses to preposterous statements, and then privately laughing about it.

I find this to be the worst kind of trolling and very offensive. I am done.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
A
you are only partially correct. "spacers" as in the unsupported uminum disks that fit between the wheel and hub using only the original studs are in fact illegal in Utah. Adapters, which we are talking about in this thread are not. There is a lot of confusion, even between different inspectors on this but this issuecame up a few years ago and a friend of mine who's dad works for Utah department of public saftey vehicle division cleared it up for us. Spacers illegal, adapters, leagal.

Nothing partial about it, I said spaces were illegal, not adapters ;) However you'd have my sympathy arguing how it is an adapter when all it does is space to a judge. :D

This has been discussed at length on local forums along with beadlocks. There isn't even an actual law against bead locks however there are those out there that 'claim' to have gotten a ticket (I used to offer $50 towards their defense). Regardless there are plenty out there that have failed safety because of spacers (or non pattern changing) and beadlocks and plenty that get turned away at tire stores, hence the creation of this thread. Hasn't changed my actions :D

Fwiw, the Utah safety inspection manual clearly states:

"REJECT when spacers are used to increase the wheel track width".

It goes on to describe the difference between a wheel spacer and a wheel adapter (which they define as changing the bolt pattern), and shows a picture of the common 'wheel spacer' discussed in this thread. However, they then say then say that a 'wheel spacer' re-uses the same lugs even though there picture has the opposite as well :D

LeadDoggy

Observer
I have a set of 2" custom made adapters on the back of my van. They were custom made to fit hub centric on both the axcel hub and the wheel hub. They are made from solid steel and there is no stress on the lugs. I'm looking forward to going bact to America's Tire for a rotation.
As for the LowRider in the earlier post, those units were probally purchased at Pep Boys. Those are about the cheapest ones anyone can buy. You won't see them on my vehicle.

028.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal