Diving in Head First!

yabanja

Explorer
100 miles down the road, have a nasty vibration above 50 mph. Ditching the balance beads and having the tires balanced conventionally.
b69d71198fd27a11fef7b2eaa6bcfe99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Interesting to hear that. I was considering balance beads myself, but now... maybe not.
Please let us know if doing a normal tyre balance gets rid of the problem, or if that vibration was coming from elsewhere.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
100 miles down the road, have a nasty vibration above 50 mph. Ditching the balance beads and having the tires balanced conventionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be unheard of ( well I've never heard of it), the only way that I know that balance beads would be a problem would be not having enough beads in to do the job. The rate that I know is 1oz per 10 Lbs of tyre or part there of ( so a 72Lb tyre would need 8oz of beads ). If rims are a fair bit out of balance then that could be a problem.
Let us know what you find.

Dan.

yabanja

Explorer
I am a thousand miles into the first road trip with Fido, and I am getting a feel for the vehicle.
1. It really likes to go slow. The slower the better. 50-55 mph is it's happy place although it is capable of much higher speeds.
2. Fuel economy varies wildly depending on driving style. 12 mpg at 65-70 mph with a headwind. 19 mpg(EDIT-16 MPG not 19) under 30 mph in 4wd on dirt roads.(my preferred mode of travel)(Edit two years later-the 16mpg tank was an anomaly. Average fuel economy over last 10k miles 13.1 mpg)
3. The 37 x 12.5 BFG AT TA KO2 tires were the right choice. They are superior in all conditions. Quiet on the freeway. Unstoppable in the mud when aired down to 25psi.
4. Having a camper top that is flush with the cab is a necessity.- Great in headwinds, great for center of gravity, and necessary when driving old dirt roads with many low branches.
5. Fuso campers make friends. Everywhere you go everyone wants to talk about it.
6. This truck is really really good off road. Deep mud and large obstacles are no problem if driven with care.
7. Having Low range is a necessity for me- A the Expo I watched a Duonic truck try to climb up onto an 8" tall log. It wouldn't do it without getting a run at it. My truck will idle over the same obstacle in low range. I also love the ability to control my speed with more precision afforded by the different gear ratios.
Another week on the road and then it is time to start the interior modifications!

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Fuso's still have the aerodynamics of a brick, but looking on the bright side, it is better to have a low profile brick opposed to a high profile one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater