Do it all trailer build.

Salmon

Yeah, 2nd try. Besides me liking the look a little more, the additional clearance would make it a little easier to run a slightly larger tire if you ever wanted (even just the variance between brands might make the first one too tight). And lastly, if you ever get into any mud where you drive, that narrow gap and large surface area might be enough to stop your tire from rolling in some situations. I learned that lesson the hard way with my R1200GS front wheel and close-clearanced fender...

BTW, I'm really digging your fab skills. Kinda makes me wish I could weld. Any guesses on what the final weight will be?

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
More gap in this case is better!

Nothing worse than getting a rock rolled between the tire and fender.......That puts the trailer brakes on fast.

sethmark

Observer
Finished the gussets. Welded and blended them.

9u3u2y6u.jpg

Fender will get welded on tomorrow.

Then the other side..

sethmark

Observer
I tried aluminum but 14 gauge was way too Steel simply made more sense financially and the line x guy seems to think spraying a 4x6 trailer is worth $800.... So tread plate became the order of the day.

sethmark

Observer
Yep. 18 gauge steel panels for the sides. They're built like shoe box tops and will fit inside each of the 8 squares flush with the exterior.

I'm having a buddy cut the panels on his laser table and bend them in a CNC brake. I don't have a box and pan brake at the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater