Do you want a diesel Jeep? Goto http://JeepDieselPetition.com and sign the petition!

x32792

Adventurer
Hehe, my opinions are based on what Jeep has historically done with their diesel offerings here in the USA (take a diesel and slap it in the top trim line and charge a heavy premium for it). CAN they offer them at a $4-6k premium? Absolutely...The question is, will they? We talk to the Jeep guys every year at SEMA. Seems like their reasons for not bringing a diesel change every year.

I haven't been to SEMA, but I have read all I could find on the Diesel Option (over the years) and the underlying and continuing obstacle seems to be sales...Or lack there of..So what if 500+ people sign a petition saying they'd spend $4-6K more for a diesel? Apparently, that's not compelling enough.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
25% of 500 signers is only 125 units.Why would Jeep build anything for such a limited market?:coffee:

Sorry I was not clearer. There are now almost 2000 signatures total, and 25% of those said they would pay $4k or more for the diesel option.. so 500.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
..So what if 500+ people sign a petition saying they'd spend $4-6K more for a diesel? Apparently, that's not compelling enough.

That's so far. It's still gaining an average of 30 signatures a day, and gets close to 100 hits a day.
There certainly is interest.

-Dan

ActionCamper

Supporting Sponsor
Just so everybody knows. Jeeps that are diesel, use VM engines. VM engines are made in Italy and are VERY unreliable and are constantly having head issues. The numbers look great on paper, but reality is quite different. I have a gas JK Rubicon in France. I had to custom order it because usually you can only get them in Diesel. In some countries like Spain, the gas version is just not available. My advice is you stay away from those engines.

The old engines with four single heads had problems, but the JK diesels work great and reliable. I don't think it's good to talk bad about VM just because they had problems in the far past. I know many Jeep mechanics who don't confirm your advice. Just be happy with your gas engine. Of course there are fewer part that might make trouble...

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
The old engines with four single heads had problems, but the JK diesels work great and reliable. I don't think it's good to talk bad about VM just because they had problems in the far past. I know many Jeep mechanics who don't confirm your advice. Just be happy with your gas engine. Of course there are fewer part that might make trouble...

They are not as bad as the old single head version but still unreliable. I'm not talking bad about them just for fun. I'm just letting people know what they are getting into if they get one. They are also very expensive to repair. My info is also first hand from owners and mechanics. Unfortunately the new gas V6 is also nowhere near as good as the old 4.0L straight 6. :(

---
- "Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Expedited--->

There's Hope

It does seem true that the European and Asian emission standards will be closely aligned in 2014 to the US emssions.

Read This:
http://dieseldig.com/2011/04/11/jeep-might-finally-offer-diesels-in-3-years/

and yes, I will buy a diesel powered Jeep Unlimited ASAP. Just for the fuel range alone. There are other benefits to; I'm just looking at how far in Hell I can drive into and back out of without worrying about fuel for awhile. :snorkel:

As the CAFE standards rise, it will pushout most of the gasoline engines that we Americans have had to getby on with our SUV/Trucks. Not all gas options in the market will be killed but it is really hard to get good gas mileage out of barn door style SUV/Trucks.

Regards,
JDB

x32792

Adventurer
Dear John:

It is great to read of your interest in our Jeep Wrangler!

At the present time, Chrysler Group LLC has not disclosed any official
information indicating the availability of a diesel engine for the
future Jeep Wrangler models within the U.S. market. Currently, there are
several diesel vehicle models offered in other countries that are not
offered here. This is due to the more strict emissions requirements set
forth by the United States government.

I have taken the liberty of logging your interest in seeing a diesel
engine become available in the future Jeep Wrangler lineup. Comments
like yours are just one way Chrysler Group LLC learns of improvements to
the current lineup of vehicles that are desired by consumers. With the
way marketing trends consistently change, I would not hesitate to see
new products on the horizon in the future specifically suited to your
needs.

I encourage you to stay in contact with the Jeep Product Information
Center periodically for the latest vehicle updates. Please feel free to
By signing up, you will receive a quarterly Jeep eNewsletter with
updates and information as it becomes available on new vehicles, special
offers, upcoming events, and more!

If you have any further product questions, you are always welcome to
reply back to this e-mail and I will respond back to you as promptly as
I can. If you prefer, you can also call me directly with your questions
at the Jeep Product Information Center by calling 1-800-964-0600.

Thank you for your interest in Jeep. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Nicole
Jeep Product Information Center

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Poo.....Corporate POO Too..! ;)
So I wonder what would happen if someone bought a diesel on in Europe, fitted it with a camper like the Pheonix or ?? and had it brought into the states as an RV? Wonder if that would work...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Currently, there are
several diesel vehicle models offered in other countries that are not
offered here. This is due to the more strict emissions requirements set
forth by the United States government....

You should reply and mention the 3.0 VM/Motori Diesel has passed US emissions testing, so that is no longer a concern :D

... I would not hesitate to see new products on the horizon...

"Not hesitating to see" is a new one on me.

-Dan

x32792

Adventurer
Dan,

I have no idea what "Not hesitating to see" means either.

Test drove a new 2012 3.6L Rubicon yesterday. It had a rag top, manual transmission and a big sticker price... Can't say I was overly impressed.

In a conversion afterwards with the person responsible for ordering vehicles at this dealership, I asked when and if we'd ever see a diesel?

He said since the Fiat takeover, dealers were the very last people to know anything...No heads-up, no advance literature, just a series of surprises.

John

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan,

I have no idea what "Not hesitating to see" means either.
Maybe something like "would not hesitate to expect to see... ?

Test drove a new 2012 3.6L Rubicon yesterday. It had a rag top, manual transmission and a big sticker price... Can't say I was overly impressed.

John

That's a shame, I've been reading pretty good things online. (Up here in Northern Canada it will be a while before I can test drive one)
Most people online saying something along the lines of "The 3.8 was unacceptably gutless. The 3.6 is acceptable"

-Dan

haven

Expedition Leader
"Test drove a new 2012 3.6L Rubicon yesterday. It had a rag top,
manual transmission and a big sticker price..."

Unfortunately, the diesel Wrangler would have an even higher sticker.
How many would buy a Rubicon that costs $45K, just to get the diesel?
I can see healthy sales for a Hemi Rubicon at $45K, but not the diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater