Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

suntinez

Explorer
100_1721.jpg

:clapsmile

Even better than expected! Just needs dirt now.

On the sleeping bag, I just lay mine on the canopy when it's half closed then finish closing it up. That way you don't have to secure the bag to the mattress. I leave a blanket tucked in a bit under the mattress too, no problems with flipping.

ExpoMike

Very nice Dave!!!! Congrats and I look forward to seeing it in person one of these days, hopefully soon.

BTW, off topic, we tried calling you this past Sunday to get the name/number of that pizza place we had during the gear install. Lisa and I were driving down from Big Bear (in the Miata) and wanted to have lunch there. If you get a chance, PM me the info. It was the best pizza I have had... period!

WASURF63

Adventurer
Mattress is about 4 inches thick +/-, very plush compared to my old Eezi-Awn

Bags/bedding can be folded up but may not lay perfect, they could be bungied in place

Awning someday, no more racks for me:)

Sounds very plush. More so than my last two RTT's also (Columbus & Magg).
Thanks again for posting up all the other info and pics. I'm confident there will be more to follow once your inside build begins...
A few more $$$ to go and I will be ordering an ATFP as well.

WS

wikid

Adventurer
I just wanted to compliment you on your really nice Taco . I have more reading to do but it's really a beautiful truck. It's very inspiring
thanks
Don

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thanks for nice words everyone, it has been a long process to get it where I finally feel satisfied with the platform.

I have updated the first post in this thread to reflect all the mods and the history/evolution of the truck and many other details:

>> Main Page <<

Besides a few minor future mods (2M, Netbook/GPS, skidplates), and the interior fitment of the FlipPac, the build is nearly complete ;)

Looking forward to some good trips over the next few years with all of you! :wings:

Last edited:

Super Doody

Explorer
Super slick Dave!!! If you wanted to, could you mount some cross bars on the top the camper? The only issue is the clearance once it folds down.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The Interior Build Has Begun!

The mounting of the 'Pac and all the other maintenance issues I wanted to get sorted out have all been completed satisfactorily so now the "fun" part begins... fitting out the interior of the FlipPac.

This will be all custom and hand made by me for the most part so it will most likely be an evolutionary process until I get it "just right". I chose some nice 1/2 inch Birch plywood as the main structural component which will be augmented by some studs, brackets, and carpeted.

Some key features I am trying to tie together in an organized fashion:

- National Luna Power Pack and Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse block with negative bus
- LED interior lighting system
- Engel fridge
- Toilet (Wag Bag capable) http://relianceproducts.com/products/sanitation/92.html
- Kitchen (burner and grill)
- 10 gallons of water or fuel depending on need (2 Scepters)
- Storage
- Step up for bed access

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
National Luna Power Pack

Today I got the wiring routed to the main battery and the power pack bolted to the floor. Easy kit to install and it comes with EVERYTHING you need, but I took my time and did all the little extra touches that make an install stand up to the test of time (lots of split loom and zip ties along the driver side frame rail avoiding pinch/chafing points and heat). I tend to be a bit OCD with my wiring :)

The remote monitor seen in the picture will be installed in the cab, I was testing it out in the picture. This install will be complete once that is done and the Blue Sea fuse block is mounted and the LED lights are hooked up to it.

I also started the floor plan cutting and sanding my first piece of 1/2 inch Birch plywood to fit the floor. This will serve as the basis for my removable storage/seating module and will also have the Engel base attached to it. Also pictured is the Reliance Hassock toilet, I also have a PETT and am trying to decide which one will work best in the space provided. It will be hidden inside the box I am building when not in use and will be accessed/used by opening the box and taking a seat ;)

101_1746.jpg

101_1748.jpg

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
looking good...I am watching this build now! Really like how much room you have with the Flip Pac. Super sweet set up!! Funny about your toilet but it gives you privacy and keeps things contained. As long as it doesn't get stinky no worries at all!! :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner