Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

DrJohn

Observer
Wow, that looks really nice - solid addition, as usual.

How much quicker is this to set up and pack away than your old Rooftop tent?

I'm also wondering how this compares to the RTT in terms of wind noise while sleeping. The rain fly on my RTT can sound like a freight train coming through the tent in high winds :yikes:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Setup is SUPER easy and takes less than 3 minutes ;)

Leaving camp might take you 5 minutes depending how much you unpack.

AT has some great videos that show the process here:
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html

My old RTT... was a PITA to get the travel cover right and I ended up hating it.

I have yet to have this in high winds but it should be fine since it is a pretty sturdy frame.

tacollie

Glamper
My flippac did suprisingly well in the wind. You should be fine. I am really excited to see the final interior setup.

Kodachrome

Observer
That looks ************!

I almost got a Flip but since I am pretty much living in my Tacoma for my project full time, I sprung for a ATC Bobcat and made it Winter able, I attached a photo of mine from a few days ago. How are you dealing with the dust issues that are common to this bed type, IE, storage cubbies, etc?

I am going to watch this page more now......Oh, and welcome to the no more overpriced hotel rooms club!

As requested :)

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html

100_1721.jpg

Attachments

• Wint_1.jpg
    Wint_1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
How are you dealing with the dust issues that are common to this bed type, IE, storage cubbies, etc?

I got in there with some black RTV silicone and sealed all the drain holes in the cubbies and the bed itself. That should help, and I will be installing a tailgate seal in the future ala Baja Taco

http://www.bajataco.com/camper/camper_seal/index.htm

After I started building the furniture inside I decided to leave the drain holes open in the bottom front of the bed just in case there is a spill or a leak ;)

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
04- Mud Flaps on an 05+ Tacoma

The OEM mudflaps on the 05+ Tacomas are too stiff IMO and break easily compared to older years. I also despise the way newer Toyotas say 4x4 vice 4WD.

Mudflaps are required by law in many locales.

So, I found a set off an 04 with the brackets and modified them to fit my truck :)

101_1778.jpg

101_1780.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The OEM mudflaps on the 05+ Tacomas are too stiff IMO and break easily compared to older years. I also despise the way newer Toyotas say 4x4 vice 4WD.

So, I found a set off an 04 with the brackets and modified them to fit my truck :)

nice! It looks good and I agree with you about the older ones.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Interior Build Continued...

This is proving to be a very challenging project due to the space provided. Good thing I enjoy a challenge ;)

Here are some step by step photos detailing the evolution of the interior to date. Each and every piece is being hand fitted one at a time to ensure that everything works well together.

The end result will be a fairly lightweight, removable camper module that will be bolted to the bed floor for safety. It can be taken out when I need to use the truck as a truck out by removing a few fasteners.

Careful fitment of the Engel base, when installed the power outlet is still usable as well as the side storage box.
101_1770.jpg

I chose Action Packers as my removable storage for supplies as they are very lightweight.
101_1776.jpg

Here is the load I was trying to build everything around.
Two Action Packers can be fitted in the floor space. Water can be carried in the side box.
101_1773.jpg

The foundation of it all - 1/2 inch Birch plywood and studs.
101_1781.jpg

Boxes going together.
101_1782.jpg

Nearly completed sides.
101_1784.jpg

You can see here how the power outlet and side box are unobstructed.
101_1786.jpg

5 gallon Scepter can in the side box to show size/volume available. Side box is reachable behind the jug.
101_1788.jpg

Tie downs are still usable, and there is plenty of room to use the all important opener!
101_1789.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

101_1778.jpg

Not bad at all. I might have to do that.

Your undercarriage looks fantastic by the way.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
how are you mounting the plywood base to the bed? I don't see mention of it in pervious posts. How are you getting the capper tied into the floor? Is that done through your bin design?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
how are you mounting the plywood base to the bed? I don't see mention of it in pervious posts. How are you getting the capper tied into the floor? Is that done through your bin design?

It was detailed above:
The end result will be a fairly lightweight, removable camper module that will be bolted to the bed floor for safety. It can be taken out when I need to use the truck as a truck out by removing a few fasteners.

The 'Pac itself will not be tied to the floor per se, but it is bolted through the sides of the shell into the rail system via three large bolts on each side.

MtnFlyer

Tacodoc,

I am really enjoying your build and hope to do something similar once the economy picks up. I hope you are bringing it to the OvExpo in April so i can get a look at the finished product.

Don

Rexsname

Explorer
Will the placement of the Action Packers make it difficult to walk from the tailgate to the 'flipped open' part of the bed? Or will everything be removed when set up...

REX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner