Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Works good for me. It will not stick to plastic, so I do not have it along the bottom of the bed, but I have never had a problem with much dust coming in there.

Install it and then drive a dusty road, it will be clear where dust is still coming in and needs more sealing.

The stuff I am using will stick to plastic (or composite bed), I got it at Lowes in the weatherstrip section - it is a purple package and labeled for automotive use but IDK the brand.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Doc,

The AT Flippac looks great - congrats on the upgrade. I'd like to piggyback on Bill's question regarding performance off-road. Were the mounts able to hold the FP tight on the bed, or was there some shifting and movement from the vibration and bed flex? And did you feel the rear end more when pulling over obstacles, especially off-camber? I feel like one of the biggest "risks" associated with going with a full-scale bed solution like the FP is the potential for limiting the truck on the more technical roads and trails. I'm interested in your ongoing impressions.

And thanks for the detailed documentation on your interior work - bed organization is a challenge. I like what you've done.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Doc,

The AT Flippac looks great - congrats on the upgrade. I'd like to piggyback on Bill's question regarding performance off-road. Were the mounts able to hold the FP tight on the bed, or was there some shifting and movement from the vibration and bed flex? And did you feel the rear end more when pulling over obstacles, especially off-camber? I feel like one of the biggest "risks" associated with going with a full-scale bed solution like the FP is the potential for limiting the truck on the more technical roads and trails. I'm interested in your ongoing impressions.

And thanks for the detailed documentation on your interior work - bed organization is a challenge. I like what you've done.

The FP mounts hold great (mine is bolted on) and it kept alignment perfectly - I checked it out post trip and nothing moved at all despite all my frame twisting fun :)

Off road and off camber I dont feel limited at all. In fact, as others can attest, this last weekend in Death Valley some unladen vehicles and vehicles with trailers had difficulty gettting over Mengel Pass - I rolled through with ease and didnt even need the rear locker!

The FP only weighs 290lbs, my "furniture" in the camper including the fully loaded Engel is approximately 100lbs (very generous estimate) so, that load in conjunction with the OME Dakar springs works nicely at speed or in 4LO. The proper rear suspension is key here, and the OME stuff is one of the best mods to the truck so far.

Compared to my old steel rack and RTT setup, the truck feels very svelte despite the fact that I have a full camper setup back there now. This is a great lightweight solution IMO.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
FlipPac Rain Report

Well, we have been having some real rain storms here in SoCal as of late... :snorkel:

So, how did the FlipPac do when on the road as far as the bed/shell seal, back window/tailgate seal, and the "flip seal" you ask???

Here is my no holds barred evaluation:

It sealed out about 99% of the torrential downpours that it has seen in the last week or so :)

Problem areas?

Well, for starters, the composite bed is near impossible to seal from the sides due to the numerous holes and the storage boxes - despite my best attempts at a detailed sealing, these areas get some water into the bed when driving through 1+ feet of water at 15-20 mph. Go figure.

Not alot of water mind you, but there was evidence of water ingress around the boxes, I could probably eliminate this by slowing down when driving through flooded areas.

The only other issue I could see was a small amount around that rear window/top of tailgate area. No big deal, I'm talking drops vice gallons.

After a full post-storm inspection today, the topmost gasket on the flip portion of the shell was dry as a bone inside - including all bedding and the mattress - not a drop! Everything above the side storage boxes/fenderwells was dry as a bone, and the lower portion of the bed would have seen practically zero moisture had I not driven through deep water on the street at speed (my el cheapo attempt at undercarriage cleaning).

No leaking from the front of the bed/shell interface (most people with shells have issues there).

Overall, I am very impressed :smiley_drive:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Console Vault

I finally got around to acquiring and installing one of these. Perfect fit in the existing center console with combination lock. Great way to secure valuables when away from the vehicle.

Pros are obvious, the only real con being a little less cubic inches available in the center console once this is installed but well worth it for peace of mind.

CV1012_RHDiagClosed2.jpg

CV1014_Inside.jpg

http://www.center-of-mass.com/CV_Details/CV1012.htm

Last edited:

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
I got a great deal on this, thanks Don! ;)

I'd like to get one of those but I'm having a hard time justifying $275 on a little steel box. I'd like something more secure for my handgun if I need to store it in my center console (which I don't like doing) but I could buy an entire alarm system for that price... or a Taser to rig to fire if you open the console. :sombrero:

Maybe I'll just booby trap it with one of these:

ALSG101.jpg

ALS Hornet's Nest Grenade

Last edited:

sargeek

Adventurer
Kill Switch

Please post pictures once you have the lock box installed. You could also add a switch to your fuel pump inside the lock box, and it would make it very difficult for someone to borrow the truck.

robert

Expedition Leader
I sort of like the idea of putting the switch in the box instead of hiding it, but I'm curious how well it mounts to the truck. Long gone are the days of popping the cap off and taking the rotor with you....

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I'd like to get one of those but I'm having a hard time justifying $275 on a little steel box. I'd like something more secure for my handgun if I need to store it in my center console (which I don't like doing) but I could buy an entire alarm system for that price... or a Taser to rig to fire if you open the console. :sombrero:

Maybe I'll just booby trap it with one of these:

ALSG101.jpg

ALS Hornet's Nest Grenade
LOL! Guy I use to hang w/ had his lock-box broken into so many times he wanted to compress a 3/4 ton chevy coil under the lid and lock it.....he said if the burglar wasn't right there, he'd just have to follow the blood trail.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Netbook Nav System: Check

Great news folks, I have Overland Navigator working on a brand new Samsung N130 netbook with the Globalsat Sirf III GPS puck and Windows 7 Starter!!! :wings:

I had my doubts since it had not been installed on anything with W7 yet... but it works really well and is SO EASY to use!

Here is what I am using:
http://spatialminds.com/

http://spatialminds.com/BU353-GlobalSat-BU353-WaterProof-USB-GPS/A/B000V5TV22.htm

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/.../NP-N130-KA01UK/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven