Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
The guys at demello are fabing this up for you? Looks great. They are good guys. I got my sliders from them. A former Marine did work there, not sure if he does anymore.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The guys at demello are fabing this up for you? Looks great. They are good guys. I got my sliders from them. A former Marine did work there, not sure if he does anymore.

Yes, this is turning into a work of art and I'm really happy with the result. So many small refinements over my other bumper that are perfectly suited to my needs have been incorporated into this design that I literally ran out of things to add. The design will be available for others to purchase and the swingout is made for "ala carte" additions and subtractions based on what the user wants. For example, the receiver hitch on the swingout can be used to carry mountain bikes or a spare tire carrier or even a firewood/gear basket can be added there.

pre-powdercoat.jpg

Being able to configure things to the mission adds a great deal of utility to a swingout vice just being stuck with a spare and a can carrier back there.

It's off to powdercoat monday, stay tuned!

Last edited:

wingysataday

Adventurer
Man if I just had an extra 20 grand lying around... Over the last 3 days it has taken me about 3hrs to look at this entire thread. It makes me happy to have a tacoma! I want to go to an expo event. Maybe they have one in the PNW somewhere? Sweet rig man so many hours of fun! Blessings

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Killer bumper Dave. I like how you thought of Justin AKA GEAR with the Yakama rack for the Moonlander bike. All kidding aside looks like a very well thought out design and should serve you well. Got to show it off at the MTRV.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
SoCal Mountain Rendezvous

The Mountain Rendezvous is really gaining alot of steam this year and looks to be our best outing to date. Between raising some cash for the Boy Scouts, the Mountain Challenge, the raffle, the meal sponsored by Tembo Tusk and laid down by OVG and happy hour sponsored by Overland Journal and Tacodoc.com this is going to be HUGE! :bigbossHL:

2012 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous thread on Expedition Portal

MRVLOGOEDIT.jpg

A BIG THANK YOU TO OUR SUPPORTERS! The 2012 Mountain Rendezvous is made possible in part through the generous support of the Long Beach Council of the Boy Scouts of America and our friends in the Overland Industry:

OVG-Logo-White-on-Black-1024x395.jpg

OVERLAND GOURMET

BunduGear.gif

BUNDU GEAR

See you in the Mountains!

at-overland3-1024x404.jpg

ADVENTURE TRAILERS

URSAMINORVEHICLES.jpg

URSA MINOR VEHICLES

6-viking-blk.png

VIKING OFFROAD

overland_journal_new.gif

OVERLAND JOURNAL

SMB-Logo-1024x328.jpg

SPORTSMOBILE

allpro.jpg

ALLPRO

IronPigOfroad.gif

Iron Pig Off Road

snowpeaklogo1.gif

SNOW PEAK

TripleAughtDesign-Logo_CMYK-300-3x1.3_zpsc705057f.png

TRIPLE AUGHT DESIGN

Trasharoo.jpg

TRASHAROO

demello_logo1.gif

DEMELLO OFFROAD

TEMBO3.jpg

TEMBO TUSK

JPFREEKLOGO.jpg

JPFreek Adventure Magazine

Some positive press for the upcoming Rendezvous and Tacodoc.com courtesy of Overland Gourmet
salute.gif

2012 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous at Overland Gourmet

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Parts score!

I found a rock on Mengel Pass in Death Valley awhile back... and scored my driveshaft pretty badly. I hate rocks.

Looked around at a few options like Tom Woods ($), a shaft replacement/repair/rebalance at a local drive line shop ($350+), SoCal junkyards (good luck finding newer Toy 4WD parts), and the dealer (new OEM Toyota is approx $900!). So I kept running it and looking for a used one.

Found a complete driveshaft assembly (flange to flange two piece with center support bearing) from a 2010 Tacoma 4WD auto trans double cab (taken off at 4K miles for an upgrade) FS on Tacoma World for $50 plus shipping - to my door for $140

Awesome! :D

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I found a rock on Mengel Pass in Death Valley awhile back... and scored my driveshaft pretty badly. I hate rocks.

Looked around at a few options like Tom Woods ($), a shaft replacement/repair/rebalance at a local drive line shop ($350+), SoCal junkyards (good luck finding newer Toy 4WD parts), and the dealer (new OEM Toyota is approx $900!). So I kept running it and looking for a used one.

Found a complete driveshaft assembly (flange to flange two piece with center support bearing) from a 2010 Tacoma 4WD auto trans double cab (taken off at 4K miles for an upgrade) FS on Tacoma World for $50 plus shipping - to my door for $140

That's an understatement... very good deal. Or you could rebuild the shaft and substitute that section with schedule 40... then you can break rocks with the shaft.

barlowrs

Explorer
What are you guys talking about? That means he has to pack extra material? No no no that just will not do!!!!

You forget he has his waffle ball bat, that will be bullet proof!

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp

You've done exceptionally well. Congrats on the good find!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Demello Offroad Rear Bumper

Here are a few pics of the completed Demello bumper installed and ready just in time for Mountain Rendezvous :cool:

All the accessories on the swingout are lightweight - AT can carriers, AT propane bracket, Aluminess pioneer tool carrier, and the fold down table are all aluminum.

Heavy roller bearing pivot, gate locks closed and open. Dual receiver hitches for towing and carrying mountain bikes or an optional second spare on the swingout. Built in mud flap brackets and LED back up light and LED license plate light.

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg