Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
What tires are you running now?

Size?

BFG MT KM 255/85R16 (not KM2's) on stock TRD alloy wheels.

I had a great experience with the first set and since I got a deal on a set of 4 for $139 each - I couldn't pass it up. I also saved even more since I did not need to buy a 5th tire for a matching spare like I would have if I had changed styles or sizes, I had my spare from the last set that only had a couple hundred miles on it.

We'll see what new tires are available when these ones are done...

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Good idea to stay with what you know works... there is a lesson there for me as I'm currently shopping for new traction tires. :sombrero:

BFG MT KM 255/85R16 (not KM2's) on stock TRD alloy wheels.

I had a great experience with the first set and since I got a deal on a set of 4 for $139 each - I couldn't pass it up. I also saved even more since I did not need to buy a 5th tire for a matching spare like I would have if I had changed styles or sizes, I had my spare from the last set that only had a couple hundred miles on it.

We'll see what new tires are available when these ones are done...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Awesome Weekend trip with BajaTaco and XJ_Mike and Lisa

Joshua Tree was awesome! :victory:

BajaTaco made the trip out from Prescott and met up with us at JT, we cruised some trails in the park, and eventually left the park via Berdoo Canyon camping for the night above Berdoo Camp with a nice view of Coachella and beyond. Weather was amazingly mild.
:campfire:

Chris took some astonishing photos... I am blown away by his skills as a photographer :bowdown:

At some point he may even share them with the world... :jump:

Last edited:

southpier

Expedition Leader
spare tire & wheel

i never was a fan or keeping the spare in the stock location, but need all the bed space there is.

Q: anyone ever relocate the spare to the extended cab? now, what's available is the "access cab" and it would seem with the seats pulled there would be ample room for gear.

thanks

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
i never was a fan or keeping the spare in the stock location, but need all the bed space there is.

Q: anyone ever relocate the spare to the extended cab? now, what's available is the "access cab" and it would seem with the seats pulled there would be ample room for gear.

thanks

Never seen that done but I see no reason why it wouldn't work - just make sure the spare is well secured so it doesn't become a projectile in the event of a collision :Wow1:

I had my fridge in the cab with one seat pulled out for a long time and ended up wishing I had the seat back so the fridge ended up in the bed/shell. A swingout is a good option too although in all honesty the best place for the spare really is the OEM spot - between the frame rails for a nice low COG ;)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Ordered some parts to get a few "back burner" projects knocked out before OVEXPO :smiley_drive:

1. Firestik 3 ft antenna w/fender mount from Walcott CB to get the comms working again

2. A sheet of 5052-H32 aluminum, 0.249" thickness, 12" x 36" for $46 from onlinemetals dot com. I will be using it to tinker around with a custom center stack mount design that I have been planning for the netbook...

3. An Onyx laptop mount as a backup JIC the custom mount doesnt get done in time, we'll see which one I end up keeping long term

http://www.dura-mounts.com/products/...top-Mount.html

Darren

Adventurer
Per Dave's request, here is a blog entry of mine comparing the only two players for what my next vehicle would be.

And since I've yet to comment in this thread, that is one amazing build, Dave! Super impressive. All kinds of goodies. If the world were to end today, you may just make it through! That is as nice of a setup as I've seen. Well done!

Saharicon

Adventurer
Awesome... I say awesome build!!!!

Also, Navy Corpsman... good in my book :victory:

Semper Fi - Saharicon

Im getting ready to post a Hi, im a toyota newb thread :sombrero:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Sweet man, we will have some product there, but not us....LOL

Yep, your product on my truck gets plenty of compliments. I send alot of referrals your way ;)

BTW, that CBI bumper should be adorning the pages of a major publication here real soon... stay tuned.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Lightforce 240's

I picked up a new set of Lightforce 240's from Wil at Sierra Expeditions booth during OVX. I will be mounting these to the ARB and moving my smaller IPF 968's to some custom brackets at the rear of the truck for backup/camp lights. This should finish off my exterior lighting needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven