Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
We've seen photos of FP's with interior and exterior lights; question: does the FP come with these lights, or are they a special order? We have a stock '06 Tacoma access cab, V6, 6-ft. bed. We're not planning on making any extreme off-road expeditions, but still wondering if there's anything we should do before the FP is installed. Here is the first sketch and photo of the truck.

Interior lights are standard though LED is an upgrade. Exterior lighting is optional aftermarket stuff.

I recommend that you upgrade your suspension with something like Old Man Emu Dakars in the rear and 886's up front. Once you add the shell you will continue to add weight with house stuff, the truck will drive much better and feel safer/more stable with stiffer springs. You'll need to counter the "turtle effect", trust me.

Ressie

Interior lights are standard though LED is an upgrade. Exterior lighting is optional aftermarket stuff.

I recommend that you upgrade your suspension with something like Old Man Emu Dakars in the rear and 886's up front. Once you add the shell you will continue to add weight with house stuff, the truck will drive much better and feel safer/more stable with stiffer springs. You'll need to counter the "turtle effect", trust me.

Doc,

Thank you for the advice, since I won't be doing any off-roading. Do you think Firestone helper air springs would work? Also what are the dimensions of the inside overhang edge of the Flippac?

Thank you,

Ressie

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Air bags will work but I do not recommend air bag systems for technical terrain in 4WD. YMMV. No idea what the "inside overhang edge" is that you speak of.

Air bags will work but I do not recommend air bag systems for technical terrain in 4WD. YMMV. No idea what the "inside overhang edge" is that you speak of.

I'd second that one. I had them recommended to me and I ended up tearing the top mounting bolt off one of them. Apparently they didn't like three tons of lateral movement. Deaver's are on order, which is what I should have done in the first place.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Timbrens work great. I like mine.

I'll 2nd that!
I'm running a custom Deaver 9-pack w/Timbrens and 5100's in the rear.
My camper is well over 1000lbs when loaded with supplies and this combo keeps everything in check when leaving the pavement.

All good first hand experience and recommendations from Shruk, Hadley, and DOC.

Ressie

Thanks Doc! I started my own page with Google plus to show the progress of the Toyota Tacoma and the Flip-Pac https://plus.google.com/103826507051500917590. Since I'm not really in the 4x4 club, Google+ seemed like a good option. Added a couple of links to your website and your expeditonportal forum feed. Would love to get one of your TacoDoc.com stickers for my truck! Thanks for all the info, and the inspiration.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Some Upgrades

The new Demello rear bumper compliments the FlipPac quite well

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads