Equipt's Land Cruiser 100 Series

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Had that happen to me once riding in the front passenger seat of a friend's F-350 going over the Harbor Bridge in Corpus Christi, TX. Almost sounded like a gunshot next to my head. Saving grace was that at 70mph and with the A/C blowing there was enough positive pressure inside the cab that all that glass went out. I had one pebble-sized piece in my lap and no scratches at all. Everyone thought I had been shot. Hell, I was wondering myself for a second while my brain was still ringing. Never figured out what hit the window... Now we know it was your trailer that did it.
:coffeedrink:

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
It could have been, I guess. Had Jimmy Buffett turned up a bit to loud. If that is possible. I'd bet on the rock.

Your sticker link go me to thinking. I found what was left of my sticker.

Jolly-Dog.jpg

I think the sentimentality has more to do with where I got it. The Jolly Dog is a pretty cool watering hole on the east side of St. John USVI. Good memories live there. Maybe I'll write them and see if I can get a replacement.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Topgun514

Adventurer
Hey Paul, I have been interested in your build for some time now and just recently noticed the address... is that your home or work? I only ask because I am approximately 5/5.5 blocks from you.

I would love to meet you one day and pick your brains on hundy's and check out your build.

Thanks, Colin

Equipt

That's home. Give me a buzz any time. I'd be happy to get together some time.

Cheers,

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
most all the Aussie's towing trailers use rock screens just to protect the back windows

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Howdy,

The aux tank resides where the spare tire was. It fills that entire cavity, and actually sites higher than the spare did. I am on my second tank. The first one lost some volume after a few years on landing on rocks on it. So it probably went from 170 liter to around 165 liter. I had one new tank that I had sitting here for several years. Front Runner notified us that they would no longer be making the long range tanks for the 100, so I decided to use the last one available for myself.

It is a pump feed tank that draws fuel off the bottom through an external fuel pump and it pours the fuel in the top of the split neck toward the main tank. That way if you leave the pump on after the main tank fills up, the fuel back up the main filler line and pours back into the aux tank.

I am away from me photos for the weekend. When I get back to my main computer, I will upload a couple photos.

Cheers,

We built one just like that for my 04 Tacoma. I just found a guy who could tig weld up aluminum and gave him the measurements we had come up with. It worked very well, you just had to keep an eye on it when transfering as you could overfill the maintank. So while there may no longer be a bolt in option for the 100 series it is still doable.

Your truck is very well thought out. The IFS kills the 100 series for me but that is just me. Keep your eye out for 105 series while down south, they are around down there and almost all have the 1HDT. To bad Toyota never sold the 105 in the USA.

Equipt

Hey Lance, are the rock screens mounted on the trailer then? I guess I haven't noticed them. What do they look like?

I will keep my eye out for the 105. Only a few trucks are on my "Next" list. The 105, and the 76 LC Wagon. Neither available here. Figures.

Cheers,

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Look here at the front of these trailers
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=103794
IMG_2356.jpg

A different one with a closer view
IMGP1252.jpg

Surfy

Adventurer
Amazing Buildup @ Paul!

Why you endup with an electric Heater? Why do you prefere that over an Heatexchanger like that from Helton?

The idea to use an Heatexchanger and use the engine to produce warm water sound great, i think, and for longer trips is the energy the bigger problem?

I own a Land Cruiser 200 Petrol, and i`m on to buildup a overlanding vehicle for 2 Persons. Your inside buildup are that what i`m dreaming on.

We want to sleep both inside, so i`m searching a solution, to place the 40l freezer in a way who it dosnt need so much space like in your Setup.

She is only a little bit over 1.6m in lenght - so i plan to fix the freezer behind the co-driver seat.

Not easy to plan the whole thing...

Surfy

Equipt

Thanks Lance, now I get it. Nice beer protector in the second photo.

Cheers,

Equipt

Hey Surfy. Thanks for the kudos.

The reasoning behind the electric heater is several fold. The main reason is because of the location of the water storage/pump/valve. It is inside the vehicle compartment. I wasn't very keen on drilling big holes in the floor board of my truck for the coolant lines. I can run the heater off of a 30A fuse. Easy enough. I also designed it so I can remove the clamshell and put the seat back in if desired. Disconnecting a couple wires is much easier than disconnecting hose lines. I also like the fact that I can run this system with a cold vehicle. Our usual process is to heat the water while driving, using the available electrical from the alternator while the vehicle is on. We can even turn the vehicle off for the evening and have hot showers in the morning. The 1.5 gallon tank is insulated. I haven't tried this one yet. Maybe on the Central America trip. So those were the main reasons for the electric over the cooling system. Both are great solutions. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

The drawer and clam shell directly behind the passenger seat makes a great bed for one. I am 6'4" and with the front seat moved forward I can stretch out just fine. The Fridge box is the bottle neck for 2 people inside, that is for sure. The height of a fridge is a limiting factor to a platform low enough to actually sleep on.

You could go to the next level with something like this!

IMG_0906 (Medium).jpg

Now THAT would be cool.

Cheers,

Surfy

Adventurer
I`m from Switzerland, and the German Guys who build that, "Innovation Campers" (they do also that one from Tom`s) and "Offroad Schmiede" are near. But this level of buildup is way to professional for my needs.

I had played with the idea - but it ends with kitchen inside - with toilett - with overloading. And with overload - there is no more fun while offroading. So i go back to the basics, what does i really need.

So i endet with the idea of a "minimal camper build" - thats near what you have inside and for cooking a dualfire gamipinggaz.

ARB Frontbar, Winch, Kaymar Rearbar with tyre holder, Lockers, 180l add. fueltank are planned too

I want to cross africa next year, starting from Switzerland to Durban in 6-8 weeks, Southafrica if the political situation allows it. With each 10`000 Euro more my risk with the "carnet du passage" and the car grow up. When i loose the car - i have to tax the car, have no car anymore and get poor :Wow1:

Maybee for my planned longterm trip - i do warmup the idea of a Offroad Schmiede roof, and a 2nd level of the buildup. But that depends on the experiences i will get in africa with the minimal setup.

Too bad that the freezer will be the bottleneck :-( The LC 200 has a cooling-box - but for food a freezer would be nice.. I have 2m in the lengt in the back, with no moving the frontseats (they are set back at maximum as standard (i`m 1,9m).

Maybee it make sense- to place like you have, but in the middle, so that our legs are sepatated by the box?

Equipt

I took that shot at the Abenture-Allrad show, June 2010. I was amazed at what was possible on the Land Cruiser chassis. Pretty cool, but I would agree it does take a bunch of the offroad capacity away. Very professional and quite expensive.

If you are in Switzerland, you should talk to Chris at Safari Centre in Schweiz. www.safari-centre.com. He might have some solutions for you. Safari Center is the EU importer of the Big Country drawer systems from South Africa. A very nice product line, with excellent construction. Perhaps they can consult on your minimal build. Say hi for me.

Cheers,

Surfy

Adventurer
the world is small - i`m in contact with chris :)

Most of the Companys who buildup such cars here dont wan`t handle my AHC System. So i had to choose someone who will builtin a stronger version of AHC, because of the added weight (Front / Rearbar and so on). So i take another company for the offroad buildup.

But for the inside buildup we are in contact.

Maybee we meet us all @ Abenteuer Allrad 2012 :)

I`m shure i have a spleen, that i will use such a technical Car to travel - but i love my AHC, and the other luxurary stuff.. A good milage onroad - and with adjustable chassis very also capable offroad. And i can push on unpaved bad roads, thats unbelievable - fun fun fun.

Matto

Observer
Re: stone guards on the campers, this is ours :

PC180005.JPG

They're good, and pretty much mandatory here if you use your camper offroad.

Surfy - for your freezer, would something like this work?
http://www.waeco.com.au/products.asp?id=165&catId=6&subCatId=13&subCatId2=-1
thumbCreator.asp

You might be able to put a couple of them side by side, run one as a freezer, one as a fridge. As for sleeping, I'm thinking that they're so short that you might be able to build your sleeping platform on top of them.

That Innovation Campers 200 is very cool. I've never seen one like that here. Pop top conversions to the 76 series wagons are pretty common here (you can hire one if you want to go travelling), but I've never seen a 200 done like that. I like it!

Thanks!
Matto :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven