EricM's 2001 XJ Camping - Geocaching - Family Daily Driver

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Just found the wires that hook the 12V battery to my trailer.
BatteryCable.jpg

Now I can run the lights and water pump (and maybe even the fridge) on the battery when we don't have hook ups.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Just got back from the local auto recycling yard. $75 got me a grey leather rear seat out of a 99 grand Cherokee. They will pull it and I pick it up on Tuesday or Wednesday. In the past you could pull parts yourself, but someone hurt themself so you can't pull parts yourself anymore.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I took the rear seat out in preparation of the grand Cherokee seat. I awas going to take pics and do a whole write up, but since it was made to be taken out, all of two bolts, I didn't.

If the new seat install is tricky then I will do a write up

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
That's interesting to know a GC seat may fit its lil XJ brother. I know folks swap the fronts in to make it more comfy but never knew about the rear. I'd like pics when your done please. :) I'm actually thinking of tossing my rear seat or finding a way to raise it up on different brackets. I want to remove and mod the little bulkhead that the lower cushion sit on (that hides the jack etc) and see if I can accomplish two things at one time. A flat(er) rear cargo area once the seats are pulled and maybe enough room to either store a couple pelican cases or build some kind of more usable storage area. I don't carry extra folks so this is prob. not something you'd do unless I figure a way to make the seats still work. :)

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Also, I am trying to come up with a rack system that will hold 4 bikes, a spare tire and still have some space for a basket (and maybe even some lights.)

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I have the seat, and half of it is in, I planned on taking pics, but didn't. I was super busy yesterday, but I am making progress on getting the pop up trailer ready for our two week trip to Tennessee and Kentucky.

I will pics of the semi finished result. I don't plan on putting the seat bottoms in yet, they require a fair amount of trimming.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Got the rear uppers in. I need to trim the lower so I will do that after vacation ( we leave in a week and a half).

bd82795e.jpg

947a6046.jpg

I hope to get a rooftop bike rack built before we go.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Fronts are far better than the XJ seats, and I would never go back. They do feel different, but it is a good different. The XJ rails are a direct swap for the ZJ or in my case the WJ seat rails, and it took 30 minutes to get them in.

IMG_20111106_141107.jpg

IMG_20111106_141206.jpg

IMG_20111106_141229.jpg

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Thanks!

I am going to check out the junk yard that I got my rear seats from (they have three with the gray/pewter interiors) and see if they have manual ones. I guess I can run a 12v wire to the seats for power....

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
But you'll probably want to run them off a relay. They can be thirsty for juice. Also, don't forget to thoroughly clean and lube all the moving parts and tracks. :)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I just saw a new (within a couple years?) Honda car in the JY here. I don't know much about cars, imports esp. but it has some pretty nice looking leather heated seats in it. I may look at it and measure to see if I can squeeze those in my XJ. :) Gotta love warm buns!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3