Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

shov3lbum

Adventurer
he tried holding a smooth as possible. I also used YouTubes video stabilizer option when uploading.

I noticed that you used some type of after filming processing, some videos on youtube of a Montero Sport that I watched made me feel like I was on a drug trip or something watching it with that funny youtube video stabilizer option! lol

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Here is my last trip report: Mancation to Indian Valley, CA.

Some pics from the report

IMG_4234_zps701400a2.jpg

IMG_4229_zpsfae9edca.jpg

IMG_4255_zps99cd0339.jpg

IMG_4290_zps65545906.jpg

DSC05269_zpsbaba7005.jpg

DSC05284_zps7869235c.jpg

IMG_1484_zps5ad27b40.jpg

DSC05205copy_zps86b75d8d.jpg

IMG_1493_zps68a9f6d5.jpg

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Finally had a chance to get some work done on the Mitsubitchi. I banged the rear lower quarters few times on the trails so it was time for them to go.

This was a new experience for me because it was my first time welding. Always wanted to learn, figure this would be a nice simple project to get started with. After picking up a Lincoln 180 I practiced on some on scrap before jumping into this. My next-door neighbor is a certified welder with 30 years experience, so he showed me the ropes on what and how. Of course few hours on YouTube helped as well!
Over all this was a fun project, I recommend anyone on here to give this a try.

Plan was to chop the lowers up to the first ridge, which lines up well with the rear body line.

Ready to go :)

Beforehand I bought some 20-gauge plate from a local metal supply store for $3.

It was much easier to do this with the wheel off.

Masked the cut line

First used an angle grinder to cut, no going back now.

Finished it off with a sawzall

To trace the shape for the filler plate I used a piece of cardboard which I pressed against the chopped quarter.

Fits good

Traced it on to the plate

Some prep for welding

Tacked it onto place

Finished the rest and cleaned up the welds

Same on the other side

Used this stuff over the nastier welds behind the panel

For now I sprayed it over with primer, later will do the sides with bed liner.

Moved over the drain and plug

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
While the wheel was off I rolled the inner fender lip. I had it rub against my tires few times and once took out a small chunk. If you have 35s this needs to be done.

Here are the results. Once the rear bumper gets built, it will wrap around to protect the body.

Next on the list - rear frame/gas tank tuck.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Great work!!!

I found out that if you've modified the bump stops in front, you will get nasty rubbing on 33's at full compression while turning. I removed chunks from my tires on the inner bodywork. :( I'm gonna have to address that one of these days, though I don't plan on serious rock crawling too much so it's not at the front of the list!

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Update for today:

Wired up my AC fan to turn on with a switch inside the cabin w/o turning on the AC. Hopefully this will keep things cool during hot summer trail runs in the sierra. Especially on the upcoming Rubicon trip.

To turn on the fan, I grounded the blue/black wire on the plug. (hat-tip to cap510 for this one)

then ran the wire along my spot lights wiring into the cabin.

Hooked up the switch

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
The current ARB FJ cruiser bumper is way to big for my needs. So for better approach angle I decided to trim the lower part of the bumper. I will be moving the winch mouting on the bumper also, but thats later. I need to have this bumper on the car for the upcoming trip.

Most of the work was done with an angle grinder.

For hard to reach places has to use the sawzall

while doing all this I decided to redo my bumper mounts using square tubing. Will post pics later.
This is how it sits so far. I also tucked it in a little bit more and chopped more off the edges.

A friend chopped his down the middle and made it more narrow (looked similar to yours, sticking out the sides too much).

Looks good with the fat trimmed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3