Exp. Trophy 08 - overland route

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hello from the "southern" overland route! We had the awards dinner last night at the main event camp, and today we worked our way across one of the two overland routes. Al Walter and I led the group and it's a new route for us, traveling roughly from Wickenburg, AZ to the KOFA range. We met some unexpected detours (roads on the map that didn't exist) so we ended up only a little more than half-way to our intended destination. But it's a great place to camp, and we are settled amidst soaring rocky buttes and the desert looks grand this evening. Here's a toast to all at ExPo from us :)

Left to right: Al (awalter) Chris (Bajataco) Connie (Connie) Graham (gjackson) Justin (Gear) Miles (Miles) Patrick (kepicona), Athanasios (makedonas1)

exp_trophy_01.jpg

And Al's bar:

exp_trophy_02.jpg

viatierra

Explorer
Ouch! Christine and I were really torn to have to miss out on tonight's festivities (the bar, live music and Africa pictures).

Have fun...

Willman

Right on guys!!!

Sorry i missed it this year!

Next year for sure!!!!!!!!

Party on!

:victory:

PS

Need more action shots Chris!!!!

:088:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Thanks guys., wish you were here. Greg, it was great to have you out with us today. Great trail!

Another shot from just before we got to camp. . .

exp_trophy_03.jpg

Creek said:
mmmm...NB 1554...awesome

Mmmm. . . have you tried the "giddy up"from NB yet?

BTW, Al is doing his Africa slideshow right now. :lurk:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Too much fun!

Chris,
Thanks for posting the pictures and making us green with envy! Wishing I could have been there. I'm not trying to scare you or anything... but slide shows in the bush are cool!
Happy trails,
P

A

agavelvr

It was great seeing everyone at this years ET. Wish I could have joined your overland group Chris! It looks like you guys had an excellent time.

Take it easy,

RHINO

Expedition Leader
it would be cool if spectators and camping contributors were invited or allowed. i would have enjoyed cooking for the group.

oh yeah and i saw graham yesterday headed east on I-10, cant mistake that 110 for any other.

Last edited:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Wow - you guys actually got to sit down and get a group shot in the daylight??? :sombrero:

The north overland route was a lot of fun. Dunno about you guys, but we were on a clearly marked road, and we made it to camp by about noon :hehe:.

At least, it was clearly marked on the Delorme, Ozi, and Lowrance!

It's maybe better we didn't try to come out at the highway, Gary and I drove north afterwards and located the gate where we should have met the main road, there were two police cruisers stopped behind a van, lights on, and a guy spread-eagled on the ground.

There was a "Pitch Black" moment when I located what I thought was an old fire ring in the distance, and it turned out to be a cow skeleton.

Definitely an experience that felt like "overland"...it had been a while since that road had been used.

Good times, and great people! :sombrero:

-Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design