Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

MTaco

Adventurer
Clay, I was finally able to watch a few episodes from last season and I'm hooked. EPISODE 5 “IT BARELY MAKES SENSE” blew me away. My brother and I did the Morrison a few years back and how you guys were able to pull a trailer up that trail was nothing short of amazing. I remember the Jeep guys saying that his Tacoma was too long to make the switchbacks but we did it and the view at the top was well worth the effort.

The video and narration are first class. Keep up the hard work, you have a hit on your hands!

m.tran

Great build. Only dislike are the sliders that connect to the front bumper. Is that a requirement or could you get away with a setup without those connecting rods? They are ugly.

Also glad the conversation has gone away from the gun racks. I had to scroll through a bunch of pages to get some car related info...

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Great build. Only dislike are the sliders that connect to the front bumper. Is that a requirement or could you get away with a setup without those connecting rods? They are ugly.

Also glad the conversation has gone away from the gun racks. I had to scroll through a bunch of pages to get some car related info...

Those bars is an Australian thing, i personal like them lol

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Dark horse Customs Slider and fender rails.

Dark Horse Customs in Bozeman, MT did a fantastic job of fitting up some slider bars.
http://www.darkhorsecustoms.com
This is what we wanted:
-Strong enough to use as a Hilift jack point.
-Be as strong as necessary but as light as possible.
-be functional as a step for roof rack access.
-Match the looks of the ARB curves and bar.
-provide side protection for deep rutted roads and thick brush and to potentially save the fender in the event of animal strike.
- Side bars needed to be removable for repair work.

Here are the pics of the process.

Flexing the truck to see the bed flex limitations.

ARB bull bar Side rail mounts.

Disconnect points for the side bars.

The inicial fitting.

Fully assembled ready for powder-coat.

The final welds!

Its the little things!!

- The bars performed great on the trip and we would not change anything about them. The side bars protected us on multiple occasions!

Last edited:

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
The Holy Grail of Electronic simplicity!

We are extremely fortunate to be able to place a S-POD system in both our 100 Series LC and our New 2013 Tacoma. The S-pod has been flawless through our expedition and on a couple occasions let us know of issues within our power systems due to its smart voltage system. The installation of your electronics is a very efficient, clean and simple. This is one of the best products on our vehicle when it comes to function, ease, and cost. It truely is one of the "hidden details" that makes the vehicle the work horse that it is.

http://www.4x4spod.com

Install photos!
A clean install into the Dark glasses holder.

Remount hole drilled.

One Plug to rule them all!

Very clean!

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks!

Clay, I was finally able to watch a few episodes from last season and I'm hooked. EPISODE 5 “IT BARELY MAKES SENSE” blew me away. My brother and I did the Morrison a few years back and how you guys were able to pull a trailer up that trail was nothing short of amazing. I remember the Jeep guys saying that his Tacoma was too long to make the switchbacks but we did it and the view at the top was well worth the effort.

The video and narration are first class. Keep up the hard work, you have a hit on your hands!

Thanks a Million! We are working hard on this next season and I hope that we can continue to "Amaze".

Clay-

SGTCap

Adventurer
The xPod looked a little pricey at firest glance, but the more I look at it the more I can justify the price. Nice product, I see one in my near future.

Can't wait to see the next episode guys. BTW what happened to season 1 episodes 1-4? Am I missing anything?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Been keeping track of the build and travels so far. I'm missing my old Tacoma! Very nicely put together vehicle.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
n00b here, just read through the thread and checked out the site. Nice work on everything!

Looking forward to the next update.

nitro gear packages for Land Cruiser, Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, Tundra, 4runner and more!

Gear Packages to make it easy!

We recieve lots of questions about gearing, so we've mad it easy with hyperlinks below!

These Nitro “Gear Packages” include everything necessary to re-gear the front and rear of many popular 4x4 Trucks, Jeeps and SUV's.

Is your 4X4 vehicle suffering from poor performance and reduced fuel economy resulting from oversized tires?

A Nitro gear change will help get that performance and economy back!

It is a common misconception that lower gears are only for hardcore off-roading, in actuality the average daily driven vehicle can see huge improvements in both performance and economy by properly matching their vehicle’s gear ratio to their tire size all while reducing strain on the vehicles drivetrain.

We at Nitro Gear & Axle realize how confusing and difficult it can be for the average consumer or gear installation shop to compile the list of gear parts and prices required when doing a complete front and rear gear change. To make it easier for everyone the experts at Nitro Gear & Axle are introducing an industry first - “Gear Packages”

These gear packages are specifically designed for many popular 4x4 applications such as the Dodge Ram, Chevy/GMC 2500/3500HD, Toyota Land Cruiser/FJ Cruiser/4-Runner/Tacoma/Tundra, Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler/Rubicon and Ford F250/F350 SuperDuty.

These gears are manufactured from 8620 steel forgings and are precision machined using a computer controlled process. Heat treatment, CNC triple-lapping and Rockwell testing for hardness ensures excellent fitment, ideal contact pattern and smooth, quiet operation.

Nitro Gear & Axle sells ring and pinions for more than just the Dodge, Chevy/GMC, Toyota, Jeep and Ford vehicles listed in our gear package section so please contact us if you don't see your vehicle listed in our gear packages.

Some popular Toyota Gear packages:

Includes Front and Rear:[/FONT]
-Ring & Pinions[/FONT]
-Master Install kits with bearings, shims, seals, etc (MK)[/FONT]
-Solid preload Spacers if available (noted as SK in description)[/FONT]
-Pinion flanges (if noted with YOK)[/FONT]

1991-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 70 & 80 Series Front & Rear Gear Package Kit: (click below to buy)
4.56 with OE lockers
4.88 with OE lockers
5.29 with OE lockers

1998-2007 Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series
Front & Rear Gear Package Kit: (click below to buy)4.30
4.30 with oe rear locker
4.88 with oe rear locker

2008-Present Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series
Front & Rear Gear Package Kit: (click below to buy)
http://www.justdifferentials.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GPTOY200-4.88-1

Toyota Landcruiser II, Bundera LJ, RJ, KZJ 70/73/78
4.30http://www.justdifferentials.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GPLJ70-456
http://www.justdifferentials.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GPLJ70-529

07-09 FJ Cruiser, 03-09 4Runner Prado 120, 05+ Hilux
4.56 with OE rear locker
4.88 with OE rear locker

2010+ FJ Cruiser, 4runner, Prado 150
4.56 with OE rear locker

95.5-04 Tacoma, 00-06 Tundra & Sequoia
4.56 without Rear locker
4.88 without Rear Locker
5.29 without rear locker

05+ Tacoma
4.56 with OE rear locker
4.88 with OE rear Locker
http://www.justdifferentials.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GPFJCRUISER-4.88-2

07+ Toyota Tundra
4.88 w/ 5.7L
4.88 w/ 4.6L or 4.7L

Also See attached PDF.

You can also purchase these parts from your local Nitro Dealer, email to find someone in your area.[/QUOTE]

We headed out to Justdifferentials.com shop in Wenatchee, Washington to have our 100 series land cruiser and our new 2013 Toyota Tacoma Regeared.
Video here:http://www.xoverland.com/videos/nitro-gears-and-air-lockers-installed/

Gears: 4:56 gears. NITRO gears.
We found that the gears increased our RPMS at 70 MPH by 350+ RPMS running the 285/75/R16 Tires.

Our low range first gear is so slow we can "slowly Stroll" by the vehicle as it idles downhill. AKA AWESOME!!!

The Gears will dramatically help when the vehicle becomes heavier. The pep and power will still be available and the engine will not have to work as hard on the starts as well as the hills during Highway travel. We do have a 70 MPH speed limit within our fleet and this regearing has had zero negative effects. We see only possitive so far. Look for our video coming out later this month on our time in Washington at JTs.

We also have not seen any major fuel economy side effects either. We actually anticipate to get better milage than if we had not regeared with all the weight to come.

We truely think this is one of the best upgrades we can do to the truck. Its an unseen upgrade but everytime you step into the rig you remember and its pretty sweet!

4K4A8083_zps56e3e844.jpg

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Truck Wrap

We had our new Tacoma wrapped again in the flat gunmetal grey from 3M. We have found that this wrap is incredibly durable and lasts despite pretty heavy abuse (scratches, MUD, WINTER) We have found some fading to happen with stickers placed over the top but it also might be due to waxes found in car washing soap etc. We are not 100% sure. Overall this is a great thing for us and it serves a great purpose in making our vehicles look like a fleet (which is kinda fun!). These wraps retail in this area for around $2,500 -$3,500. SCS sponsored us this year and we could not of been more thrilled!

http://scswraps.com

Install Rough footage clip.

Stripped and ready for wrapping.

Attention to detail is big!

Carbon fiber wrapped Toyota emblem. This was wrapped in a Carbon Fiber wrap material. We wanted this to have texture.

The X

The basic wrap finished. sponsor stickers came later.

THANKS SCS !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333