Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

Benbacher

Observer
Talked to Clay the other day, sent them some good trail information. They were just leaving Anchorage after eating at the famous Moose's Tooth restaurant. Hoping they got onto some good trails that night. Really excited to see where all they ended up.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
just went thru all 34 pages. less talk, more pictures haha . great build so far. been following you guys since you started way back

bbbflash

Observer
Where did Season 1 E: 1-4 go? I need to watch them to keep me from going crazy waiting for the Alaska episodes. Keep up the great work guys!!!

bbbflash

Observer
They must be lost. I went hunting for them on both YouTube and Vimeo today with no success. Really looking forward to Alaska! Lets hope the boy don't get lost along with the footage.

iamkmann

Why not a Tundra?

Clay, with all the equipment you guys carry on your expeditions I'm curious as to why you chose the Tacoma rather than the Tundra? Aside from getting less MPGs and not coming with a factory rear locker, IMO, the Tundra would be much more suitable for your expos. More HP & torque, more payload capacity, stiffer frame, etc. Imagine a crew max Tundra with a Stage V Icon Suspension and all the other goodies you have on the Tacoma. That would be quite an expo truck. I will reveal that I am biased because I own a 2013 Crew Max Rock Warrior. :)

Benbacher

Observer
Tundra is too big to be practical. Most of the trails I've been on are pretty tight as it is, so with the wider, taller, longer, tundra you'd have an even harder time navigating the terrain. Not saying it cant be done, but with size you are only limited if you are too big. Smaller rigs just have to be more capable.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
i would do a expedition style tundra with LT using this the one in picture lol. i dont think its the size they are worried about since they already pull a trailer. I think the LC and taco is better know for expedition and can push their name better

IMG_3142.jpg

iamkmann

As far as I can tell, they're not taking tight trails all the way up to the Arctic circle, they're taking well traveled roads. I realize that Tundras are much larger and are not made for driving Jeep trails and rock crawling. I asked the question because based on the Alaska Expedition, IMO, the Tundra would've been a more suitable platform. I've never owned a Tacoma but contemplated buying one over the Tundra because of their reputation. But in the end, it came down to the Tundra because I wanted a truck that could haul and tow without breaking a sweat. Previously, I owned a 4th gen 4Runner with the 4.7 V8 so I knew that I wouldn't be satisfied with a V6 after driving the 4.7. IMO, the 4.7 is one of the best motors that Toyota has ever built. I hope the 5.7 is every bit as good.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
4.7 is one of toyotas best motors. i have a 2000 tundra with 335xxx miles on it. runs great. im still impressive. you have to remember they dont plan to change vehicles for every trip. the Alaska trip just happen to be their 1st trip with the next/new vehicle. im sure the taco will be much suited for many more trips ahead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues