Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
You should just replace the whole system with an arb compressor :sombrero: I've got a pretty good idea how if you're up to try it!

jhawk

Adventurer
After, my second front strut on my LR3 I replaced everything with the AB 2in lift coil set-up. I have not been in one situation off or on road where I wish I still had the air suspension. I also know I'll never have to make 26 mile trip back from Crown King on bump stops.

Jim

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
There is something to be said for peace of mind! How have you felt about the ride? Whats noticeable in terms of differences? Its 2 inches so roughly the stock off road height or the "normal" johnson rod height?

no-pistons

Adventurer
Actual failure. See post 247. Aside from air suspension they seem reliable except maybe a water pump giving up the ghost. The jag engine is very reliable and so is the ZF transmission. Those are two reasons I am thinking about taking the plunge.

One of my front struts started leaking at less than 60k miles. Now at 65k miles my LR3 is in the shop getting a transmission problem diagnosed (will not shift from gears 3 to 4).

So far, I had better reliability with my previous Disco 1.

jhawk

Adventurer
IMG_0739.JPG
There is something to be said for peace of mind! How have you felt about the ride? Whats noticeable in terms of differences? Its 2 inches so roughly the stock off road height or the "normal" johnson rod height?

The truck handles a ton better at speed on the freeway, and high speed on dirt roads. In technical off road situations I have not once missed the air suspension.

As far as actually lift, I think it's more than 2in. However, I didn't do before measurements.

Jim

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Speaking of articulation, next weekend our club will have an RTI ramp at our Annual meet. For the heck of it, I'm going to run my truck up it. I wonder if they'll have an award for least flex?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Speaking of articulation, next weekend our club will have an RTI ramp at our Annual meet. For the heck of it, I'm going to run my truck up it. I wonder if they'll have an award for least flex?

The LR3 platform (same as RRS) does "okay" on the RTI ramp, considering its stock:

IMG_9644-L.jpg

spikemd

Explorer

Up near Truckee last month, an LR4 we were with had air suspension issues. He broke an airline and obviously dropped to bump stops. I have 94k on the lr3 and I know the previous owner (Sasquatch who pioneered the rods) replaced one strut. Once she hits 120k, I will probably convert to coils as everything becomes a wear item like my P38. Over time, air springs leak, rubber O-rings crack, valve blocks will leak and the compressors need replacing. I think the air suspension is phenomenal when it works well, but as these trucks age, parts will fail.

On a side note, the coolant bleeder valve disintegrated on our LR3 going over Donner Pass. This is a $12 plastic part that should be changed at least every 50k miles. You will see it on top of the engine and it is a 5 minute change but is prone to failure and a common fault. I upgraded to a metal nipple and keep a spare plastic one for other LR3/RRSs.

Metal bleeder valve: http://www.falconworks.net/parts/LR3_fitting_upgrade.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach