expedition style build up of my '90 Toyota pickup

roamingaz

Explorer
I am back after a vaction and working out some issues on this truck but thats the fun part of building it.
I figured I would post up some info on the solar panel system. So far it is working perfect, the other charge controller was either defective or too much for my system, it was made for up to 150 watts and 30 amps, the current charge controller will handle 75 watts and 7 amps but it is maintaining my batteries so much better then the other.

I started with my Engel 45 fridge cold using 110v power and both Optima yellow top batteries fully charged. As soon as it got daylight the solar panel started charging and I switched the fridge to 12volt power.
mid afternoon and the solar panel output is great, batteries are still fully charged.

Solar panel output , bright sunlight, mid afternoon

misc008-1.jpg

this is the charging voltage

misc009-1.jpg

And this is the battery voltage

misc010-1.jpg

I have turned the fridge all the way up and when it gets dark I will turn it down. I want to see how much drain on the batteries it will have overnight and if the solar panel will be able to recharge them back fast enough to matain proper operating voltage.

another thing I put on is this nifty table from Thule. I think it will work pretty well.

misc007-2.jpg

alextreme76

Observer
haha, i ALMOST bought this truck and you got the day before i had the money together...then i almost bought it when you put it back on craigslist, but i found an 05 taco for a smoking deal

roamingaz

Explorer
haha, i ALMOST bought this truck and you got the day before i had the money together...then i almost bought it when you put it back on craigslist, but i found an 05 taco for a smoking deal

:wings: kinda funny when I went to look at the truck he thought I was someone else but he give me the option to buy it first.

roamingaz

Explorer
I don't know how I missed this build before but I am liking what I am seeing!! I'll keep my eye out for ya around town!

I will be at the overland expo, I am looking forward to meeting new people and seeing all the awesome vehicles and different build ideas.

jh504

Explorer
I love the build! I was going to use the exact same kind of utility shell for a single cab 3rd gen I was looking to purchase. Its good to see someone building a 3rd gen truck. I am working on a 2nd gen 4runner right now. Do you have any plans for the suspension?

roamingaz

Explorer
I love the build! I was going to use the exact same kind of utility shell for a single cab 3rd gen I was looking to purchase. Its good to see someone building a 3rd gen truck. I am working on a 2nd gen 4runner right now. Do you have any plans for the suspension?

I do have plans for the suspension, I was going to do a SAS but I like to be a little different and I already have a ARB locker in front so when I get the funds together I am going to do a Total Chaos long travel kit. I seen their kit on a truck and it is actually overbuilt for my needs but I really like the 12 " of wheel travel in front.
I am getting a lot done in a short amount of time so I want to drive it for a while and work out the bugs so I know what works and what doesn't. I was in a hurry to swap out the 4:88 gears but after driving it for a couple weeks I am glad I kept them even though the rpm's are a bit high on the freeway.

I will post up more pics of the truck today when I get home.

Last edited:

roamingaz

Explorer
Here is a couple before and after pics of my truck, I have a lot of work to get done on it this weekend and I will post of some more pics and a mod list.
I will be at the Overland Expo next month so keep a look out for my truck and stop by and say hi.

ebay029.jpg

toyotabuild004.jpg

ebay033.jpg

toyotabuild002-1.jpg

jh504

Explorer
The truck looks great. It is simple, no nonsense, and very functional. I really like the build! I think the total chaos setup is would be excellent for an expedition style rig. I wish that I had the funds for the kit.

roamingaz

Explorer
heres a little update on the truck.

I put another fold down table on the other door, this thing is solid and adjustable to 3 feet.

april09078.jpg

april09080.jpg

loaded up everything has a place. I was going to do a drawer system but so far the pelican cases work very well, they hold spare parts and fluids, tools and the 2 small ones are for food and kitchen.

april09077.jpg

I mounted the power inverter so it is hidden, I have a remote switch to turn it on.

toyotabuild002-5.jpg

I took it on a short trail run last week, it runs awesome.

toyotabuild004-2.jpg

rovingowl

Observer
man, your truck is looking great! did you remove the side bin from the cap on the drivers side? i didn't know they were removable. i've been considering a similar cap for my truck and the side bin would be great for work, but not so great for travel and camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy