expedition style build up of my '90 Toyota pickup

xx.xii

Observer
yea that is a good way to describe the difference, i saw how bright ur lightswere in that one pic and that right of way sold me on it. i run surefires with all my bags, weapons, and for spare handhelds in my rig. one thing i would like to add to my truck toolbox is a pair of surefire head lamps for working or navigating aound the truck or camp/work site.

one day i will post up a thread of my build but ive done lil minor things here and there that i never really took pics,if i did i ended up erasing them, mainly cuz i used my cel phone camera which is 5 megapixels so good enough for web pics,

so r u planning on painting ur rig? i read earlier u were leaving that option open...i ask cuz i too am thinking if i should or not...i like the all blk look i have but it has become so much of a ''main stream'' fad or trend wutever they call it that it puts me in the box with the rest of the ''show'' trucks lol...even though i try not to worry bout what others think unless theyre the respected few. ur rig would look nice tan especially where u reside at. i am on debate of changing to tan/blk, olive drab/blk, dark grey/blk

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
I finished up the shelf, looks pretty good and it is really stable.
toyotabuild003.jpg

I also put on some door holders.
toyotabuild002.jpg

The shelf holds alot of weight no problem and it fits my Pelican 1550
toyotabuild006.jpg

I will probally only use it for my cookstove. Here is my new Brunton vapor stove, it fits really nice and just the right height.
toyotabuild005.jpg

I mostly did wiring today but I was able to get the rack on and test fit the fridge.

toyotabuild001.jpg

toyotabuild007.jpg

Tomarrow I will finish up most of the wiring , I am still waiting for my fridge temp gauge. As soon as I can get it installed then I can wire loom all the wires and get some good wpics of everything.
I will start putting together all my gear and get it ready to load up for my weekend trip.
What part of this forum should I post details on what I carry in the truck like tools and camping stuff?
I also posted a bunch of stuff in the for sale section here, lots of misc. stuff.

Where did you pick up those folding brackets? I'm looking to do a shelf almost exactly like that. Great build. Makes me wish I had a truck. Hmmmmmm..... "Honey, can I buy a truck and utility shell?" She said, "no." Dang it!

ArmyTaco

Observer
Truck looks good. About the RTT and wind. I recently camped in mine on a mountain bald at about 5500 ft up and the wind was blowing bad. My friend in a ground tent got up twice to restake his tent throughout the night because of the wind. I other than the noice from the rainfly did not have any problems with the wind in my RTT. It was stable. I mean it is attached to a 5000# truck to keep it planted. Just some food for thought. I really liked it after that. It also when fully closed up and the rain fly down can hold the heat in really good. I was surprise but I got warm a couple times using really god bags, a mink blanket on top and it got down into the low 30's high 20's that night.

irish_11

Explorer
So I saw a picture of your rig in the expedition sub forum over on TTORA (Unless there's another one out there like it) and I've got to say I'm impressed. It looks like a sweet setup and I'm definitely a fan. Who is the manufacturer of the camper shell by the way? Im looking for one for my rig with the ambulance doors and so far I've only been able to find the ARE DCU that'll fit a Tacoma. I want that same canopy, or at least the same style though. Keep up with the photos too this build is sweet!

roamingaz

Explorer
Thanks!
I did post this on 2 other forums but I mainly just visit this site. My camper is made by ARE, I found it on craigslist for $300 and recently with all the construction jobs going away more and more are going up for sale really cheap in fact I seen one on CL yesterday just like mine for $50!
I have a drawer system going in and I am working on building a sleeping platform inside the camper rather then a RTT.
I will post up more pics as soon as I finish the inside.

HopeOverLandandSea

I have been watching the local CL for a similar top and wanted to ask about the door locks?!

Can they be locked and operated from inside the truck bed? I am wanting to basically sleep in my bed, and so far I cannot find a good answer to this?

The ARE DCU is what I have been looking at the most, what I really want is one with a toolbox on the side(s), a ladder rack for my Canoe, and I will be adding a window unit a/c so that when the side door/toolbox is opened, the a/c can cool down the interior!

Biggest worry at this point is the door handle / lock. I suppose I could try and rig up / replace it with one from an RV, but hoping you have the answer since you own one of these already?

Any thoughts on why more folks don't sleep inside / use window units / generators etc?

toy_tek

Adventurer
Any thoughts on why more folks don't sleep inside / use window units / generators etc?

Well aside from the weight you'd be carrying along (window unit = big gen), the noise would be deafening in the wilderness. At that point one might as well be in an RV in a designated campground.

I have no idea on the latches. But I would like to know about the drop down hinge/supports for the table...

BTW cool thread RoamingAZ. We must practically be neighbors, I'm in E Mesa. I'll keep an eye out for your truck.

roamingaz

Explorer
I have been watching the local CL for a similar top and wanted to ask about the door locks?!

Can they be locked and operated from inside the truck bed? I am wanting to basically sleep in my bed, and so far I cannot find a good answer to this?

The ARE DCU is what I have been looking at the most, what I really want is one with a toolbox on the side(s), a ladder rack for my Canoe, and I will be adding a window unit a/c so that when the side door/toolbox is opened, the a/c can cool down the interior!

Biggest worry at this point is the door handle / lock. I suppose I could try and rig up / replace it with one from an RV, but hoping you have the answer since you own one of these already?

Yes the latches will open from the inside, I was going to sleep inside mine too but I am too long to fit comfortably so I bought a roof top tent.
I just found a utility shell on the Phoenix CL for $45 !!

roamingaz

Explorer
Well aside from the weight you'd be carrying along (window unit = big gen), the noise would be deafening in the wilderness. At that point one might as well be in an RV in a designated campground.

I have no idea on the latches. But I would like to know about the drop down hinge/supports for the table...

BTW cool thread RoamingAZ. We must practically be neighbors, I'm in E Mesa. I'll keep an eye out for your truck.

My drop down table is from American Van, it cost $130 shipped, the other is one I made wth folding hinges I found at the local RV store for $14.

I am in the area of Delaware and Broadway, my Sequoia is my daily driver for now though.

roamingaz

Explorer
After attending Overland Expo I got to work changing around a few things, I am still not completely satisfied with how everything works but I am working out all the bugs.

Thanks to craigslist I scored a brand new rear bumper from Daystar for $100.

2008and2009pictures758.jpg

and from a local expo member I bought a set of drawers for cheap.

2008and2009pictures753.jpg

They fit really well. they were origanlly a 3 stack but I cut them apart and I am considering cutting the other one and making it a flat 3 drawer system with the fridge on top, but for now it works ok.

2008and2009pictures751.jpg

I really like the size of these drawers. Here is a picture of the bottom drawer, it holds my PullPal perfectly as well as my Max ax, winch control, small shovel, and various big tools that dont fit my tool box.

2008and2009pictures754.jpg

Other drawer currently contains misc. straps, ropes, spare hoses and small parts.

2008and2009pictures755.jpg

The top drawer holds my entire camp kitchen. I will be adding a few more things but as of now it has a small stove, fuel, cookset, MSR plate and bowl, utensils, fold up sink,
2008and2009pictures756-1.jpg

I keep all my food items in a Pelican case to keep it water tight and also it is much easier to bring the case in to the house after a outing.
2008and2009pictures757.jpg

My original plans with the camper shell was to build a sleeping platform but I am simply to long to fit comfortably inside the camper so I have bought a roof top tent. I had to relocate the spare tire, the only place I could find that fit ok is inside , I used a old strap from a semi and cut it to fit. I am suprised how well it holds the tire. I also built a slide out for the fridge so removing the tire would be easier.
2008and2009pictures759.jpg

1 other minor thing I added was a roof rack rod holder, I found this holder at bass pro shops for less then $10, next time I am there I will get another one so I can keep all my rods inside the camper.
2008and2009pictures752.jpg

roamingaz

Explorer
:wings: My roof top tent arrived today ....
Adventuretruck001.jpg

Adventuretruck007.jpg

Adventuretruck003.jpg

I will get the add on room amd this could be a shower/changeing area.:tent:

Adventuretruck008.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy