Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey Brian, thanks for the suggestion. The reason is the heat-up time. It takes 60 minutes of the heating element to raise the water temp 48 degrees. So if I set the thermostat for 120 and it is 50 degrees out (the temp the bulk storage water would be) it would take nearly two hours to fully heat the one gallon of water in the water heater. This is a low watt unit.

So, I need to be heating while I am driving to save battery capacity for the fridge, etc.

The second reason is that the unit is well insulated, so as soon as the water is heated, it will hold with only a 20 degree drop in 24 hours at 60 degree air temp.

In summary:

1. Need to heat while driving
2. Time it takes to heat the water
3. Keep hot water with unit off for washing dishes, etc.

At least that is my logic :D

Scott Brady

Founder
Chris and Pasquale,

I think I will use a check valve and loop the line higher than the outlet as a back-up.

How much flow pressure do those valves eat? My little FloJet is only 50psi at 2.9 gallons per minute.

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Those Midi CV's look like a winner ( low pressure drop)

FEATURES Series 6 ?Elastomer seat ?Installation in horizontal or vertical position ?Low pressure drop; low opening pressure ?Positive back stop ?Brass body Series P-6 ?Plastic check valve ?Extremely low cracking pressure ?Full flow capabilities ?Bubble-tight seating ?Corrosion-resistant ?NSF approved grade acetal body Watts 6 1?2" - 1" (15-25mm) Watts P6 Series Watts P6

another idea =

here

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
Chris and Pasquale,

I think I will use a check valve and loop the line higher than the outlet as a back-up.

How much flow pressure do those valves eat? My little FloJet is only 50psi at 2.9 gallons per minute.

Sounds good. The Midi-valve from Watts has a press. loss chart on the 2nd page - it doesn't start to lose press. until about 7.5 GPM for the 1/2" and 5 GPM for the 3/8" size and then it's only 1 psi. The Nibco valve press. loss is not listed, but I don't imagine it is much different.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Got ya See those are the details that make the difference. Well then why not get an in line vale that operated on a 1/4 turn and mount it so the valve halnde comes up through your rear deck. The it would be easy access access and easy on/off. I

If your tank and pump are located on the inside in the bed already that would be a very easy plumbing job to add that valve right in the same area on the rear deck.

Scott Brady

Founder
I took a few pictures of the truck yesterday for an upcoming mag article, and thought I would share:

prsct_shoot.JPG

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Ok, so I couldn't read all the info in this thread, but skimmed through it. That is one IMPRESSIVE Taco. Wow very nice work there. Now I hope you get to enjoy it fully. :clapsmile

Scott Brady

Founder
upcruiser said:
Now I hope you get to enjoy it fully. :clapsmile

I appreciate the kind words. What you just said above is about where I am. Over a year long build, and now it is time to get her dirty. I only have three more systems to address:

1. Seats: GTSII's should be arriving shortly
2. Navigation: Garmin 376c, further testing with laptop and touchscreen
3. Communication: Sat. comm., CB and XM

After that, I am probably going to work on refining my gear lists, packing systems, etc. But pretty much just drive it.

Now my Jeep has been on my mind a little bit. It will be the next project, for pulling my new Adventure Trailer across the trails in CO, AZ and UT.

gjackson

FRGS
Scott,

Seems you could loose some weight (not much!) by getting rid of some of that Eezi Awn ladder. A couple we travelled with welded up a small extension base for the ladder that fit into the rails. Sorry I don't have pics of it.

Awesome looking rig though. Sorry I missed it at the rally!

cheers

Scott Brady

Founder
Good idea RE the ladder trimming. I have resisted it as I have considered using it on the roof of the Trooper on occasion.

Scott Brady

Founder
Water system

I am starting the water system installation tomorrow. I have the pump, hot water heater, most of the fittings and a new BedRug to install.

I have changed the configuration some though, as the water tank was originally going to be mounted sideways, from wheel well to wheel well. I think that will be an issue, as 200 pounds of water moves back and forth. So I am going to mount it long ways, on the passenger side.

Look for pictures soon!

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Liquid Inertia issues...

Scott,
Does your water tank have any kind of internal baffles? Gas tanks often have internal baffles to minimize the inertial forces of moving liquid. Just curious if your water tank has any similar internal considerations.

Joel

Scott Brady

Founder
Joel,

Well timed question. Chris and I were just talking about that today. The tank does not have any baffling, so I have changed the mounting direction which favors the long wheelbase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven