Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Scott Brady

Founder
Color rear view camera

The color camera from Total Vision Products is installed. With the roof tent and spare tire, I had no rearward visibility. Now I do :)

This little mod is certainly my one dirty little "bling" concession...

rear_camera.JPG

The monitor is also mounted, but I don't have a good picture yet. I will post it in the morning. The monitor is a Xenarc touch screen TFT with VGA and composite inputs. It has three inputs total, allowing for additional cameras in the future.

Scott Brady

Founder
Back-up lamp installed

I have installed the second Matador lamp as a back up light. It is switched on from inside the cab.

It also will work as the "camp" light on the passenger side when the tailgate is open. This allows for the driver (mounted to the toolbox) and passenger sides to have lighting in camp.

back-up_lamp.JPG

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I am glad you posted about the camera set up - we should have a thread about it, and how well it works :chowtime:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Desertdude said:
I am glad you posted about the camera set up - we should have a thread about it, and how well it works :chowtime:

I agree! I wonder how well it will work in extremely duty conditions, and or muddy conditions. (Maybe Chris will Chime in) I love the idea and am glad to see Total Vision getting under way in the off-road market! The only down falls might be cleaning the lenses. I cant wait to check out Scott and Chris' camera systems in Nov! Just around the corner...

Wil

Scott Brady

Founder
Monitor Installed

As promised, here is the monitor installed and functioning. The camera has an excellent field of view, from just a few feet behind the truck to infinity. The daytime performance of the screen is better than I expected.

xenarc_monitor.JPG

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
NICE!!! :victory:

Cleaning the lenses is no big deal, to me anyway. In the southwest, it's not much of an issue - maybe it would be in BC or the northwest and such areas due to frequency of mud. I think Scott's will rarely need to be cleaned due to the height and location, and it will likey be heavy dust that eventually needs to be cleaned more so than mud. But cleaning the lenses is pretty effortless, and I have only had to do it a few times since I have had my cams installed. For the benefit gained, it's not really even a consideration IMO.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Reading this thread is kinda like going to Las Vegas.....

I can barely absorb one amazing post before there is another, even more amazing than the one before. Talk about sensory overload....

:beer::beer::beer: NICE JOB SCOTT! :beer::beer::beer:

blupaddler

Conspirator
Scott
Pardon my lack of understanding. I am still trying to figure out electrical stuff. :confused:

The work lamp on the bumper is wired to your reverse lights, AND you can manually switch it on also? Can you elaborate how this is done?

I had some reverse lights wired up to a previous truck. Now with the super dark windows, backing up can be a chore. I have some Hella 500's sitting around that I don't know what to do with. B/C some Lightforce 240's found their way to my front bumper. :D

bluerunner

Adventurer
Yeah can we see how you ran the wiring too maybe, so that it works with the swing out?

I know it just takes longer wiring but you always do such great work it would be a treat! :D

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Relocated winch controller

expeditionswest said:
I will be relocating the controller. It will be a good project for next spring, along with the navigation solutions. :jumping:

Scott, I'm not sure if you already had a location in mind, but if your engine bay is anything like mine, space is at a premium so this is what I came up with for a mounting solution for the winch controller.

Cramped Engine compartment
DSC02772.jpg

Controller location pic 1
DSC02774.jpg

Controller location pic 2
DSC02775.jpg

Cheers :beer:,
p

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Watch the remote wire.

bluerunner said:
and it clears everything i guess once you hook the remote control up to it?

Yes it does, not by mutch but it does. You will want to ensure that the remote wire can't get tangled in the fan. :Wow1:

P

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
When I was first instructed on the use of a winch I was told to always raise the hood of the vehicle during winching. The hood would then serve as a shield if the cable snapped. Your set-up with the contol box under the hood would actually force this practice which is not always the easiest thing to do.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
In cab control

mcvickoffroad said:
When I was first instructed on the use of a winch I was told to always raise the hood of the vehicle during winching. The hood would then serve as a shield if the cable snapped. Your set-up with the contol box under the hood would actually force this practice which is not always the easiest thing to do.

Excellent point, having the hood up is an excellent practice, but not always easy or possible in some situations as you mentionned. I have also added an In Cab Winch Controller as another alternative.

P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner