Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Scott Brady

Founder
robert said:
Certainly not trying to sound critical because I think it's a beautiful setup, just wondering out loud here, I think I would have put the faucet closer to the shower/further from the electrical connections. I'd also be worried about snapping it off (or more likely having some wanker yank it- just had some jerk break my water inlet cover on the VW off recently :mad:). Is there maybe a way to unscrew it when you don't need it?

Looking good though.

Good point, and it was certainly an item of consideration when I layed out the platform. The main reason for the location is so that I can use a wash basin on the tailgate. The faucet swivels 360 degrees and also pushes down flush with the platform (to help guard agains wankers :) )

robert

Expedition Leader
OK, that's cool- I've been looking for a faucet that I could move out of the way. Where did you get it and do you have any closer photos of it?

I've been using one of the Coleman battery powered showers, it works pretty well and the foot switch is kinda handy for when your hands have fish guts etc on them. Mmmm, trout ;)

I figured the location had to do with the proximity to the tailgate.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
expeditionswest said:
As promised, here is the monitor installed and functioning. The camera has an excellent field of view, from just a few feet behind the truck to infinity. The daytime performance of the screen is better than I expected.

xenarc_monitor.JPG

I remember you contemplating JB Weld or actually welding some tabs to mount this. What was the outcome? How'd you mount it? What's it wired to?

Scott Brady

Founder
Mlachica said:
I remember you contemplating JB Weld or actually welding some tabs to mount this. What was the outcome? How'd you mount it? What's it wired to?

Well, I got lucky and was able to modify the Xenarc mount to use in place of the overhead lights and mirror. It was a very easy install (considering the custom nature). I have pictures somewhere, if you need them :)

Scott Brady

Founder
Cooking

Well, since the basic structure of the truck is finished (well, kind of), I am working on the support systems, which will improve camp life.

One of the first projects is to have a fully integrated kitchen, with stove, fuel tank, preparation area and basin.

The first step of this is an ultra high quality stove:
DSCF1530.JPG

DSCF1531.JPG

This is the Cook Partner, which is a HD outfitter stove made in Idaho. The stove is available (though not in a three burner, which is custom) from Adventure Trailers. I also have a 3lb propane cylinder and mounting strap.

The stove is going to be mounted under the platform and slide out on sealed, 110% slides. It will slide out on the hinge side of the tailgate.

More coming soon as the install begins :)

blupaddler

Conspirator
Scott,

Is that yours the three burner? Or are you going to go with a more conventional approach, and stay with a two burner?

And if you are planning on going three burner, what factors lead you to that decision?

Or, am I getting ahead of myself.

BTW...looks really nice. I take it this means no to the Brunton model?

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey Rob,

Yes, that is my three burner, which allows for full iron chef action while in camp.

Actually, I really enjoy camp cooking, and would like the extra cook-top space and at no real extra storage loss due to the fact the stove slides back into the unused area below the platform.

And you are correct, no Brunton. Seeing the Cook Partner was love at first sight :chowtime:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Wow, you're gonna get yo' grub on :eatchicke

That looks saaawwweeet:exclaim: It appears to be very sturdy.

Where's the gas input on the stove itself? I see the hose... I plan on having a drop down table behind my rear swing gate and where the gas line is installed is kind of an issue.

The stove is going to be mounted under the platform and slide out on sealed, 110% slides.

What are 110% slides? They slide out beyond full extension? Or 110 pound slides??

P.S. Can you send me those pics on your xenarc whenever you get a chance? :ylsmoke:

doublej

with that screen do you think it would be possible to mount the screen with an adaptor plate of some sort to where the overhead could still be mounted - just back more?

hope that makes sence - sure doesnt sound right. thanks

Ramdough

Adventurer
Hey Scott,

(I posted this to another forum to you, but I thought here would be a better place to ask)

As always, nice setup! :bowdown:

I am asuming that the 30 gallons is both drinking and wash water, right?

How do keep the water potable? Any bad plastic taste?

Do you carry the Jerry cans still as backup?

How do you fill th tank? Can you fill with a funnel?

Sorry for all of the questions, just curious about your designs.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Ramdough said:
I am asuming that the 30 gallons is both drinking and wash water, right?

Yes, it is used for all

Ramdough said:
How do keep the water potable? Any bad plastic taste?

I clean the tank out between trips and always add water treatment and fill from the tap to provide chlorine to the system every so often.

Ramdough said:
Do you carry the Jerry cans still as backup?

No, though I do always carry one gallon in the fridge. I am considering an MSR bag as a back-up

Ramdough said:
How do you fill th tank? Can you fill with a funnel?

The tank fill is connected to a standard RV fill plate with female home fitting. I also carry a funnel. :beer:

Scott Brady

Founder
So what is next?

Rear suspension:

New springs (11 leaf), longer shackles and remote res. race shocks. The system will include the new Baja bushings from Deaver in the spring eyes. I have all but decided against airbags, but still have some research to finalize the opinion.

New Tires and Wheels:

I am going to have two sets of tires and wheels for the truck. The current BFG MT/KM's on American Racing steel wheels for mud and technical trails, and then an aluminum set with a more tame tire for everything else.

I have 5 of these in my garage right now:
b3985.jpg

Now I need to decide on the tire. I want better road manners and a good all-terrain tread. The research begins.

Navigation and Communication:

New GPS, Car PC and Sat phone.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
expeditionswest said:
So what is next?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rear suspension:

New springs (11 leaf), longer shackles and remote res. race shocks.

So are you getting some sag/droop in the rear with your 10 leaf pack? You should be able to carry some serious weight with 11!!
:bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven