Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Ramdough

Adventurer
Thanks Scott,

BTW:

I once looked into air shocks as an added spring. I looked at the Gabriel Hijacker shock.

You can pump them up suposedly..... i just did not find the travel I wanted and I did not want to make a dual shock setup.

Another cool option wuld be to put an air piston parallel to your racing shocks, but that would be expensive too.

These are just crazy ideas...I figure that if anyone here can make that work, you could.

Willman

expeditionswest said:
Rear suspension:

New springs (11 leaf), longer shackles and remote res. race shocks. The system will include the new Baja bushings from Deaver in the spring eyes. I have all but decided against airbags, but still have some research to finalize the opinion.

New Tires and Wheels:

I am going to have two sets of tires and wheels for the truck. The current BFG MT/KM's on American Racing steel wheels for mud and technical trails, and then an aluminum set with a more tame tire for everything else.

I have 5 of these in my garage right now:
b3985.jpg

Now I need to decide on the tire. I want better road manners and a good all-terrain tread. The research begins.

Navigation and Communication:

New GPS, Car PC and Sat phone.

Bump........PM sent!!!!! :wavey:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I like those wheels very much - :box: I have used the Bridgestone Revos with great pleasure for road tires and some light trails

Air Bags - after exhaustive search and reads on the airbags - I am going to try and avoid adding another suspension technologie on the Tacoma that has the potential of failure on the trails...

As I have suggested before just buy two of everything and send me the bill :D

S

Scenic WonderRunner

expeditionswest said:
Rear suspension:

New springs (11 leaf), longer shackles and remote res. race shocks. The system will include the new Baja bushings from Deaver in the spring eyes. I have all but decided against airbags, but still have some research to finalize the opinion.

New Tires and Wheels:

I am going to have two sets of tires and wheels for the truck. The current BFG MT/KM's on American Racing steel wheels for mud and technical trails, and then an aluminum set with a more tame tire for everything else.

I have 5 of these in my garage right now:
b3985.jpg

Now I need to decide on the tire. I want better road manners and a good all-terrain tread. The research begins.

Navigation and Communication:

New GPS, Car PC and Sat phone.

NOW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

IS ONE SEXY WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......;)

I've been thinking of getting a second set of wheels/tires for my 4Runner......

In 32x10.50x15

With more aggresive tread.

For the more difficult/rocky areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

4WheelToys

Battery Tray

Your rig looks great and highly functional. I really like the tool box/electrical concept. I might take a similar route myself. Where did you get the battery tray and mount from? I haven't seen that one before.

expeditionswest said:
Tool box update:

I have the optima battery installed-
DSCF1044.JPG

S

Scenic WonderRunner

The $200 stove is real nice....

But!......

The average 4x4 dude is NOT going to want to spend $200 on a stove!

I'm real happy with my several $5.00 old style Coleman white gas pump stoves that I have found at my local garage sales!......made new friends too!....and they serve me very well!

....and they bring back good memories!

2 burner..........
campingsurvival_1896_38933509

3 burner..........
B0000BVWT6.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Brady

Founder
The battery hold-down is from 4Wheelers Supply in Phoenix. A very stout unit.

http://www.4wheelers.com/

Regarding the stove: I spend about 100 days a year outdoors, an environment the Colmans have not held up in. After going through two of them, it was time for a better solution :camping:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
expeditionswest said:
Regarding the stove: I spend about 100 days a year outdoors, an environment the Colmans have not held up in. After going through two of them, it was time for a better solution :camping:

I dig the stove, Scott. We also use a 3 burner stove, which is nice even for just the two of us and indispensible for group cooking. But I guess I've had better luck with Coleman stoves than you. Our 3 burner is a model 426B, probably mid 1970s manufacture, which I bought used from a local river outfitter a few years ago (i.e. 20 years of outfitter service) and it's been faithful for us. But we split time between it and a 2 burner 425E, so it probably only sees roughly 20 or so days a year. Since we also spend recreation time either hitting huts (most of them have wood stoves and/or propane burners) or living out of a backpack, it gets plenty of days off.

I personally like the idea of not carrying a propane tank and the flexibility of using gasoline in the stove or even the white gas in the truck (white gas is just naptha, so it works great to clean the fuel system if I get bad gas). Actually most fuel system cleaners are 20% naptha and 80% kerosene, anyway.

BTW, a new Coleman Model 428 3 burner stove is about $125, so the savings over Scott's isn't huge (although garage sales and swap meets net some great deals, our 426B cost $20 and came with a nice cast iron gridle that fits over all 3 burners). I do think that since the 426/428 was designed for outfitters, it's built somewhat more rugged. At least ours is plenty heavy. Nothing like a 24"x12" slab of cast iron, though!

Scott Brady

Founder
DaveInDenver said:
But I guess I've had better luck with Coleman stoves than you. Our 3 burner is a model 426B, probably mid 1970s manufacture, which I bought used from a local river outfitter a few years ago (i.e. 20 years of outfitter service) and it's been faithful for us.

I have not tried that model. Both of mine were propane, the first being a little heavier duty, and the second being thin and light. Rust was the issue with both, in addition to the connectors failing several times.

I am ok with propane, as I use it for cooking and as a tent heater. But, there is certainly a strong argument to using a liquid tank stove like you do. I know Chris (BajaTaco) has had great success with his little Coleman (at least I think thats what it is).

4WheelToys

Battery Tray

Thanks for the link. Do you think this would fit in the stock tacoma battery location (bolted down to the fender)? Did this come as a kit (tray, hold-down, hardware)? If possible, could you tell me the inside dimensions of the tray?

expeditionswest said:
The battery hold-down is from 4Wheelers Supply in Phoenix. A very stout unit.

http://www.4wheelers.com/

Scott Brady

Founder
4WheelToys said:
Thanks for the link. Do you think this would fit in the stock tacoma battery location (bolted down to the fender)? Did this come as a kit (tray, hold-down, hardware)? If possible, could you tell me the inside dimensions of the tray?

Good question. The ID is only made for an Optima. There is a really good chance the tray will work in the stock location, bolted through the fender.

It came as a complete kit :)

4WheelToys

Battery Tray

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call.

expeditionswest said:
Good question. The ID is only made for an Optima. There is a really good chance the tray will work in the stock location, bolted through the fender.

It came as a complete kit :)

lagej

mileage

What was your mileage with the tires before you replaced the gears and what is it now? Also what are your RPM's in 4th with the new gears?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven