Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Scott Brady

Founder
Before the gearing, I would average in the high 13's and low 14's for mileage. Now, below 65mph, I can squeeze out 17. Most tanks average high 15's. That is because overdrive and the lockout are now usable again.

At 70mph I run 2,700 rpm with the 5.29's

shawkins

Adventurer
What calculator did you use for your gearing? Its posted on the first page, but I couldnt find where you got the calculator from.

Thanks

Scott Brady

Founder
Lighting

I have a few projects for the truck over the next month or so in preparation for the Arctic Expedition.

Lighting:

I have a "few" lights coming:

HID Driving (2 total)
900_HID.jpg

Features: HID Light Intensity Combined with IPF Optics
35W High Intensity Discharge Bulb Provides Light
Output Equivalent to 130W
Polished, Hardened Glass Lens
Multi-Faceted, Double Coated Metal Reflector
Internal Gussets for Strength
Stainless Steel Rivets & Hardware
Multi Directional Mounting System
Dimensions: 8.5"H x 7.5"W x 6.5"D

Complete Kit Includes: 2 Lights with Integrated Ballasts & Weatherproof
Connectors
Complete Snap Together Wiring Loom & Solid-
State Module
Wireless, Remote Control Switch
Removable Amber Covers

Spots (4 total)
IPF 900XS
IPF_900xs.jpg

Features: Available in spot or driving beam
Tough, heavy gauge steel body
Submersible to 11.8” for up to two minutes
Advanced heatproof resin reflector, incorporating water and dust resistant breather
Reflector surface and design optimised to bulb design for ultimate performance
Hardened glass lens
Advanced IPF 65W H9 halogen bulb with water and dust seal for maximum life and performance
Reinforced multi directional mounting base
Waterproof connectors on bulb lead and loom connection

Round 8.5"H x 8"W x 4.5"D

Complete Kit Includes: 2 lights
Complete snap together wiring loom & relay
Mouse style LED switch
Robust black brush guards

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
woah, everywhere you go it will be :sunny: courtesy of you that is...

I've been thinking of doing something similar utilizing the not so common factory DC roof rack. The plan is really simple and allows the lights to fold back by sliding the rear cross bar back.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Snow and Ice Tires

Now that I have the set of American Racing Chamber wheels, I am searching for a set of tires. Their main performance requirements are ice (as in frozen lakes and rivers), wet roads and packed snow. Any deep snow will be addressed with chains.

I have been discussing the specifications with Michelin and getting quite the education, mostly due to how rubber reacts to cold temperature. This is refered to as low glass transition tempurature.

Here are some early contenders.

Extreme Ice performance
Michelin X-Ice 275/70 R16
latitude_xice_large.jpg

Michelin LTX M/S 285/75 R16
ltx_ms_large.jpg

BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A 285/75 R16 w extra grooving. Concern is compound.

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Michelin LTX M/S

expeditionswest said:
Their main performance requirements are ice (as in frozen lakes and rivers), wet roads and packed snow.

Michelin LTX M/S 285/75 R16
ltx_ms_large.jpg

Scott,
I've owned a set of Michelin LTX M/S in 31x10.5 R15. As you know, I live in Eastern Canada and we deal with snow 4 to 6 months of the year. On a stock Tacoma, nothing in the bed, I could hardly get moving with these tires without using 4WD. These tires were not new, I’ll guess % 50 thread depth. I sold the tires, bought a set of steel wheels and studded winter tires. Around here the only tires to consider are studded winter tires. The main reason is that our climate typically has you drive through packed snow, black ice, slush, rain then bare pavement all in one trip. In my case that would describe my typical drive to work during winter (typically 60 miles round).
I'm not sure that studded winter tires would suit your application especially if you will be driving on paved roads any significant amount during your expedition mainly due to the drawbacks of how studded tires react on pavement. They typically increase your stopping distance on dry pavement.
The Michelin LTX M/S tires were excellent on paved roads (quiet, balance well and excellent thread wear), but on anything else they lost traction too easily in my opinion.

I can’t speak from personal experience, but one of my friends purchased a set of the Michelin Extreme Ice tires and loved how they worked in all winter driving conditions. They were on a Mazda 5. I head that another good choice is the Bridgestone Blizzak line of tires. Nothing but good comments on these, again they were on a car.

Just my 2 cents!
Cheers :beer: ,
P

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I hope you went ahaead and ordered two of everything and billed me :elkgrin:

I look forward to seeing the upgrades in person, and getting your hit on the tires :wavey:

articulate

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
To support the lighting, I am either going to build a roof rack (very low profile) or something like this:

SEMA_2004%20121_jpg.jpg
Does that contraption swing up to provide light in front of the truck? That's a nice idea to have the lights/rack below the cab until you actually need them up in the air. Or is that meant to fire the light behind the vehicle?

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I've seen that light setup on several competition rigs from Oz. Most are just mounted high and protected with that loop but many are made to swing up to decrease resistance on high speed runs where the lights aren't needed.

We have a guy that's built something similar to that on NOR but it's mounted to the front part of his Frontier Crew Cab.

Cool design!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven