Expeditions West 2004 Tacoma

Scott Brady

Founder
p1michaud said:
I'm also currious why you want to run such a large tire? Other than already having the tires.

Bling... :p

And I am running 5.29 gears, so anything smaller than a true 33 will drop cruising speeds below 70mph. They are actually the same diameter as the 255/85 R16 I am running now, just one inch wider (which is the fitment problem, along with chain clearance). Oh, and that I have seven matching sets of tire and chamber wheels.

Edit: And one more reason. I want to test out some 35x10.5's for fun, which will require the same amount of customization to fit a 34" tire with chains.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
wow that's quite an extensive list :punk03:

What kind of rad hoses do you plan on using? Have you seen the lifetime warranty silicone one's?

Will your tire fitment include grinding and welding?

And I am very pleased with my perfectswitch battery isolator. To say the least, it's very efficient and it's solid state.

Here's my writeup

Scott Brady

Founder
Mlachica said:
wow that's quite an extensive list :punk03:

Yeah :yikes:

Mlachica said:
What kind of rad hoses do you plan on using? Have you seen the lifetime warranty silicone one's?

Tell me more please

Mlachica said:
Will your tire fitment include grinding and welding?

Yes, and lots of it, along with some unique flare mods or maybe even new flares. Moving/reworking the washer fluid res. too along with trimming the bumper.

Mlachica said:
And I am very pleased with my perfectswitch battery isolator. To say the least, it's very efficient and it's solid state.

I need to look into this.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Tell me more please

I will second the WOW squad. :punk03: Rock on mod man!

Scott, NAPA, and I'm guessing other places as well, sell green silicone hoses for many applications, but radiator and heating hoses are the standard appliation. I think Gates Rubber is the manufacturer. They remain flexible at all temps, can handle huge amounts of pressure and are just plain cool.

The downsides is they are a little more expensive than standard hoses and I have never seen application specific fits, you just buy the diameter and length you need and cut to fit. Because the hoses are so flexible they will easily bend around parts. This is really a commerical product so they can be hard to find, and many stores that have them don't actually know it, so you have to ask around.

EDIT: Well a quick Google search for "silicone radiator hose" reveals that much has changed in the last couple years and there are now several companies both making and selling them including application specific hoses.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Damn, I don't think you've missed any little detail there Scott! I've always wondered, do you have a well equipped shop where you do all your work on the vehicles or do you solicit help from shops for all of these mods?

Scott Brady

Founder
I do every modification myself (or with the help of friends, like BajaTaco) and in my garage. I can do just about everything.

Only one mechanic has ever touched my truck, and that was the master gear installer at 4wheeler Supply when they installed the 5.29's and front ARB.

I do all of the welding, installation, wiring, maintenance and service. In my mind, I MUST be able to service every system myself, and then you know it was done right too.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
expeditionswest said:
I do every modification myself (or with the help of friends, like BajaTaco) and in my garage. I can do just about everything.

Only one mechanic has ever touched my truck, and that was the master gear installer at 4wheeler Supply when they installed the 5.29's and front ARB.

I do all of the welding, installation, wiring, maintenance and service. In my mind, I MUST be able to service every system myself, and then you know it was done right too.

I agree with you about needing to know how to service everything. Especially with the places you take your rig. We should start a shop thread here to get looks at the workspaces everyone has. I bet it would be as interesting as the rig threads really. That's something I'm really lacking now, is a good work area to service my truck/cars. I'm also wanting to learn some welding skills in the near future.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Oh great idea. But you know what we will learn is what can be done with limited space more then anything else. I have traditionally built most of my hotrods over theyears in my 2 car garage like everyone olse. I am fortunate to have acces to a great shop that my buddy owns. It would rival the best professional fabrication shops as far as space and tools available. That is where alot of my tacoma has been done. although the cab swap will most likely be done in my garage.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Nice mod list Scott. :bowdown: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as you know. From your list, these are the things I'll be doing as well as time and money permits.

Brakes- All new brake system and complete fluid flush. Looking at the Wheelers Off-Road kit, TLC kit and maybe the "Blake" system. New pads as well.

TRD Trans. Cooler- We will be pulling the Chaser at least part way

New High Output Alternator. Not settled on solution yet, but at least 180 amps. Original carried as spare.

New battery isolation solution

New GPS

New seats with heating elements

Interior lighting solutions (In the back of the truck actually)

Camera storage and mounting: (2) Canon DSLR and HD video gear

Battery management and charging

Gear loft system (for light items like jackets, etc.)

Remove stock battery and install group 31 lifeline

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
expeditionswest said:
Drivetrain:

Brakes- All new brake system and complete fluid flush. Looking at the Wheelers Off-Road kit, TLC kit and maybe the "Blake" system. New pads as well.

BogusBlake -- you'd better get your idea patented before Toyota (or Scott) does!! :hehe:

Scott -- that's an awesome list of mods. Too much inspiration for most of us Tacoma owners to even begin to comprehend! You sure are going to be busy over the next several weeks.
:Mechanic:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Here is a list of phase one of the Arctic Mods: They start tomorrow.

Tires and Wheels:

Fitment of 295/75's- They work on the street, but major mods are needed to fit them for chains and the trail. Bumper work, flare work and firewall modifications to start with.

Chains- I am working with a few companies on chain ideas, including a new line from Thule. Not many options bigger than a 285/75.

Drivetrain:

Coil-Overs- Install new custom DR's. Custom valving and high corrosion resistant plating.

Fluids- Prototype Mobil 1 synthetic fluids in the diffs, tcase and trans. 0 W30 in the engine

Breather relocation- Something I just need to do.

Engine / Engine Compartment:

Radiator cover

TRD Trans. Cooler- We will be pulling the Chaser at least part way

All new fluids for PS and Radiator (prototype rad. fluid)

All new belts and hoses

New High Output Alternator. Not settled on solution yet, but at least 180 amps. Original carried as spare.

New battery isolation solution

Towing package fan clutch

Battery heating pad

Engine oil pan silicon heating pad

Front mount camera

Cab

New GPS

Install RAM mount toughdock system (new sponsor) to mount Panasonic Toughbook

Rugged back-up solution

Sirius Radio

Ipod integration

New seats with heating elements

remove fridge and drawer system (this solution will be redesigned after the Arctic for more storage and less "gaps" for stuff to fall through.

design storage configuration that will allow for full passenger seat recline and in-cab cooking and coffee preparation along with soft and secure gear storage.

Footwell liners

Interior lighting solutions

In-cab camera mounting

Camera storage and mounting: (2) Canon DSLR and HD video gear

Battery management and charging

Gear loft system (for light items like jackets, etc.)

Tool Box and under tent storage

Remove blue top and install group 31 lifeline

Remove Extreme Aire and install Extreme Aire Magnum and tank (running air tools)

Remove water tank and hot water heater (this will all be reconfigured post Arctic)

Storage solutions: Stormcase hard cases and Thule soft bags, all color coded and labeled

Possible unleaded fired water heater for engine pre-heat and hot water

Spares

Other

Repair tent solution (cold weather isolation in the event of vehicle repair or tire repair)

Install 295/75's on trailer (with matching Chamber Wheels)

Trailer brake wiring

New Trailer shocks (HP RS9000's)

Trailer storage configuration, possible configuration as storm shelter.

All for now...

:pROFSheriffHL:

I can't believe I missed this! now that is a list of stuff to do scott. Between that and your trips you have planed how do you plan to pay the bills LOL!

Mlachica

silicone radiator hoses

www.brxproducts.com

Currently I'm forbidden from this site while at work so I can't see if they have one's for our application.

On another note I hear those silicone wipers work the best, and last a lot longer than your standard wipers. Do you agree?

Mlachica

When you mentioned storage for your camera's, do you mean packed away until you arrive at your destination or for quick access?

I'd like to mount something like a tripod head that I can snap my camera into for a quick release while traversing. With some added support/protection I think it would be a cool way to ensure you don't miss that photo op.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater