Expeditions West: (JK) XV-JP Announcement Thread

Willman

Rain Fly???

Another question for ya Scott..........

earthroamerJK.jpg

In the above picture.......Does the Tent have a rain fly?....If so...Does it just attach like the Eezi-Awn style so you don't always have to take it off and on??

I'm pumped for you Scott.....You have once again have a sweet rig that looks to be a great ExPo rig like your Tacoma!

:camping:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Scott first congrats on the new rig. Toys of this stature are always exciting! I have a few questions reguarding the platform. My first thought is one that I am sure you have thought about but for my own insight how does the jeeps composite shell handle say a roll over? has it been tested? What means are used to fasten the shell to the jeep? Also in a remote roll over are you planning to carry some composite repair material incase of a shell puncture or other structural failure from extreme flex, tree limbs etc? Composite materials can be decievingly strong I know because of my background in composite construction. However like all things finding the balance of solid and foam core laminating is something that takes alot of trial and error on somethng as wild as this.

I know E.R. did an 8k run with one of these last year. What if any improvements are being made now from the data they learned after that trip. I'm sure the original rig was completely torn apart and inspected down to the last fastner.

Willman

Willman said:
Another question for ya Scott..........

earthroamerJK.jpg

In the above picture.......Does the Tent have a rain fly?....If so...Does it just attach like the Eezi-Awn style so you don't always have to take it off and on??

I'm pumped for you Scott.....You have once again have a sweet rig that looks to be a great ExPo rig like your Tacoma!

:camping:

Bump!

:snorkel:

haven

Expedition Leader
I believe the XV-JP tent has a separate rain fly the attaches outside, and a cold weather kit for added insulation that attaches on the inside.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Kermit said:
Why a Jeep Earthroamer over say, something like a Sportsmobile? I ask because they are roughly the same price, unless ER is giving you smoking deal.

It would seem to me it would be nice to have the extra room and the hard top of the SMB over the Jeep. By me recently checking out Four Wheel Campers, and how tight they are, I can only imagine how tight/cramped the Jeep would be.

I only skimmed over the thread, is the Jeep diesel? If not, then how is getting petrol down there. I would think diesel is more readily available.

It is still cool none-the-less.

thats kinda what i wonder, too.

i don't think it woulda been my choice, but its an interesting exercise, i guess.

Scott Brady

Founder
Kermit said:
Why a Jeep Earthroamer over say, something like a Sportsmobile? I ask because they are roughly the same price, unless ER is giving you smoking deal.

I spent nearly two months with a SMB, so I am intimate with the liveability, driveability and performance of both platforms. The SMB is an excellent vehicle, but quite different than the XV-JP. It is as simple as the XV-JP has Rubicon Trail level performance. My trip plans include extremely technical terrain and unknown terrain variables, including some deep mud and jungle tracks in South and Central America, so just like with my Tacoma, I am still favoring capability over comfort.

In reality, the living space between the two are pretty much the same. The SMB has a front swiveling captains chair, which is awesome, and that is a notable difference. The XV-JP has a 9' tent height and the bed is open and available once set-up, while with the SMB, you either sit down low, under the bed, or loft one of the beg segments up out of the way for full stand-up height. The SMB has a great deal more gear storage. The XV-JP has a more comfortable and roomy bed. The XV-JP has a larger fridge ;)

It is like anything else, a compromise. The SMB has (much) better storage space and a little more living area. The XV-JP is the the ultimate in trail performance for a camper.

Both are high-quality offering from great companies.

Scott Brady

Founder
Kermit said:
So you can sleep two comfortably on that bench seat?

Two - not at the present time in the production product. I have designed a system to sleep two using the bench cushions, as there are certainly times when you do not want to be advertising "I AM CAMPING", or in extreme wind. Being in South America, we must plan for the worst. ER is considering a factory option to accomplish the same.

I have slept comfortably on the rear bench already.

Kermit said:
I still find it hard to believe that the ER and the SMB has the same living space...I want numbers man! :p

Well, a SMB can be configured in many ways, so I am only comparing the RB50 layout. I was specific that the rotating captain chair makes a huge difference on the SMB. Other than that, Stephanie and my experience is that they are more similar than different in the living space category. Remember, the bed in the SMB is above the living area, while the bed in the XV-JP is aft of the living area, so there is no overlap in space use or configuration. I have nearly 40 nights and over 60 days in a SMB, so the sense of space and comfort and comparison between the two are quite familiar to Stephanie and I. As I mentioned in the post above, the SMB is roomier and the rotating captain chair is amazing for improving living space. I just think that people have a hard time visualizing living in the back of a Wrangler. So, people need to see it, and stand up in it to fully appreciate what ER has accomplished. A few on this board have, so I am sure they can comment.

Prescott is not that far from you, and is quite nice this time of year Kermit. Come on up and check it out for yourself...

Scott Brady

Founder
Kermit said:
Can't you also sleep on the fold down bench in the SMB? Like in my Westy?

It depends on how it is configured. In the RB50 you have a huge lower sleeping area when the bench is pulled flat, but it requires removing everything from the upper/rear storage area. Not a big deal, but there is some set-up involved. Some of the isle models have an easy to pull out bench/couch, but the isle models cost you storage volume.

Are you/did you buy a SMB Kermit?

Clutch

<---Pass
expeditionswest said:
Are you/did you buy a SMB Kermit?

Thanks for the info.

I wish I could buy a SMB.

We are considering getting a 4WD van in the future, and I'll do the build myself. One of my friends has just a plain 4WD van, and I can see the potential in that setup for our needs. Alice is into it too...(that is half the battle, eh?) I was showing her their website, and she was very into them, even the price was reasonable to her. It would be like our "second home". So instead of buying a cabin in the woods...it might just be a SMB or something similar.

I was going down the Four Wheel Camper route, but, I have been on this van kick lately. You know how it goes...so many options out there. I just don't know if I can buy another vehicle that isn't a Toyota... I was thinking a new Tundra with a FWC...who knows what will happen, I'll cross that road when it comes..it is a while down the road.

Last edited:

ThomD

Explorer
Scott,

Can you talk a bit about the interior shower setup? I've seen the little drain pan in the floor, but I can't picture actually using it.

-t

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk