Expeditions West: (JK) XV-JP Announcement Thread

nwoods

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
5. Stephanie is sold on the shower and toilet in the vehicle, along with a heater, etc. That is a fair trade to have the woman I love along.

Amen brother!

Arivalsend

Adventurer
It's official

Well the cat is out of the bag. By the number of posts, it has been out for some time. Congrats on the new rig! It was a pleasure to reference your Tacoma build; the detail and hard work put into it were always evident. Thanks for taking the time and energy to provide the rest of us with some perspective on the development of these vehicles. I will certainly be following this one and while I may not be able to afford such a build myself I always enjoy them in proxy. The rest of us can dream right:ylsmoke: Good luck on it.

jim65wagon

expeditionswest said:
:
Think of this like an evolution. The Trooper was the proof of concept and the Tacoma is version 1.0. We learned a few things along the way, principally related to comfort. As we are extending out trips even longer now, comfort and an "escape" from wet/cold weather has led us to look for an enclosed camper. The XV-JP will be version 2.0, and I promise I will share all of our experiences, good and bad with that too.

See, this just makes me curiouser and curiouser! You think 2 platforms ahead, version 1.0 is the Tacoma, version 2.0 is the XV-JP; so just what are versions 3.0 and 4.0 going to be and where in the world are they taking the two of you?!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
jim65wagon said:
See, this just makes me curiouser and curiouser! You think 2 platforms ahead, version 1.0 is the Tacoma, version 2.0 is the XV-JP; so just what are versions 3.0 and 4.0 going to be and where in the world are they taking the two of you?!

I believe Mr. Brady is working on the Flux Capacitor for the next rig....:Wow1:

-H-

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I don't know why anyone is worried about the cost of your new ride. I mean if you were in the construction business and bought a $150,000 dollar front end loader I supposed people on your Construction Portal Forum would be complaining about you buying a Caterpillar instead of Komatsu. To my understanding the new XV-JK is in the same vien, a business investment for your chosen career and an awesome business deprecation. I would be so lucky as to have that write off.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
jim65wagon said:

As long as Scott and Stephanie are going to be cooped up in the XV, I bet that version 3.0 has room for baby seats.:av-7:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Haggis said:
...an awesome business deprecation. I would be so lucky as to have that write off.

Good point! Definately need to get that weight up over 6,000 lbs then!

madizell

Explorer
nwoods said:
Good point! Definately need to get that weight up over 6,000 lbs then!

Wouldn't make any difference. IRS goes by manufacturers GVWR, not actual built weight or capacity as modified. Nor does it really matter from a tax perspective, and I suspect that is not one of the selection criteria.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Wow, this thread is already 19 pages long and I haven't posted up yet. As Scott mentioned, we were in lock-down with Spring issue editing. I'm so happy to see my buddy excited about another new vehicle project, and most importantly, another new epic adventure. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I think the XV-JP is revolutionary here in North America, considering it is a professionally built and manufactured production vehicle that combines advanced terrain capability with a completely self-contained living space. I say revolutionary because the bottom line here is the strength of the platform (JK) combined with very reasonable overall dimensions that are compact when you consider all of the systems and amenities you get. Until you actually visit ER and see for yourself their dedication to quality and innovation (right down to the last fastener), it's easy to underestimate the value of their products. After spending time with the XV-JP on the Rubicon trail, and seeing Bill Swails of ER living out of it, I can't think of a more perfect vehicle for Scott and Stephanie's travel plans and goals.

Congratulations Scott! :beer:

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
Curious on build plans - Suspension, axles, AiRock, performance ect.

Maybe one of Brad Kilby's evap relocation kits so you can move muffler next to t-case & add a Aux tank on its place

Scott Brady

Founder
SinCityFJC said:
Maybe one of Brad Kilby's evap relocation kits so you can move muffler next to t-case & add a Aux tank on its place

You are good ;)

Already done... Aux. in the works.

I know you all are going to hate me saying this, but the build-up will be detailed first in Overland Journal, starting in the next few issues.

I promise to post a few teasers here (or in a new thread)

VikingVince

Explorer
saltamontes said:
130k+ and then another 20k for an after market CRD addition?

Scott never (maybe almost never) pays retail for anything on his builds!!...lol...I don't really know, I'm just having fun! :friday: ...it's called sponsorship...part of his marketing and business genius/acumen!
Remember every aspect of this XV-JP from the build to the trips is gonna be featured in OJ for the next two years...that's lot of publicity for ER...I say WAY TO GO!!!...I hope Scott got it for cost! :D
After camping in a Flippac for the last 3 years, I say "inside" living is the way to go...you've got trail capability, amenities, and keeping one's wife/partner a happy camper is one smart choice...........................:rolleyes:

But for the average person paying retail, you have a point. A modified Tacoma with a Flippac and building all the same amenities into the bed would essentially be the same vehicle as the JP, for considerably less money and even a bit more space.

Last edited:

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
You are good ;)

Already done... Aux. in the works.

I know you all are going to hate me saying this, but the build-up will be detailed first in Overland Journal, starting in the next few issues.

I promise to post a few teasers here (or in a new thread)

Good thing I subscribe to OJ so I can watch your build up:drool:

Check with guys @ http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/airock/

Could be some great benefits of AiRock on a ER JK - adj. ride hight, auto leveling, better stability off-camber ect.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online