Expeditions West: (JK) XV-JP Announcement Thread

Scott Brady

Founder
saltamontes said:
i would be thinking Unimog at those prices.

And that is the key to your post, what YOU would be thinking. Do not think for a moment that I have not considered every available platform for the next two years. I do not build my trucks for anyone else but Stephanie and I. I buy and build what I like, based on the specification for the trips I have planned for the 2-3 years after the build. The XV-JP is exactly what I want to buy, own and drive for the next few years.

First, I pick WHERE I want to travel, then I build a vehicle that will get me to all of the places I wish to visit. I still prefer extremely challenging overland routes, so that requires a compact, highly capable platform. I want to be able to drive the Dusy Ershim, Applegate, Mission Santa Maria and a few other technical routes with this vehicle.

saltamontes said:
sorry, not on the bandwagon w/ this one.

You don't need to be... Build what you like. Most of the people in this thread are just happy for me, for the choice that I made. Not necessarily that they would make the same choice

saltamontes said:
Way too much money for only moving a stove/sink/fridge inside a small shell.

How could you possible know that? The final specifications are not even public yet. Have you priced balsa core, composite shell construction, etc.

saltamontes said:
And you're going to also tow the AT?
For what? 2nd spare tire and gas?

I don't know for sure that I will be towing an AT. If our gear requirements require it, then we will.

The XV-JP will be fitted with an aux. tank, to allow a 400+ mile range.

saltamontes said:
also i would have waited at least till the end of this month when the '09 build sheets are out from jeep to see if the stock hemi or diesel is '09 or 2010.

You might wait, but I already know the answer to those questions, and no diesel or Hemi will be available within my build and travel schedule. I am perfectly happy with the V6. Of course I would prefer a CRD, but I want to go to South and Central America... The vehicle is 100% secondary to that.

Scott Brady

Founder
p1michaud said:
Scott,
Something just dawned on me while perusing our beloved Expediton Portal website. Are you going to update the loge to show the new rig in due time or is the trusty Tacoma going to continue to be a beacon of this great website? I prefer the Tacoma but I'm tainted! :sombrero:

I do plan on redesigning the ExPo logo at some point. It will no longer include my vehicle. It will just be a fun, cool logo for the site :)

The original logo was created in about 5-minutes... The next will have more thought and be less brand specific.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
expeditionswest said:
I do plan on redesigning the ExPo logo at some point. It will no longer include my vehicle. It will just be a fun, cool logo for the site :)

The original logo was created in about 5-minutes... The next will have more thought and be less brand specific.

I'll volunteer a Troopy image....:elkgrin:

-H-

Scott Brady

Founder
Hltoppr said:
I'll volunteer a Troopy image....:elkgrin:

-H-

Actually, that would be perfect :luxhello:

I was thinking something really classical and supremely functional as the vehicle. Troopy, FJ60, Doormobile or a cool Mog Camper (like the one Rob purchased).

lowenbrau

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Actually, that would be perfect :luxhello:

I was thinking something really classical and supremely functional as the vehicle. Troopy, FJ60, Doormobile or a cool Mog Camper (like the one Rob purchased).

70 series Troopie of course :victory:

saltamontes

Observer
I suppose that your status as founder of this site and publisher of the Overland Journal has led to a certain public celebrity and as such, your choice of something as seminally important as Expeditions West's next expo vehicle can expect public comment from those who feel somehow vested in your decision.

Seems like nearly everyone is only saying "congrats", "great job" , etc.
Apologies for being the contrarian here but objectively, $130,000 is a lot of money to be spending on a jeep.
No 2 ways about it. its a lot of money for anybody.
Before following the build itself i think many of us are interested in *why* you chose a ER JK over some of the other options that are of either similar or considerably lower price.

AEV had a concept poptop JK that would be great for 2 persons.
If one was willing to use a standard camp stove/kitchen/etc., it would be nearly functionally equivalent to the ER JK at a small fraction of the cost.
Why did you not chose an option such as this?

How about a JK and a roof-top tent?

Since expedition vehicles are such a large part of your professional and personal life, why did you decide to buy v. build like the SuperCamper folks?
That would have really been a thread to follow.

Cannot your current Tacoma be nearly as useful in a S. America expedition?
That would buy you 1 year for Jeep to put a stock hemi or CRD in the JK (and save 20k+)

Since the turtle expedition folks are now offering their tortuga for a similar price, was an American full-size-based camper (my composite shell camper was 23k new) or popup too big to consider?

How about a SMB?

Don't think I am the only one thinking Unimog, as recently as 1 year ago you yourself said:
"If I traveled just for personal experience (no business attached), I would use a Unimog. It fits my personality, performance expectations and needs perfectly."
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5377
What is it about the ER JK that changed your mind?

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
...I buy and build what I like, based on the specification for the trips I have planned for the 2-3 years after the build. The XV-JP is exactly what I want to buy, own and drive for the next few years.

Reality Check!

Hey guy, if you read above I think he already answered why he chose the earthroamer. Also, as acknowledged by Scott where you quoted him, there is a commercial interest.

Of course the tacoma would make to central america and back. But as far as Expeditions West and Overland Journal are concerned why not switch it up? A new vehicle develops a lot of interest (7K + thread views already). The JK is a hot new platform, if I had a similar business, it would be my choice. Why choose a unimog? Obviously it's awesome off-road but for the masses on this forum and overland journal readers it's as un-realistic as an M1A1 tank. Most would be more interested in another "Can you sleep in an FJ Cruiser" thread. How many coilovers would IKON sell for a unimog?

If you haven't noticed, readers emulate Scott's (and other's) builds and without question off-road manufacturers/vendors notice this and Sponsor (1) him and his build cost is reduced. Obviously, an owner of an Overlanding magazine would choose a build vehicle that is obtainable to it's readers.

It's really a win/win for everybody...

In all seriousness, congratulations on the awesome project. I will be following along both here and in the Overland Journal.

:smiley_drive:

(1) Sponsor - to give for free (or discounted) price to somebody for "repping" their gear.

DaveM

Explorer
ever notice how the guys with the most to say on a hot thread have nothing to say in their "Public Profile"? Always a big tip off to me.

Anyway, I see it like Ryan does... this is an evolution of the company and what Scott does. There's no tech story in taking the same old Taco on a 6 month trip to S. America. And a Unimog is as pointed out, not for everybody. But a build based on the new Jeep platform and a commercial expedition camper will get lots of reads and lots of emulation, just like the Taco did. Makes sense to me and I'm a diehard Toyota fan (I must admit to a smidgen of regret that the Taco is not the vehicle going). But it will be great to follow this build on the forum and hopefully in the magazine as well.

Scott Brady

Founder
saltamontes said:
Before following the build itself i think many of us are interested in *why* you chose a ER JK over some of the other options that are of either similar or considerably lower price.

That is a very fair question.

To answer that, I always start with this question:

Where do I want to travel for the next 2-3 years?

As I normally keep my vehicles about that long and usually before they hit 100k, I am often thinking 2-3 vehicle platforms into the future.

For the next few years, we plan on doing quite a few of the more popular North American overland routes, an extensive trip into South and Central America and a planned trek to Newfoundland and Labrador. I am also quite busy with the launch of Overland Journal and some other new ideas (coming soon), so my time to build a vehicle is limited. It is WAY more important to me that I actually go to South America than spend a bunch of time building a custom, one-off machine. In my consulting with aspiring travelers, they often spend so much time preparing and building custom vehicles that they never end up leaving :Wow1:

So, these are the major functional requirements and constraints:

1. I am leaving for SA in December, so the vehicle must be finished, tested, on display in SEMA and then in a container in mid-November.
2. We are going to live "in" this vehicle for nearly six months
3. We are planning some very intense driving routes through the Andes, the coast of Colombia, jungles of Nicaragua and Brazil and Guatemala. Serious technical unknowns, so maximum 4wd performance is required.
4. I have some other routes planned, like Mission SM, Dusy Ershim, etc., which limits the vehicles size.
5. Stephanie is sold on the shower and toilet in the vehicle, along with a heater, etc. That is a fair trade to have the woman I love along.
6. Unique, marketable vehicle from a branding perspective
7. New Platform for same reasons as above
8. Fun to drive and can be built to perform as well at 85 as .85 mph

saltamontes said:
AEV had a concept poptop JK that would be great for 2 persons. If one was willing to use a standard camp stove/kitchen/etc., it would be nearly functionally equivalent to the ER JK at a small fraction of the cost. Why did you not chose an option such as this?

AEV makes awesome vehicle, and I hope to own one someday. The concept above is back to a small tent and outside living. I could easily do that, but Stephanie asked for a few conveniences. The test with the Sportsmobile confirmed this, and she was a "happy camper". I have lived "around" my expedition vehicle for a few years now. I am ready to try living mostly "inside".

saltamontes said:
How about a JK and a roof-top tent?
That would also be an awesome set-up. With an AT as well. It comes back to trying it with a "camper".

Think of this like an evolution. The Trooper was the proof of concept and the Tacoma is version 1.0. We learned a few things along the way, principally related to comfort. As we are extending out trips even longer now, comfort and an "escape" from wet/cold weather has led us to look for an enclosed camper. The XV-JP will be version 2.0, and I promise I will share all of our experiences, good and bad with that too.

It takes NOTHING away from a roof tent or other options. In fact, I am also building our Discovery I project at the same time, which will use more traditional overlanding systems like a trailer, roof tent, etc. I am also quite excited about this set-up too.

saltamontes said:
Since expedition vehicles are such a large part of your professional and personal life, why did you decide to buy v. build like the SuperCamper folks?
That would have really been a thread to follow.

Well, in a sense I have built the XV-JP. I have been a part of the design process since it was just a drawing (and the JK was not even available yet). Many of the systems have my fingerprint on them. I really enjoy all of the people at EarthRoamer and genuinely believe in their company and product. It is extremely exciting to see companies like EarthRoamer, XPCamper, Global Xpedition Vehicles, Sportsmobile and 4WC be successful and grow. This is a hobby and lifestyle we all love. The more these companies are successful, the better it is for all of us.

Going with the XV-JP also saved me a BUNCH of time. My Tacoma took nearly two years to complete, from stock to final concept. I would rather be sitting on a beach somewhere with Stephanie, watching the sunset or grabbing my speargun... :suning:

saltamontes said:
Cannot your current Tacoma be nearly as useful in a S. America expedition?
That would buy you 1 year for Jeep to put a stock hemi or CRD in the JK (and save 20k+)

Yes, absolutely. I could (well, James, who owns it now) leave tomorrow in the Tacoma and travel around the world. It was just time for something new and different and with a camper ;)

saltamontes said:
Since the turtle expedition folks are now offering their tortuga for a similar price, was an American full-size-based camper (my composite shell camper was 23k new) or popup too big to consider?

The Tortuga camper is an awesome machine, and I consider Gary and Monika among my most respected friends. Their camper is closer to $200k and could not be built in the timeframe I have. It is also not intended for the most extreme of terrain, as the Jeep it. The Jeep's primary design objective was to create a camper with extreme trail performance and excellent road performance. I am still at the time in my life where extreme trail performance is very important to me. Mount Blanca, other 14'ers, Dusy Ershim and some crazy muddy track to a lost Mayan ruin are all on my radar. The XV-JP is the camper for those adventures.

Again, it comes back to what I want to drive. I totally dig the JK and the XV-JP concept. I am only 35 years old, so there will be MANY more interesting builds to come...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
expeditionswest said:
Well, in a sense I have built the XV-JP. I have been a part of the design process since it was just a drawing (and the JK was not even available yet). Many of the systems have my fingerprint on them. I really enjoy all of the people at EarthRoamer and genuinely believe in their company and product.

Scott, any chance we can get a article in OJ (or here) maybe detailing EarthRoamer assembling some of this?

I (and i am sure others) am VERY interested in the build process and how its all assembled.

The pics on their site (and my ER calendar. hehehe) are amazing and the work and passion that goes into these rigs is just plain awesome!

I would love to see more on the build/assembly process (even if its from them before you take delivery)! Any chance?

:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

boblynch

Adventurer
Packing Advice

Scott I sent you a bunch of PMs detailing what color socks are best for Chile, what model toothbrush I’d take, and the acceptable price for bug spray (just kidding). Not sure I could handle your new found "celebrity" with as much patience. I guess it’s the price of doing business.

To be perfectly honest I'm not that interested in what you're driving. I’m sure you’ll give us detailed OJ feedback on the Sportsmobile and ER when the time comes. However that pales in comparison to my interest in the routes you might take and places you might visit.

If I could get that much time off I’d go in your Trooper, Taco, or almost any mechanically-sound rig on this forum. I’m sure you guys will have a blast. Congratulations!

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal