Expeditions West: (JK) XV-JP Announcement Thread

madizell

Explorer
IXNAYXJ said:
Hahaha, are you serious?! Published curb weight for a 'Con is only 4100 lbs.

-----Matt-----
And an ER conversion with all the bells and whistles is only 1,400? Published curb weights are generally not accurate. My old CJ7 was 4,100 pounds from the factory with a 4 cylinder motor. The Liberty pushes 5,000. Besides, it was just a question about total weight. Yes, I am serious most of the time.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Desertdude said:
In the past I might have thought so too ...until I walked along side the XV-JP on the Rubicon Trail, shooting with my HD-Video camera, while Scott Drove the XV-JP EarthRoamer.

Excellent driver + Great vehicle = Maximum Experience :bowdown:

I agree that the XV-JP is a gret rig with what I expect is a very high build quality. And I also agree competely that a good driver makes a rig more capable and more reliable. I read the review/trip report from the XV-JP excursion earlier and was really impressed. tim will tell.

expeditionswest said:
I can certainly appreciate your differing opinion, but what experience or research has led you to this conclusion?
My experience's are having owned MANY chrysler/Jeep oproducts. While I will concide that the new trucks are of a higher standard, I'm still not convinced that they've gotten all of the bugs out.

As far as my attitude towards most non-yota platforms. I'ver turned the corner on my opinion of Land Rovers, and I've seen a fair few Nissans that were worth their mettle, but frankly: I belive Toyota (older espescialy) are the epitomy of tough trucks. I've Lived in and abused all types of trucks in Australia and I live in Oregon wich might just be one of the toughest wheeling environments on the planet outside of a central/south american rain forrest. I've put my derrier in ALOT of truck seats and personaly I've found that few match the experience that I've gotten in Toyotas. That said, I think it's the ONLY thing the do all that well. I certainly wouldn't look to toyota to build a proper track car ;)

I wasn't aiming to offend onyone with my statement, I think the new rig is going to be really neat, and I hope that the Toyota finds a good home because it is truly an amazing vehicle. I hope one day to be able to come out an meet some of the great people here on the boards. I have no issue wheeling/traveling with nearly anyone no matter what they drive, but I have VERY strong opinions about vehicle selection and I belive I have the experiences to match. I know that you do also and I respect that.

Cheers

Dave

Scott Brady

Founder
madizell said:
Seems to me that 5,500 is pretty likely just the Jeep.

That is for the EarthRoamer converted Jeep. They go to great lengths to reduce and manage weight of the conversion, though I do expect mine to be pretty heavy in expedition trim. I believe the D44 will be more than adequate for the end result and my driving style.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
I too am pro-Toyota in the "reliability" department. The Taco was especially reliable amongst Toyotas.

In the past I was very anti-Jeep and for the same reasons, reliability and trail breakage. With the new JK and available mods, Becky and I talk about buying one every time we see one. I am hooked though doubt I'll bite due to already having two Land Cruisers that are trail-ready. So I think Scott has made a great choice for his next build. The neat thing is that Scott will always have a "next build". Only time will tell which vehicle was his "greatest build". (I already know mine. :sombrero: )

Scott Brady

Founder
Thank you for your thoughts Dave. I do agree... Toyota rules on reliability. It is just fortunate that other manufacturers are gaining in this area as it provides some great options.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Thank you for your thoughts Dave. I do agree... Toyota rules on reliability. It is just fortunate that other manufacturers are gaining in this area as it provides some great options.
Agreed, unfortunately it seems as though Toyota is actualy slipping at the same time that the others are catching up...

Like I said, I can't WAIT to see what you do with this truck. Seing as you've already set the bar so high, I can only imagine this is going to be one hell of a vehicle. One thing I'll be interested to hear your opinion on is the weight distribution/WB differences. The old Taco was I'm sure heavy, but seemed to be lower and more spread out over a longer WB. The XV-JP appears to be more top heavy in a shorter (although maybe it's not shorter?) WB.

This kind of thing is what I would LOVE to have built for my 1st Gen runner. I think it's a geat idea that earthroamer is cpatalizing on.

Cheers

Dave

haven

Expedition Leader
the challenge

Looking over the specs of Scott's modified Taco and the Earthroamer XV-JP, I think either vehicle would be up to the tasks of overland travel in South America.

I think the real challenge in this journey will be psychological. Living away from home is disquieting, no matter how exciting the adventures experienced. Traveling for weeks on end can become very tiresome. When traveling with companions, it's difficult to give people the space they need when they're having a bad day.

Overland travelers can address some of these concerns by having a vehicle that has enough room to feel a little like home, instead of a like a backpack on wheels. The Earthroamer provides more of this feeling than the Taco, but it's still very small.

Not to worry -- this trip will not become a South American version of "Heart of Darkness." I'm only saying that it's important to consider the psychological issues as part of the trip preparations.

Chip Haven

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
haven said:
Looking over the specs of Scott's modified Taco and the Earthroamer XV-JP, I think either vehicle would be up to the tasks of overland travel in South America.

I think the real challenge in this journey will be psychological. Living away from home is disquieting, no matter how exciting the adventures experienced. Traveling for weeks on end can become very tiresome. When traveling with companions, it's difficult to give people the space they need when they're having a bad day.

Overland travelers can address some of these concerns by having a vehicle that has enough room to feel a little like home, instead of a like a backpack on wheels. The Earthroamer provides more of this feeling than the Taco, but it's still very small.

Not to worry -- this trip will not become a South American version of "Heart of Darkness." I'm only saying that it's important to consider the psychological issues as part of the trip preparations.

Chip Haven
Yeah, 4 weeks on a river or in a truck and me and my mates are at eachothers throats. It's funny how the people you love most can quickly become th oposite after some quality time stuck together ;)

Good points Chip.

Cheers

Dave

Maddmatt

Explorer
haven said:

Chip Haven

I've found that two things really help alleviate this issue:

1) Clear expectations up front. All parties need to state, before the trip begins, what they expect. I've been on too many week long mountain bike excursions where one or two guys thought they were going out to "session" 40 mile rides every day and spend the evenings dialing in their bikes, and one or two guys thought they were going for a morning ride / afternoon drinking binge - it leaves everybody else caught in the middle and all parties unhappy with the use of their all too valuable free time.

2) Not over scheduling. In a pinch in North America you can knock out 750 miles or more in a day, for one or two days, but it's just not realistic to keep that pace up long term.

Not that Scott needs to hear that from me, he knows this stuff more than anybody - just sharing my thoughts.
-Matt

kcowyo

ExPo Original
haven said:
Traveling for weeks on end can become very tiresome. When traveling with companions, it's difficult to give people the space they need when they're having a bad day.

I'm only saying that it's important to consider the psychological issues as part of the trip preparations.

Hmmm.... never had a bad day when travelling. I've had some unexpected things pop up, but that just adds flavor to the tale. I can't speak for my passengers though. ;)

The fatigue is real though. I believe a consistent & healthy diet on the road is an important element to overcome that. There also seems to be some kind of personal deflation when the trip crosses over from the planning stage to the doing it stage. When the initial elation fades and the reality of being on the road for weeks & weeks sets in, it can bring your system down a little. So yeah, good points Chip.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
kcowyo said:
Hmmm.... never had a bad day when travelling.
I definitely get a lot nicer to be around by the day as a trip progresses. By the end of a week on the road I'm downright chipper.

geodasher

Observer
Pardon the drool...

expeditionswest said:
Happy dad :) ... Easy drive back home... Having owned a Willys, CJ7, YJ and TJ, the evolution of highway manners while also increasing trail performance is just so impressive to me. ...
I like Jeeps but at first glance I am put off by the XV-JP's short driving range, marginal engine with poor economy, limited load capacity, small interior with no real work area, no lockable storage, and the unknown durability of the loft top. You've already mentioned many modifications and it will be interesting to see how you work with the Jeep platform. I'm sure many of us will be watching and drooling.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Expedition Portal Logo

Scott,
Something just dawned on me while perusing our beloved Expediton Portal website. Are you going to update the loge to show the new rig in due time or is the trusty Tacoma going to continue to be a beacon of this great website? I prefer the Tacoma but I'm tainted! :sombrero:

saltamontes

Observer
hmmmmm

130k+ and then another 20k for an after market CRD addition?

i would be thinking Unimog at those prices.

sorry, not on the bandwagon w/ this one. Way too much money for only moving a stove/sink/fridge inside a small shell. And you're going to also tow the AT?
For what? 2nd spare tire and gas?

also i would have waited at least till the end of this month when the '09 build sheets are out from jeep to see if the stock hemi or diesel is '09 or 2010.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
saltamontes said:
also i would have waited at least till the end of this month when the '09 build sheets are out from jeep to see if the stock hemi or diesel is '09 or 2010.

I know I wouldn't put my life on hold for future perks. I can't speak for Scott, but when an oppportunity comes up you do your best with what you have and what's available to make a sucessful venture.

I would bet that IF Toyota made a brand new FZJ80 Land Cruiser, TODAY, 2008 model year, he might be building it instead. Scott? They do not though so we have to select from what's available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3