Expeditions West: (JK) XV-JP Announcement Thread

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
Photog said:
The first Unlimiteds were 2 doors, with long bodies, almost like the Scrambler. Maybe that was the platform for the first XV-JP.
The TJ Unlimiteds ("LJs") were never used by EarthRoamer. All the XV-JPs start life as JK Unlimiteds, aka 4-dr models, which are significantly larger then the LJs were.

Is there going to be a full build-up article in O.J.?

-----Matt-----

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
expeditionswest said:
XV-JP.jpg

Awesome! Looking good! This will be an AWESOME build to follow! :safari-rig:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I know you're psyched for the new toy, and I share your excitement somewhat. I MEAN WHATEVER IT IS, IT'S ALWAYS NICE TO GET SOJMETHING NEW AND SHINY

But I gotta say it. I Like the Taco SOOOOO much more and belive it will, in the long run prove tohave been a far better platform. Time will tell, but my money's not on the Jeep.

Cheers

Dave

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
4Rescue said:
But I gotta say it. I Like the Taco SOOOOO much more and belive it will, in the long run prove tohave been a far better platform. Time will tell, but my money's not on the Jeep.

In the past I might have thought so too ...until I walked along side the XV-JP on the Rubicon Trail, shooting with my HD-Video camera, while Scott Drove the XV-JP EarthRoamer.

Excellent driver + Great vehicle = Maximum Experience :bowdown:

Scott Brady

Founder
4Rescue said:
Time will tell, but my money's not on the Jeep.

Cheers

Dave

I can certainly appreciate your differing opinion, but what experience or research has led you to this conclusion? The Jeep is too new to gauge it's reliability against a new Tacoma. One could infer, but with Toyota's slipping and Jeep's gaining in reliability rankings, I think the spread is much less than it used to be. Combined with the JK's class-leading trail performance, I am willing to bank the price of a small house on this vehicle.

Unless you have spent time in a JK on the trail, you have not had the experience of that platforms exceptional capabilities. My experience with Wrangler products has been flawless, with none of my Wranglers experiencing a single manufacturer related failure. Jeep on a whole has improved markedly in the past few years, whereas Toyota reliability rankings have slipped from first place to FIFTH! in one year. Again, this is not to take anything away from Toyota, and their awesome trucks, but I believe the JK is a winner on several accounts. There is nothing close on trail performance (in stock form) and the availability of the EarthRoamer camper made it an easy choice.

For the most part, your posts regarding any other platform but a Toyota appear to be negative. Why is this? I can certainly respect being pro-Toyota, but why be anti-everything-else?

Scott Brady

Founder
Boston Mangler said:
I dont disagree with you often, but this time, i strongly do!

Thats cool amigo. I was just relating my personal experience with Wranglers, which has been flawless.

Then again, I tend to be pretty lucky with reliability, which I think is mostly because of my ultra-anal PM routines. ;)

imagodave

Adventurer
I look forward to watching Scott spend $$$$$. I was over @ Sportsmobile the other day (WOW!) and found them just to big for the tight stuff I get up on in the Sierras and have driven the 4-dr Rubi and like it allot and look forward to seeing the transformation of your new toy. I will watch this build with anticipation and awe.:bowdown:

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
expeditionswest said:
Then again, I tend to be pretty lucky with reliability, which I think is mostly because of my ultra-anal PM routines. ;)

:sombrero:

FYI, i think you might need to change the title to

"SCOTTYS NEW RIG ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD" :D

That way, when the modding begans, you can start the "Build" thread and its easier to follow! :D :D :D

I am VERY interested in seeing how Earthroamer does their magic!

The interior pics of the green jeep are just straight up amazing! Super sweet craftsmenship!

Last edited:
Scott, what you did with the Toyota was creative, useful, unseen and unreal. You took such a basic platform and turned it into one of the most enviable vehicles I have ever seen. Personally, I am somewhat emotional to see that you are selling it, although I have never seen it in person or driven it to the amazing places you have.

But what you did with the Tacoma I feel will be dwarfed by the performance, ability and design of the XV-JP, and where you'll take it. Good luck with the build, and please keep being an inspiration to us all.

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
...I am willing to bank the price of a small house on this vehicle.
Willing...? You did!

I have to say, when I saw the first pics of the XP-JV-LMNOP (whatever) I was pretty skeptical. My first thought was of COG, then how much it would cost to repair the fiberglass the first time you tag a tree with it (a reality on tight Pacific NorthWest trails), the list goes on.

After touring their facility and seeing an XK-JP mid-construction, I stood corrected. I also got to look at a bunch of their full-size Ford creations and found the craftsmanship and design to be superb. This should be a great project, one (once it gets a new motor) will be a stupendiously versatile rig.

I can't wait to see one built up for serious trial use!

-----Matt-----

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Prowd new owner

expeditionswest said:
Happy dad :)

Congrats Scott. I love both pictures of you wiht the new Tacoma and again with the new Jeep. Well done. :bowdown:

articulate said:
Perhaps a pool: which comes first, the Exped West decals or the fording kit?

I'm with mountainpete on this one, decals first!

This will be a fun thread to follow. :safari-rig:

madizell

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
After establishing the functional specifications for the JP, we reviewed all of the Rubicon systems for sufficient durability (i.e. reserve capacity).

Here are the specifications on the axle, which I more than sufficient IMO

Dana 44 Front Axle: 3,300 Rating
Dana 44 Rear Axle: 4,500 Rating

Nearly 8,000 lb. of rated axle capacity, which is about 2,500 lb. above the JP's weight.

A small margin valid only on level terrain while sitting still. On a moderate incline, a majority of the total vehicle weight will be born by only one axle, which will probably exceed the rated limit of that axle. Just a thought. Also, is the 5,500 pounds mentioned for the Jeep alone, or the ER conversion completed? Seems to me that 5,500 is pretty likely just the Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3