Expeditions West: (JK) XV-JP Announcement Thread

Scott Brady

Founder
DaJudge said:
Scott,

Are you coming through the Albuquerque area on your way home? We would love to get a look at the new ride!:bowdown:

I am there now ;)

Just a quick stop on the way home. The Jeep is stock (essentially) right now.

I will be driving back to Denver in June and it would be awesome to do an ExPo meet and greet here.

I will be sure to keep everyone informed of the dates.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
madizell said:
Not being a tire engineer or physics genius, I can't say for sure why they didn't work, but personally I believe it is because of the slip angle of the block tread and the general lack of ability to clear without flinging. Whatever it is, we were so unimpressed with them on wet trails that they came right back off and were sold to someone else. When BFG offered a set for the OBC effort in 2003, the offer was declined, both for the reason that they are not good enough in mud and because they didn't fit the box.
madizell said:
madizell said:
To be fair, I would have to try the KM2's myself to be certain, but as the tread design is a knockoff of the Krawler, I wouldn't have a lot of confidence going in that the result would be greatly different. Hence my comments. Hopefully, this year's team will have tested various tires and already know what they are about. I still wish them well and would like to be there myself.

That ends the sermon.
madizell said:
madizell said:
madizell said:
madizell said:
I know nothing of the Krawler or BFG KM2's development. The online video I watched about the KM2 did tout it's lateral flex zones (on rocks) but I don't remember much about mud/slush. Looking at the tread seems to reinforce what you said above about the tread possibly not clearing without flinging. I like that they will be available in 255/85R16 like the current KM, but, the tread appears very different from almost all other 'Mud' tires. Did BFG figure out something and make a radical change that no others have been able to discover? Or did they possibly just make a great, new all-around off-highway traction tire and 'mud' traction was/is not the #1 priority regardless of the name?

Scott has been such a long-time BFG MT fan it will be interesting to see what he uses on this new Jeep expedition rig. Old/Current BFG tread, new KM2, or something different?

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Cmon guys, i think you should move your "Tire Chat" to email or PM and let this thread continue as a build up on Scottys new rig, not a personal tire discussion.

Thanks!

Scotty, we need some pics brother! :smiley_drive:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I'm in awe and I don't know why, it's not like you'd pick anything with less 'wow factor.' I had a hunch you'd choose this awesome platform.

I can't wait for details - this is going to be a LOOOONG thread...LOL

Scott Brady

Founder
Happy dad :)

XV-JP.jpg

Easy drive back home... Having owned a Willys, CJ7, YJ and TJ, the evolution of highway manners while also increasing trail performance is just so impressive to me. It has the MiGiG too (looks ok so far, but reserving final thoughts).

In addition, I cannot tell you all how impressive the new EarthRoamer facility is. Graham and I spent about an hour touring it with Bill. Maybe we can talk Matt into letting us have an ExPo meet and greet there and BBQ and have a few beers there. It is a dreamworks for sure...

DaJudge

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I am there now ;)

Just a quick stop on the way home. The Jeep is stock (essentially) right now.

I will be driving back to Denver in June and it would be awesome to do an ExPo meet and greet here.

I will be sure to keep everyone informed of the dates.

Sounds great! Let us know. There are quite a few of us in the area!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Happy dad :)

XV-JP.jpg

Easy drive back home... Having owned a Willys, CJ7, YJ and TJ, the evolution of highway manners while also increasing trail performance is just so impressive to me. It has the MiGiG too (looks ok so far, but reserving final thoughts).

In addition, I cannot tell you all how impressive the new EarthRoamer facility is. Graham and I spent about an hour touring it with Bill. Maybe we can talk Matt into letting us have an ExPo meet and greet there and BBQ and have a few beers there. It is a dreamworks for sure...

where is their facility again? nevermind, denver, right?

what is the total cost estimated at?
$70k?
$100k?

Scott Brady

Founder
BIGdaddy said:
where is their facility again? nevermind, denver, right?

what is the total cost estimated at?
$70k?
$100k?

Yeah, Denver area, on the way to DIA. Great view of the front range.

Basically, you are looking at a Rubicon 4-Door cost, plus 70-85K for the expedition upfitment, depending on options. The amount of systems, integration and suspension/trail performance modifications is impressive. I am not sure where mine will end up at, as we are going pretty trick on suspension, tires, wheels, aux. tanks, nav and communications. Much of the this will be available from EarthRoamer once the testing cycle is complete.

Matt has all of the details matt@earthroamer.com

kcowyo

ExPo Original
expeditionswest said:

Seems like just yesterday that we saw that same big happy, cheesy grin while you stood in front of a new '04 stock double cab Tacoma at the local Toyota dealership.

Man, time flies....

Looking forward to how much this build and outfit will blow me away. Let the coolness commence!

:beer:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
:jump:

I searched a little but couldn't find that pic. That's awesome Scott, absolutely classic! :bowdown:

***edit - So wait a minute.... You have the 4 door JK, but the Earthroamer XV-JP is built on a 2 door Unlimited platform... So will this be the first 4 door JK XV-JP or did I miss something? What gives?

:lurk:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Awesome! Once again Scott Brady leading the way... :clapsmile

Bluetooth hands-free calling might be a nice feature with Mygig :iagree:

articulate

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
***edit - So wait a minute.... You have the 4 door JK, but the Earthroamer XV-JP is built on a 2 door Unlimited platform... So will this be the first 4 door JK XV-JP or did I miss something? What gives?

:lurk:
Nah, man, the Unlimiteds are 4 doors. ER must re-do the body, I presume, to get rid of those two back doors.

Edit - that Brady grin is the one that launches a thousand RTW dream trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3